Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been doing a lot of reading and I've started to get into the habit of carrying in the truck.(Im a student so I have to make sure that its not in the truck when I'm in class). I've got a holster for my 24/7 but its so damn uncomfortable that I've realized I need something a bit more "Compact" for when I carry on myself. I need suggestions lots of them. Theres so many choices that I just dont know. I love the reliability of revolvers but I like the fact that I get an extra few rounds with the pistol. So I'm looking for a compact pistol in 9mm. I've thought of this so far.

KelTec PF 9. Good price. Very compact. Reliability Questionable. Difficult to aim Not so good reviews from gun-tests.

Glock 26. Decent price. Glock Reliability. Not too compact.

Ruger 101. Tank of a gun. Only five shots. Not too compact. Higher Priced

Sig 220. Sig reliability/quality. Seems to be toward the larger size. High Price and I dont know much about this gun.

Taurus 605. Good price, but I havent been the happiest of my other taurus revolver quality. So this revolver is not going to be a candidate.

Taurus Millenium Pro. Great Price. Relatively compact. Questionable Reliability

So heres the direction I'm heading in. I love my Taurus guns but I think they are Great guns but I'd rather stick toward pistols that have better track records. Everyone has there lemons but I think I'd rather one of these pistols over a millenium. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Administrator
35,272 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Ruger SP101. Glock, Sig, are thicker than alot of people realize, according to recent reviews. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Taurus PT111 has 'questionable reliability'.....have you had any specific problems with it that make you say that?

I have a new Keltec PF9 and I've put 50 rounds through it with zero issues. I'll probably put 100 more through it this week and when I put 400 or so through it, I'll feel pretty comfortable with it. At .88 inch wide, it's pretty easy to conceal, even with the finger rest on the bottom of the mag. It sure won't replace my PT145, but it does give me a ton more options in hot weather.

·
Super Moderator
21,521 Posts
The smallest gun I got other then taurus 85 I use speed strips there easier to carry then a speed loader but slower to load. Is a XD-9. The PT 111, ansd 145 have a good track record around here and the 145 is on my short list to buy. just my opinion :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dammit the more I read the more choices there are.
Kel Tec PF9
Taurus Millenium Pro
Bersa
XD9

I've crossed out the glock and the sig due to size. I'm really liking the millenium due to the safety but I'm not sure its compact enough for me to carry. It seems exactly like the 24/7 only an inch shorter in length and height. Am I wrong?
I think the KelTec is ugly but its the nicest size and cheapest and thats why I'm leaning that way.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. From what I have read, pretty much all of the guns listed seem to be decent options for cc. With that being said, just find the one that you think will work for you. Taking in to account the thickness and weight.
I carry a full size glock model 22 the majority of the time. However, when my dress doesn't allow for a full size pistol, I do not have worries of any kind strapping on the pt 111. I have had it for five and a half years and have never had a malfunction of any kind... not even one. I have been a little overbearing with the cleanliness of my pistols though. They may show a little character on the outside, but they shine like a new penny on the inside. So whatever you choose, just make sure you keep it maintained properly. One day you may just have to use it to save yourself.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear you guys and thanks for the input. So I guess I got to decide against the KelTec and the Millenium Pro.
Help me weigh these out.
KelTec-Cheap, Highly Compact, Difficulty Aiming,

Millenium-Good price, Compact, Better Aimer, SAFETY.

So I have to decide if the kel tec is worth the compact size, I just dont think that the millenium is going to work since I spend most my time in shorts. My only experience carrying is with the 24/7 and its out of the question in my opinion. The millenium seems too close in size to really be a candidate, but I do LOVE the SAFETY switch.
Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey bugs. I have 2 MIL PROs (PT140 3rd gen & PT111 3rd gen) both are good firearms. All 3rd gen MIL PROs are the same size. These are what I carry ALL the time. They are very comfortable IWB. During hot weather, I wear a lightweight shirt next to the skin & tucked in, this keeps the holster and firearm from chaffing against the skin. Then a loose short sleeve shirt not tucked in to cover the firearm. It works well for me and makes the MIL PROs completely concealed.
I have never shot an KelTec, so I can't help you there in comparison.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Here is another option, until the 9 mm version comes out. Only 6 +1 but a bit smaller than the double stack Mil pro.
MODEL: PT-745 Compact Millennium Pro
SAFETY: Manual Safety,
TYPE: Semi-Automatic Pistol
SIGHTS:Heinie Straight Eight Sights
CALIBER: 45AP BARREL LENGTH: 3.25"
FINISH: Satin Stainless Steel Slide,
Black Poly Frame OVERALL LENGTH: 6"
ACTION: Double Action WEIGHT: 20.8 oz
STOCK: Black Polymer PACKAGING:
CAPACITY: 6+1

·
Super Moderator
21,521 Posts
There is a lot of good advice up here all by seasoned pro's so, with shorts I can carry a full size 1911 and a 38 bug in my pocket and at 100 plus degrees its hot here to, depends on how bad you want to save your life. Get a good holster a better belt or where thunder where sp they hide the gun in your croch. You have options you just don't want to make it .The pt 111,or 145 wold work fine with the right equipment. with texas and Robby chimeinin you are looking at a lot of info and expirence, plus I'm no beginner either have fun choosing and let us know. Buy the way i'm driveing my friend crazy with what AR to buy so I feel for you. :) oh don't forget Robbies last sugestion its thiner but holds 6+1 which is plenty unless you hang out with gangs LOL :) don't for get your reload just in case. :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Another option from Kel-Tec is the P11. It is 1" thick but otherwise very similar in size to the PF9. It holds 10 rounds and is 14.4 oz. without ammo in it. This is my favorite gun to carry.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here is a suggestion for warm weather. I live in Houston, so I wear shorts and t-shirts a lot. Regardless of what gun you choose (I carry a PT 111) here is what I do. I bought me some sleeveless undershirts, you know, the ones affectionally known as wife beater undershirts. With these I can wear a t-shirt untucked with an undershirt that doesn't show either at the sleeves or the collar, so no one sees it, and I have the gun on my belt (IWB) fairly confortably. If you get a tuckable holster, I have a Comptac CTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/pro...id=61&osCsid=a3d4eab3fab86c0a14417bbf1e9d4612) then you have the option of going tucked in or untucked.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hows the xd9. Its now a new candidate.

·
Registered
493 Posts
bugs said:
hows the xd9. Its now a new candidate.
I love my XDsc9. It is compact and very accurate. I've hit clays from almost 50 yards. I carry mine in a crossbread holster. I wear shorts a lot also and have no problem carrying with that setup. My two favorite guns are the 24/7 and XDsc9 so if you want something besides your 24/7 you will be happy with the XD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another way to look at this problem is from the angle of - What are you going to carry in (holster, pocket, fanny pack, man purse, etc.)?

I know of individuals that carry a 1911, even in the heat of summer. So, size is not necessarily a problem.

An option with shorts is the SmartCarry. An internal fanny pack that is suppose to be very comfortable.

If you are looking at the XD line, then also consider the XD40 or XD45. Remember, you always want to carry the largest caliber you feel comfortable carrying and shooting. If you are still thinking of the Mill Pro, then the same applies, largest caliber you feel comfortable with.

If looking at revolvers, also consider the Springfield models. About the same price point as the Ruger's and very reliable.

In any case, think long and hard about the type of clothes you have (or will have), the carry method (holster), and the gun you will carry. Many times it turns into a matter of trial and error before you find the set up you are most happy with. Unfortunately, that method gets expensive (like we need an excuse to buy another gun <hee, hee>).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I carry the 24/7 Pro inside a Crossbreed SuperTuck daily and am not uncomfortable with it at all.

I also wear a sleeveless undershirt (tank top/wife beater) or an old t-shirt with the sleeves surgically removed. I keep it tucked in with a thin cotton over shirt. Sometimes a polo style but mostly button up "bowling" or "Hawaiian" style shirts. The only time you might notice that I have a gun is when I bend over, squat or sit in an open style chair (like at a restaurant). But with some behavior modification (like sitting in a booth or near the wall with body between your gun and the rest of the public) maybe a holster position change of an inch or two, and paying attention to what you do, printing can be minimal. I am also a fairly large guy so concealing a full size gun like the 24/7 is slightly easier for me. But only slightly.

The next gun I buy will either be a 24/7 Pro Compact, PT-709 (when it's available), PT-851 UL, or maybe a Mil Pro.

·
Super Moderator
21,521 Posts
I'm seeing your having carry issue with usualy easy guns to hide inplain site. I buy pants 2" to big this helps a lot and gives you the room to carry comfortabley we've given you some good idea's so I started thinking outside the box there's something bothering you somewhere because I can carry a 4" xd-9 easy with shorts and t-shirt add the wife beater it works. So maybe you have not tried larger pants just a guess. Please we are all trying to help you and with all good ententions :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the respones and I think I found what I want. Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact.
Its got manual safety. Great Quality. Good size. I just gotta find one for sale around here.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dammit no body has one of these things for sale. I hear different things every day. Guess I'm back to where I started.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did it. I bought a Millenium Pro. I hope I went the right way. The Beretta 9000s was tough to find and most new ones were around 500 and I heard mixed reviews. So I bought a stainless Millenium today.

·
Registered
179 Posts
good choice I think you'll be happy with the mill-pro. I love my 24/7 9mm Pro but its alot to carry. I'm in the market for the mill-pro 45 to make my carry weapon when I get my CCL in the mail.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts