Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what your experiences are in how the 24/7 Pro performs. I went to the LGS and handled every .45 they had. I liked the 24/7 pro best in my hand. I want to know what real owners have to say about how they shoot and what kind of reliability they have experienced.

·
Registered
147 Posts
azmark said:
I've got an add-on question...how different is the OSS than the standard 24/7 Pro?
AS i have never had a 24/7 Pro I really can't speak to that. I do have a Taurus 40SW that i have had though for about 8 months and i can say it is a very good shooter and quite dependable, i have carried it as a daily carry for quite a while now.

I just purchased a Taurus 24/7 OSS yesterday and haven't even had a chance to fire it yet, i plan on going to the range today. So far i love it, fits my hand like a glove. It seems a tad bit heavier than my Kimber 1911, but that should probably translate into less recoil, i hope... The 12 + 1 capacity is very nice and if it is as good a shooter as i have heard it will quickly replace my 40 as an every day carry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I'm reading up on those links I got from quiks draw, here's another opinion question for y'all. This gun will be used for defense as well as fun. I have no qualms about using a .45 against human threats...its record there is pretty solid. There is, however, a slight possibility that I could run into a mountain lion on one of my morning walks. I do see tracks regularly that are either from the biggest damn bobcat around or from a mountain lion. I'm choosing the .45 partly on the "ease of carry" factor. Am I nuts to not just get a .357 mag and deal with the extra weight of a revolver? From a common-sense standpoint, it seems like a 230 grain bullet of proper design should be adequate for just about anything.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I'll assume your in AZ---hence your name. ;)
I too go for morning runs occassionally near the Salt River and have seen a mountain lion or 2. The .45 ACP is plenty enough to stop a mountain lion.
So, no, you're not crazy at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I'm in AZ. I don't know where the Salt River is, but I'm in Palominas, which is south of Sierra Vista, where Ft. Huachuca is, for you Army-types. Border Patrol tells me I'm less than a mile from Mexico. I've only seen one mountain lion myself, but neighbors have seen a couple more. I hear we have Jaguars here now, too. Read one verifiable report from a Fish and Game official in the paper, and heard of a sighting by a guy working in a gun shop. Don't really want to run into one of those, either. I prefer them in the zoo ;D

NYPD in AZ said:
I'll assume your in AZ---hence your name. ;)
I too go for morning runs occassionally near the Salt River and have seen a mountain lion or 2. The .45 ACP is plenty enough to stop a mountain lion.
So, no, you're not crazy at all.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The part of the Salt river that I run is in Mesa.

·
32,734 Posts
There are .45ACP links, including some who carry as a backup in hunting country. Those can be brought up if needed. Just say the word.

Didn't want to get you overloaded with stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only problem I've encountered with my 24/7 pro is that the mags that came with it wouldn't handle the 230 grain load. They kept "nosediving" instead of feeding. After I replaced them. No more trouble. I've used many brands and loads. No FTF at all. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
If I was 1 mile from the border I'b be worried about the two legged critters.

·
32,734 Posts
Evil two legged varmints are a much more likely encounter than with the local 4 legged kind. Most four legged critters are wary of man and will shy a way.

The ratio of actual nasty encounters where a firearm was needed to deal with criminals in the outdoors versus the need to defend against wild animals is way off the charts. It comes down squarely in favor of having to deal with humans more than wild creatures.

Feral dogs,pigs ( don't laugh, it happens), and other such animals are also a threat more and more in the great outdoors.

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Reliability is excellent - I never have any issues with ammo or jamming. I really like having 12+1 rounds in my magazine, it's very comforting.....

the OSS has an ambi safety and magazine release, and the slide is longer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ares said:
The only problem I've encountered with my 24/7 pro is that the mags that came with it wouldn't handle the 230 grain load. They kept "nosediving" instead of feeding. After I replaced them. No more trouble. I've used many brands and loads. No FTF at all. I love it.
What brand of magazines do you recommend?

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
I'm not aware of any 3rd party manufacturer - if you have a problem with your mags, you send them in to Taurus. Turnaround time is approx. 3 weeks.

I haven't had this problem, by the way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Evil two legged varmints are a much more likely encounter than with the local 4 legged kind. Most four legged critters are wary of man and will shy a way.

The ratio of actual nasty encounters where a firearm was needed to deal with criminals in the outdoors versus the need to defend against wild animals is way off the charts. It comes down squarely in favor of having to deal with humans more than wild creatures.

Feral dogs,pigs ( don't laugh, it happens), and other such animals are also a threat more and more in the great outdoors.
So True!! I have a small acreage with my house and I don't leave without being armed for a walk on the land. I've found evidence of Wild Boar or Feral Pig on my land less than 200 yards from my house. We moved from the city which eliminated most of our 2 legged problems. However the last thing I want to run up on while walking my Retrivers is a Wild Boar/Feral Pig!! We also have Coyote here as well.

But before I digress off the subject, my hubby has a 24/7 .45ACP as his main handgun. I carry a .40 S&W 24/7 Pro. At times we will carry revolvers out on the land, either a .357 or a .44 Magnum. Any of these firearms will stop wildlife in a second but be prepared to shoot instantly. Animals, especially one that has been riled will not wait to attack. While most wildlife will choose to retreat, Pigs and dogs are different. Be safe rather than sorry. Our 24/7's have proven very reliable, they handle different ammo well, and we have not had any feeding issues. LOL the only issue I've had has always been traced to "user error" on my part.

·
32,734 Posts
Add to that just a few weeks ago a cougar was killed inside Chicago. The wee little beasty went through Minnesota ( he was leaving as fast as he could, lol)

Went through this area and on down to the Windy City where local officers ahd to shoot it. Wisconsin DNR were busy telling people who saw it they were kookie and were up with the Sasquatch and U.F.O. sightings. Turns out the citizens were correct and the DNR folks blew the call as usual.

Last year black bears were running rampant through towns and cities in this part of the country. Darting or shooting bears seemed to be a constant news item.

Chicago authorities had to shoot a bear last year. So the critters do get around.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, Quiks Draw...If you have some good .45 ACP links, I'm willing to do some reading. I plan to reload for it too, so I'll be doing research, etc. Everyone needs a hobby.

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Oh Gosh, everybody get back !!! An open-ended request for information from Qwiks !!!! Run for the hills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts