Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the new guy...

After picking up my new PT 1911, A 5" Taurus .22 LR revolver caught my eye. I believe it was a model 94? 9 shot with rubber type grips. It was the only one left and sported a $289.00 price tag.

I went home and checked the Taurus sight and did a search here, but cannot find any info on it. Not sure if it was a d/c model. I really liked the looks and feel of it. However, I would like to know more about it.

Can anyone educate me on this great looking piece?

TIA

Kept searching and think I found it. I believe it's the model 94B5.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Re: Need info on Model 29? .22 5" revolver

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. :)

That fine revolver is the Taurus M94. I have that particular model listed in the picture below and have owned two others in the past as well. From personal experience they're fantastic little revolvers and mine [as well as the two I owned prior] had and have been trouble free. The only complaints I've seen lodged against them from other owners are the DA pull which is a little heavy though not by any means unmanageable. Over time mine has lightened with use and it breaks like a glass rod. If you have any specifics you'd like to know, please feel free to ask. :)

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=389&category=Revolver

·
32,573 Posts
Do have the blued 5 in barreled 94. There are also a lot of threads and posts in the revolver board dealing with the 94 if one does a search or reads the older threads.

There are those who like the gun and get good use from it.

The trigger pull is stiff and tough. Went with 500 + reps of dryfiring with .22lrf snapcaps and this smoothed things out and lessened the DA trigger pull to acceptable levels. SA trigger release was never a problem.

Accuracy is decent and any.22lrf ammo will work. Can't say that for semi-autos. Do own a Ruger .22lrf semi-auto.

There are staff and members here who either use it for hunting or as an understudy gun to the centerfire revolvers. Cheaper to shoot and learn the basics with over it's larger brethren. Same for staying proficient.

While shooting the bigger guns is fun and a necessity to stay current, shooting at the range needs to have goals and these can be met by using the rimfire.

For the elderly or physically handicapped, a revolver in .22lrf may be all that they can handle. This includes loading,unloading,firing,and maintenance.

Have had the 94 for the almost a decade know and no problems.

So there is a precedent for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's my older wooden grips, but LNIB Model 94

I like it very much and don't mind the trigger one bit. In fact, I had it at the range today and was hitting a 2" steel pole more often then not when aiming at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The jury is still out for me. Here is my experience . . .

I picked up my first model 94 about two weeks ago, blue, 4" barrel.

I really wanted the stainless 4" but couldn't find one at the price I wanted to pay, so I broke down and got the blue.
- out of the box was incredibly dirty and greasy like it was packed in grease, took a couple of cleanings to get the slippery stuff off
- cleaned out the barrel and cylinder and got a lot of shiny hard slivers - machine shavings?
- first time at the range - good news is that the trigger is heavy but ok, I got reasonable accuracy both DA and SA and I am sure it will improve with age. I'm still learning the DA revolver action and this is a learning tool.
- first time bad news - anywhere from 2 to 4 out of 9 ftf with light strikes or strikes way out on the edge of the rim
- gunsmith at the shop thinks it is timing or alignment, either way it was not for him to tackle so they sent it back to Taurus

I'll post a report when I get it back and have some consistent time at the range. My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well its been two months and I got the revolver back. Taurus says they replaced the firing pin. I filled the cylinder with snap caps and the firing pin strikes look a lot deeper and more consistent than before. Of course only a range session will tell but as I am heading out of town that will have to wait a week. I'll post a target when I go out.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Boyscout,

First let me welcome you to the forum. Secondly it sounds as though Taurus addressed the problem and corrected it from what you said regarding the snap caps. I look forward to hearing your range report with your M94 when you have the opportunity to comment on it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Taurus Model 94 Small Frame Revolver 2940059, 22 LR, 5", Rubber Grip, Stainless Finish, 9 Rd
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=84134

Looks like a Taurus Clone with an extra INCH...<:))
Comanche Model I .22 Long Rifle 22 lr 6" Stainless 9 Rd
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90408629

LLAMA COMANCHE I .22 L.R. REVOLVER. THIS IS ONE TERRIFIC LOOKING PISTOL AND COMES WITH LLAMA WOODEN GRIPS
LLama Comanche I Revolver .22 L.R. 6 BBL
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90083105

·
Registered
11 Posts
Taurus did a good job fixing my model 94. Finally got her out to the range and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went through about 100 rounds, mostly Remington Gold and some Velocitors. By the end of the session the accumulated dirt was making it tough to load the cylinder but it still functioned fine. The target is all at 7 yards, double action, some double-taps but mostly taking my time. The 94 is heavy enough that you don't notice the difference between the Remington's and the CCI rounds. Still wish I had waited for stainless but it is a good plinker nonetheless.

·
32,573 Posts
Very good shooting. Gun and shooter that is. :D My 94 is tight enough that grime can cause problems at the 75 round mark at times if I do not keep the gun scrupuously cleaned after a session at the range.
On the other hand this revolver gets used enough to keep me revolver current when the ammo prices for .357 maggy and .38 Special mean a bigger bite in the wallet. 22lrf practice just makes it more enjoyable money and recoil wise.

There are those who use the .22lrf for protection. That's all the person/'s can handle or can afford either due to physical,recoil, or for budget concerns.

While larger calibers are desireable there are those for who this will be a savior. Mas Ayoob ( Yes, he's against mouse guns but changing his views because of some circumstances and cases) and other writers/trainers have in the last few years, are giving thumbs up to cases where the physically challenged used the .22lrf to save one's bacon or their loved ones and nothing else could be used. This is not to tout the .22lrf as main home gun by any means. Just that if used by resolute people it can save the day.
HKS makes a nifty speed reloader that makes loading/reloading range use and defense much easier. No fumbling of the tiny rounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings everyone

I just bought a 94/22 4" stainless. It took a while to get all of the shipping junk off of it before running rounds through it.

Here is the problem with it:

After firing a couple of rounds, the cylinder gets stuck. It will not roll to the next shot, cannot open it. After a couple of light taps of the barrel to the bench, you can either open it or fire the next round till it sticks again. Are the shell casings backing out of the cylinder just a little causing this problem? Am I using the wrong ammo for it?

I had bought this gun for my wife to shoot. It's a challenge for her to pull the hammer back on it.

The ammo I am running is:

Federal 22LR

Thank your for your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
runamuck,

I can sympathize with you. I didn't keep my blued model very long (the finish just didn't grow on me) but then picked up a 4" stainless. This one worked well out of the box, DA trigger was heavy like all the other commenters said and the SA was good. But, like many .22lr revolvers with tight tolerances they get dirty easily and the dirt can jam up the cylinder. I couldn't go through a box of 50 without having to have a rag and an old toothbrush around to scrape off the accumulated crud. It wasn't unusual for me to pound the extractor post on the shooting bench to extract the rounds. My conclusion is this: the first couple of cylinders will be very reliable but after that it goes down quickly until it gets cleaned out. I no longer have the stainless model either. I've got an old S&W 63 on the way. I expect a better trigger but the same cleaning issues. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have two 94's , bought at the same time....one blue and one is stainless. Both 4".

To make it short....both had problems with grime in them when new. Both had rough stiff triggers.

After cleaning (and buffing the firing pin on the stainless, it was causing misfires because it was tight in the hole) both got better. After 100's of dry fires and 1000's of rounds they have both gotten much smoother. Trigger is now a little stiff but really pretty good on both.

Both guns would "lock up" when new occasionally and the actions really felt gritty....this has pretty much gone away as they have been shot. And these guns have each had several 1000 rounds through them now. Working at home and having the range next to the shop is a good thing!

Here is the big deal.....EVERY TYPE/BRAND of un-plated bullets I have used will lead the chambers and barrel in less than 10 rounds. My first post here were about my experience.

Certain brands of ammo misfire more than others but the Winchester plated ( Wally World, 333 round packs) have been 100% reliable and very accurate. The un-plated Winchester on the other hand are among the worst at leading....go figure.

Using the plated bullets I have fired as many as 400 rounds with no loss of accuracy or problems.....but I can't stress this enough....with ANY un-plated bullet, within 10 rounds they will start to key hole.

I like the 94's a lot.....and have been practicing shooting both simultaneously. Bouncing a can around with 2 revolvers alternating shots looks real impressive when done rapidly. Since none of my buddies will ever see this I'll tell my "secret".

I sure hope you guys appreciate this....since I have no hope what so ever of actually aiming 2 revolvers and firing them like this accurately, I only aim the one in my right hand! I hold them close together but the left one I am just shooting in the direction of the can. I empty both guns so fast and hit it enough that my easily fooled friends think I am the best shot in the world! No one has figured it out.....the usual comment is "Damn!" or "Holy crap".

Hey, if you can't do it for real at least try and do a good job of faking it, right?

HD
BTW....all comments apply to both guns.....they have been identical in their quirks.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
To me, everyone seems to have a different story on the 94. Tough DA, Gritty trigger pull, getting dirty often (if ammo is wrong), and others. Most people love them or hate them. I am a revolver lover, I have not pulled the trigger and bought one yet. I think if you have a problem, with a sticky cylinder, or advancement of cylinder, it could be involved in the advancement area, possibly not all the dirt and heavy shipping material is not cleaned out.
A fix to try, is one of the spray cleaners, until the over spray comes out clean, then relube lightly. Or if you feel handy, take the side plate off and clean the whole trigger mechanism. (if your like me, I hesitate to take that plate off, even though I have been told it is not that big a deal. I just do not want to carry a bag of parts to a gunsmith later)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have two M94's (blued 4" and 5") and houndog is correct about ammo. Both prefer the Win 333 stuff or any Win SuperX ammo. Both are very accurate and good natural pointers

Robby is correct about cleaning them out when new. I hosed both of them down with carb cleaner and then lots of compressed air. Lubed with RemOil and headed for the range.

In my experience M94's are tight when new, but they tend to wear in. After ~800 rounds the actions are much lighter and smoother and the occasional cylinder hang-ups go away. I can shoot mine DA with good accuracy. Lots of practice is cheap with a .22LR firearm.

These may not be as refined, or a pretty as a S&W or a Colt, but I can quickly aim, shoot and hit consistently with them. That is what really counts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dmz,
We are on the same page I think. Mine are now almost what one would call "slick". And I do have other revolvers and a good grasp on what is implied by the word slick.

My '43 Colt Woodsman is "more accurate" but I can shoot and hit things very well with the 94's.....I prefer them.

About the grunge.......my opinion is the side plate must be removed. Neither of my guns were acceptably clean in there. Using them with that stuff inside would NOT have been a good idea, although maybe it would have caused them to "wear" in faster ;).

At first I thought maybe I had made a mistake in my choice.....not any more. I am "happy" how things turned out, but keep in mind I have NOT been shy about taking them apart down to the last piece and putting them back together after a little polishing with fine emory paper. Just enough to knock the burrs off.

Do not be shy about pulling the side plates.........the things are very easy to understand and get back together.

I should also note that I have had very similar problems with my Ruger Single Six when it was new......that is, "junk inside".

I would never fire/trust ANY pistol of any make or model without first disassembling and cleaning it.

The biggest pain for me was the leading problem....I have never owned a .22 that acted like them in this regard. It freaked me out enough to find this forum and make a post! All my other .22's will digest anything without leading or problems. While this is "weird" I have no problem with it. I just bought 3300 rounds of plated Win. !

HD

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I guess, I am going to have to take the chance, and pull the side plates off my revolvers (not all at once), and clean and lube them (also check for those burrs). I guess I will need the magnifying glass for the old eyes to check them closely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good information...thank you.

I will pull the grip covers off this weekend and clean it out...than back to the range to try it again.

To date, it has had less than 30 rounds run through it.

Thank you.

FP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts