Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I bought a 3rd Gen. PT145 back in May 2007. I have put approx 200 rounds through the gun (sorry, I don't get out much :(). I absolutly love it, except for one problem. Sometimes while I am shooting the slide stays open like if the mag is empty, but it is not. Sometimes I can just hit the slide release and it will close, but other times I have to drop the mag for the slide to close. I don't know if I just need to continue to break it in or not? It happens with both mags, but not every time.

The gun is more accurate than me, and it fits oh so perfect. I just want it to be a little more reliable.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Does it do this with all your mags or just one of them? I assume you received more then one mag with your pistol... If it only does it with one mag, there is a good chance its a funky mag. If it does it with all your mags, I'd check the slide-lock lever. make sure it isn't bend, mis-aligned or anything else odd, then make sure that during the recoil you are not accidental bumping it up with your hand (it is possible, but usually likely).

Let us know what you find :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does it with both mags. I thought that maybe it was my thumb bumping the slide lock lever, so I positioned my thumbs down, so they would not interfear, I had a buddy watch, and he confirmed that I wasn't bumping it. I thought it was wierd though, that I could remove the mag when it stays open during shooting, and the slide will close?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your mag springs might still be too stiff. Try loading them to full capacity and letting them sit for a few days before you go shooting next time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Also you might check your grip.

I know someone that uses a grip where he pushes against the slide with the left hand, and used to trip the slide open lever during firing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
mrnuke7571 said:
Also you might check your grip.

I know someone that uses a grip where he pushes against the slide with the left hand, and used to trip the slide open lever during firing.
Also a possible solution. Your thumb could be too high, and when you fire a round it slips up and hits the slide release lever just enough to catch it. Something similar to this happens when I shoot my buddies PT22. The gun is so small in my hand, that every round I fire causes me to flip the safety on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts