Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with the slide not wanting to come off? When i push down my release lever the slide will only come off about an 1/2", so i had to cock it back and let it fly off "carefully" I have never had a problem like this before, if anybody could help me out it be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Don't know personally, i took down my 945 to see if anything was in the lower that might jam it up. Didn't see personally what it could have been, unless maybe your safety was slightly applied the first time and it hung on that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't know personally, i took down my 945 to see if anything was in the lower that might jam it up. Didn't see personally what it could have been, unless maybe your safety was slightly applied the first time and it hung on that.
my safety is NEVER on and it does it every time

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I had a pistol a while back that would do the same thing. Never did find out what it was hanging on. After taking it down a few times and cleaning and oiling each time, then working the slide over and over it loosened up and the problem went away. I also tend to over oil/lube my guns.
Just be careful and work with it. Don't let it get the best of you. Like a marriage, you got to learn how to get a long to keep peace within the marriage. I now pronounce you Man and TAurus.....you may now go strip your Taurus.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a pistol a while back that would do the same thing. Never did find out what it was hanging on. After taking it down a few times and cleaning and oiling each time, then working the slide over and over it loosened up and the problem went away. I also tend to over oil/lube my guns.
Just be careful and work with it. Don't let it get the best of you. Like a marriage, you got to learn how to get a long to keep peace within the marriage. I now pronounce you Man and TAurus.....you may now go strip your Taurus.
Hahaha thats funny ;) i tend to over oil/lube my guns myself, i just didnt want to mess things up anymore then what it is. Thanks for ur input, i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I can't answer that question for you, I am surprised that a few others have not chimed in here to offer some assistance. You may want to either post this question in under the Smithing section or have the entire post transfered there by one of the MODs here on the forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have A PT 101 & have never had that problem with it. Dumb question but have you gone back to the manual for it to see how the instructions for disassembly. I would look for you but mine is put up & have not shot or cleaned it for A few years. I will have to look when I start shooting mine again. Sorry for no more help than that. John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have A PT 101 & have never had that problem with it. Dumb question but have you gone back to the manual for it to see how the instructions for disassembly. I would look for you but mine is put up & have not shot or cleaned it for A few years. I will have to look when I start shooting mine again. Sorry for no more help than that. John
Thanks John! I have disassembled my gun many of times over, i could probably do it blindfolded. I have never ran into this problem myself, im just really confused and dont know what the problem could be

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard that the turn around time for getting a gun repaired from Taurus is really long and a pain in the ass. Has anybody ever had a problem when sending their gun in for repairs?

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I think the turn around time will vary simply by how busy they are at an given time. It could also vary with the problem the pistol is displaying. That being said, you could go ahead and send it in and wait a couple of weeks for it, or you could hold onto it for a couple of weeks and still have a pistol with problems.
Procrastination won't get the problem fixed......now I need to listen to myself, hed my own advice and sent my Springfield Arms V10 in for failure of the slide to return to full battery.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
The more I think about your problem it just doesn't make any sense that it will fly off if pulled back and locked open...then let it fly. One of my PT-911 pistols had a problem with getting the slide forward and off. It turned out to be my postioning of the slide when I would push the pin in and flip the release down. There was one spot on the slide that would rub against the release lever, yet if I pulled the slide back another inch to flip the release lever down all would be fine. And now the problem is gone, so I don't know what it was that caused the problem, but it did self correct I guess.

Not saying you are over looking anything, but have you gone to YOUTUBE and watched a video or two an the proper take down....just for reference.

I am trying.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you and i really appreciate all ur help and ur right about waiting the 3 weeks! I have watched some videos on youtube, it doesnt make any sense to me eighter. What i did was broke it down and put one piece in at a time, the only problem i could see would be the barrel rubbing on the front tracks of the frame! So what i did was oiled that spot REALLY GOOD then put it back together, it came apart like its supposed to. Then after 2 or 3 time, it went right back to the same problem. SMH ready to pull my hair out "what left of it" LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yep, something has to be catching some where. Lock the slide back, leave the hammer cocked, release the disassembly catch, release the slide and slowly bring it forward. Where does it start hanging? Seems like it would have to be the spring dragging on something as it goes by. On my 99 if the hammer isn't cocked the slide will hang at the back. Other than that there isn't a lot in there that can hang up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts