Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ......appears my slide spring is week.....some mags are locking back others are not.....anyone here ever remove and install a slide release spring.....Looks like it may wrap around one of the frame pins....I can't even see the darn spring.....any help would be appreciated......Bob J.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd agree with the mag springs being week or you may have some of the bad magazines. Check out the sticky "Possibly the last PT145 Magazine Topic we'll need" or something to that effect.

If it is a new gun give it some break in time (500 rounds or so) before you go tinkering.

Although doing a detailed strip on these is fun and lv2tinker's link is a great resource.

Reactions: lv2tinker

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Hello all ......appears my slide spring is week.....some mags are locking back others are not.....anyone here ever remove and install a slide release spring.....Looks like it may wrap around one of the frame pins....I can't even see the darn spring.....any help would be appreciated......Bob J.
If the mag release spring was too weak it would be locking back when it wasn't supposed to - the spring pushes it away from the slide. The magazine follower has to engage the release after the last round is stripped out of the magazine and overcome the mag release spring, so my guess is either the follower isn't popping up fast enough when the last round is stripped or the notch in the follower is too low (unlikely). I'd give the inside of the mags a good cleaning and smoothing (scotchbrite pads with a cleaner like Simple Green - no harsh solvents on the mags - the painted coating won't like it), as well as some light smoothing on the follower (600 grit sandpaper). Lubricate the insides with Rem DriLube and see if doesn't start acting different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the helpfull info guys....This gun has been sent twice to Taurus for repairs. After last trip to Taurus the gun shot well for awhile and then the mags started to drop out after a round was fired....this started to happen out of the blue......I thought I was hitting the mag release while firing (although they did not drop out for awhile after the gun was returned from Taurus)......I switched the mag release to a lefty style and the mags stopped dropping out....recently only one of my four mags will lock the slide back when the mags are empty and inserted in the gun.....all the four mags will lock the slide back when the last round is fired with rounds in the mags......All these mags were working at one time......has me puzzled to what is going on......I will take the advice and clean out the mags and see what happens and if that does not work will try a new spring...... trying to avoid another trip back to Taurus......thanks again

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
recently only one of my four mags will lock the slide back when the mags are empty and inserted in the gun.....all the four mags will lock the slide back when the last round is fired with rounds in the mags......All these mags were working at one time
I'm having a little trouble deciphering the above. Are you saying the mags don't lock the slide back when you hand cycle it, but work properly when actually fired?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes....When I put an empty mag in the gun and hand cycle the slide it does not lock back on three of my four mags.....yet when the mags are loaded with ammo and fired all four mags lock the slide back after the last round is fired,

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Yes....When I put an empty mag in the gun and hand cycle the slide it does not lock back on three of my four mags.....yet when the mags are loaded with ammo and fired all four mags lock the slide back after the last round is fired,
Clean the mags and shoot that sucker. One thing that happens with mags as you use them is that the lips will open up a bit. That will let the follower come up a tad higher in the mag for more positive engagement of the slide stop. Just cleaning and lubing them (Rem DriLube with Teflon recommended) should allow the followers to move more smoothly and may allow them to rise a bit higher in the mag.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned the mags....still no good.....other mags when inserted empty still won't lock back slide when hand cycled.....weird!!........When the mag that works in inserted empty into the gun I get a noticeable click on the mag release button and when the mag release button is pushed to release the good mag the mag is released with a positive drop free movement out of the gun.....when the other mags are inserted empty I don't hear that noticeable click of the mag release button and when the mag release button is depressed to release these mags they do not drop free from the mag well, have to wrestle them out of the mag well..... Called Taurus and will be sending the gun back to them to fix on their dime....This is the third trip back to Taurus for this gun.....Driving me nuts.....Thanks for the help....I will keep you posted on the results......

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
You might compare the mag release slots on the front of the 'good' mag with the slots on the offenders to see if they're cut at the same height. That's about all I can think of that would cause the mag release not to seat properly when inserting a mag. If you've got a caliper you might also check the width of the lips on the inside for deviations. I'm sure Taurus will fix it, but I'm always curious about the details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts