Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just sold my old Marlin Model 60. It has been a great gun but was having feed issues. Sold it to an older gentleman who wanted it as a project gun. Now I have funds for a new plinker. I was leaning toward a Ruger 10-22 but when I googled some options last night after selling the rifle; I was shocked at how many people were not satisfied with a 10-22 out of the box. So I thought I would come here and get your thoughts as this group has always shown considerable insight. I'm thinking along the lines of a semi automatic .22lr under $400. What would your recommendations be OR what is your experience with a 10-22 (any particiular models better than others?)?

·
Registered
32,148 Posts
Get a stainless steel new model 60. I have both a blue model 60 and a stainless 10/22, both are great, the 60 is more accurate than the shorter barreled Ruger carbine, but Ruger has some longer barreled models. The tube carbine is a little more reliable out of the box than the Ruger rotary magazines which need a little use to smooth up.

If you have a gun shop with a good inventory, they may have some of the nicer 10/22's with Manlicher stocks and other variations.

See what fits you and strikes your fancy the best.

Oh, Savage has some pretty sweet new models with threaded barrels.

This will be my next .22 rifle purchase http://www.gunsamerica.com/91831406...GE_MODEL_64TR_SR_V_22_LR_THREADED_NEW_IN_BOX.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I think the 10/22 is a nice stock .22. The reason most people upgrade them is because the market is there to build what you want from a 10/22 and everybody wants to build it "their way"

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The 10/22 is not a rifle; it is a disease. NOBODY That buys one is satisfied with a box-stock version because the rifle has sold so well and there are so so so many aftermarket upgrades. You can literally buy as many upgraded components as with an AR15 (well close). This is either a good or bad thing depending on whether your missis monitors your firearm related purchases. I looked at the .22LR rifles out there and settled on the Remington 597 as it is more accurate out of the box. I ended up putting an Archangel kit on mine (AR platform) which free-floated the barrel and made it even more accurate to shoot. One consideration is that the Remington has a decent aftermarket which includes hi-cap magazines. Many of the other manufacturers outside Ruger and Remington don't have anything but the standard 10 rd. mags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
10-22 all the way, Ive been shooting a ruger 10-22 that is older than I am I have had no problems and it still shoots like a dream and for a smidge over $200 you will not be disappointed. This gun has so many optional parts and accessories you can make it into just about anything, as far as the models I have the basic blued version and the finish has held up great. I also own a marlin 60 and love the larger capacity they are both quality guns and you will not regret getting either, but give the ruger a try You'll wonder how you've lived without one!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
NEW Model 597s are good. However, it's taken Remington almost 10 years to iron out the bugs in the 597, and it's magazines.

We own over a half-dozen 10/22 rifles, and have gifted others to various members of the family. None of them have had any problems with the little guns. Nor have any of the probably sixty magazines evidenced any trouble. That includes the newer BX25 mags, too.

Many of the problems are self caused. I ran into a man with a Ruger 10/22T who was complaining mightily anyone who would listen about the gun. It wouldn't feed "anything". I asked him what he was using, and he said CCI Stingers. Problem? The Target versions all have Match Chambers. Stingers are too long to always fit. So are a number of the bulk production rounds. He bought a target gun, that required, at the least, better QC than the bulk ammo possesses.

Others harp on the accuracy. I've found that there are a LOT of people who simply cannot use the factory iron sights. Slapping on a set of sights that you can see, or a 4x scope, turn this "terrible accuracy" into a tack-driver.

Another Marlin 60 would work. So would a Marlin 795, or a Thompson Center Classic. The little Mossberg Plinkster is also a good bet. There are a huge amount of .22 rifles available today. Like with handguns, you need to do a little research, then try to handle those that interest you.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I own and have owned quite a few 22 rifles, I have shot even more. After my last couple experiences with the Ruger 10-22, I will only buy again if it is a killer deal, old gun or I am buying for a project gun. My last couple have just been so inaccurate out of the box. The last was a Sporter for my wife, best groups I got were 3" at 50 yards, maybe I am jaded but I consider that unacceptable!

The Savage 64 is nice, as is the Mossberg 702 plinkster and the Remington 597. They can all be bought as packages with a scope, and they all are great deals. For looks I prefer the Savage but from the one I have shot lately, the 597 seems to be the most accurate.

Of course the first thing is to figure out what you want to do with it. Target, hunting, just plinking? All will affect what gun you want.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I've got a Savage Mark II that I bought about a decade ago, and it's a good little rifle. The new Mark IIs should be even better, because they now come with Savage's Accutrigger.

·
Registered
708 Posts
In 1972 I got a $50 Christmas bonus. JC Penny had a 10-22 with a scope for $39.99. Ex wife still haves it. Should of bought more at that price. Just didn't have the money. Struggling to get by at $4 an hour flat rate. Some days were so slow I made nothing. The good old days. Life is good.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
For what it's worth. I just bought my second Remington 597. I now have the tricked out target model and a plain jane iron sighted one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. After reading through them, I think I may have to look hard into a Remingint 597. I hadn't considered it previously but after seeing some pictures and reading a few reviews, I need to handle one. Keep sending in your thoughts and opinions. It will take me awhile to research and make my purchase.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Never had as many problem with a gun as with my Remington 597. Feed issues and FTF are quite common if you read any post on the web. I went back to a Marlin model 60 and i'm quite happy.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Never had as many problem with a gun as with my Remington 597. Feed issues and FTF are quite common if you read any post on the web. I went back to a Marlin model 60 and i'm quite happy.
I've had my original 597 for over 2 years, and haven't had any problems at all after thousands of rounds. The second one only has one magazine through it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Forgot to mention, the 597 that I just bought was $175.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I had a 10/22 and discovered that the rifle was about a 5.5 MOA shooter @ 86 yards. Rather than lay in the additional $400 it would take to fix it, I simply bought a Remington 597 and was happier. I will say that the 597 functionability is definitely more temperamental with low-powered ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are fantastic in this rifle, but Mini-Mags are infamous for their odd fliers that they'll throw, coupled with their amazingly tiny groups. I placed 4th at the local Steel Dogs match at my club on Saturday with that rifle, and it was my first time at the contest.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I had a 10/22 and discovered that the rifle was about a 5.5 MOA shooter @ 86 yards. Rather than lay in the additional $400 it would take to fix it, I simply bought a Remington 597 and was happier. I will say that the 597 functionability is definitely more temperamental with low-powered ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are fantastic in this rifle, but Mini-Mags are infamous for their odd fliers that they'll throw, coupled with their amazingly tiny groups. I placed 4th at the local Steel Dogs match at my club on Saturday with that rifle, and it was my first time at the contest.
Nice job! My 597 with the thumbhole target stock and bull barrel shoots anything. I will admitt it's the most accurate with Mini-Mags.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
It might be a little beyond your price range ($538 at Bud's), but I had a Remington 552 BDL Speedmaster for years and I don't think 22's come any better. They have beautiful American Walnut furniture with really nice checkering, a great blue job, and they'll handle shorts, longs, and long rifles - all of which cycled flawlessly in mine. Their website claims it's the only american made 22 autoloader that can handle all three cartridges, and with the long tubular magazine you can load 15 long rifles, 17 longs, or a ridiculous 20 shorts. The tubular magazine is also easier to load than detachable box magazines, IMHO. I like the Ruger 10/22 heavy barreled target model, but I always wind up pining for that 552 I let get away from me. Great rifle. Might be worth saving another $138. JAT

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have had my ruger 10-22 for 20 or so years. Can't even remember when I bought it. It is bone stock. For a while I had an after market black rifle looking stock. Put it back to normal mode with a scope. Great weapon!

Prior to that I went through several of those Marlin.

My next 22 rifle will be a lever action (always wanted one) and a gsg 1911 22 pistol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts