Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I took my PT100 to the range today that I recently purchased used. The first 50 or so rounds went fine. Then in the middle of a mag, I pulled the trigger and "click". No spent case sticking out or anything. I try to rack the slide and it won't move. It's stuck closed. So I "field stripped" it and when I pull the barrel out of the slide I see the live round still in there. :eek: I throw everything into my bag and head home.

When I get home I tried to pull the live round out of the chamber with my fingers but it won't budge. So using a cleaning rod, I gently tap until it pops out. I could not see anything in the chamber that would cause it to get stuck. So I reassemble the pistol and try to cycle some rounds through it. 1 or 2 go okay and then the same thing happens. Slide appears to lock up. I pulled really hard on the slide and it finally did eject the shell. It basically did that with the rest of the shells in the mag.

Obviously something it not right with it. Should I just pack it up and send to Taurus or is there something simple that could be causing this problem.

If anyone wants to see pics of anything specific, let me know and I'll get them.

Thanks for the help.
Bill

I apologize if this gets posted twice. I thought it posted but it didn't show up so I am trying again...

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Okay, just to get a little more info. 1. Did the hammer fall 2. If the hammer fell, was there any strike on the primer of the live round you tapped back out of the barrel.

If the hammer did not fall, perhaps even if it did and had no primer strike, or a very light primer strike, the slide did not go back into full battery which could be caused either by something on the cartridge or the chamber keeping the cartridge from fully seating. There could also be something in the slide from allowing the slide to go back into full battery. Anyhow, answer the first two questions and hopefully an experienced 100 or 92 owner will come along and help you out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The hammer did fall, but nothing made contact with the primer. It was not struck at all. So it's possible the slide did not make it all the way back to where it should be. When I tried to cycle it after getting home, it does appear that the slide is not going all the way forward.

At this point, it is failing more than it is working. I have to pull really hard on the slide to get it to come back and eject the shell.

I'm at a loss here....

·
Registered
25 Posts
First, STOP!!! If you are not already dead... ;-)

Do not put any more live rounds into this weapon. Something serious has happened and based on your description, there is a possibility that the weapon is allowing the hammer to fall without being fully in battery. This is VERY dangerous. If you have to try to cycle it, use some snap caps or make up some no-powder, no-primer dummy rounds and use those. No more live ammo until the problem is resolved to a certainty.

If you have determined that the hammer will fall without being completely in battery, you're done. It has to go back to the mother ship.

It sounds to me as though something is in the chamber that is causing rounds to stick and that it is holding the rounds strongly enough that the extractor becomes disengaged when the slide goes back. A blockage would also cause the round to not seat completely, setting you up for the hammer falling on a partially open slide.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo? If factory, is it junk ammo? (Russian, Eastern bloc, chinese, etc.) I have seen a ring of brass from the front few millimeters of a cheap cartridge break cleanly off and thereby partially block the chamber. If you still have all your spent brass, measure them (eyeball) to see if one is shorter than the others.

Check out that chamber and bore with a bright bore light. Drop a spent case into the chamber to see if it seats smoothly and completely. (If you reload, resize the brass first so that you are not fooled by expanded brass being a little hard to push into place.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean cycling the slide without ammo, it won't go all the way forward?
Sorry for not being clear on that. I meant with ammo. I just went and tried it again with and without ammo. Without ammo it works great. With ammo, the first shell appears to go in fine. The slide appears to be all the way forward. But when I go to pull the slide back to eject that shell, its basically stuck. I have to jerk on it pretty hard to get it to eject. And it's that way with every shell I tried. (I put 5 in the mag to test with.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, STOP!!! If you are not already dead... ;-)

Do not put any more live rounds into this weapon. Something serious has happened and based on your description, there is a possibility that the weapon is allowing the hammer to fall without being fully in battery. This is VERY dangerous. If you have to try to cycle it, use some snap caps or make up some no-powder, no-primer dummy rounds and use those. No more live ammo until the problem is resolved to a certainty.

If you have determined that the hammer will fall without being completely in battery, you're done. It has to go back to the mother ship.

It sounds to me as though something is in the chamber that is causing rounds to stick and that it is holding the rounds strongly enough that the extractor becomes disengaged when the slide goes back. A blockage would also cause the round to not seat completely, setting you up for the hammer falling on a partially open slide.

Are you using reloads or factory ammo? If factory, is it junk ammo? (Russian, Eastern bloc, chinese, etc.) I have seen a ring of brass from the front few millimeters of a cheap cartridge break cleanly off and thereby partially block the chamber. If you still have all your spent brass, measure them (eyeball) to see if one is shorter than the others.

Check out that chamber and bore with a bright bore light. Drop a spent case into the chamber to see if it seats smoothly and completely. (If you reload, resize the brass first so that you are not fooled by expanded brass being a little hard to push into place.)

I'm still here!

Yes, I agree it has a serious issue. I can't be for certain if it was in full battery or not when I had the initial problem at the range.

The ammo I am using is Federal Champion. When I had it apart it tried putting a round in the chamber manually and it seemed to go in and out smoothly.

I wish I knew how to explain all of this better. I'm sure I'm not doing a very good job.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
When you try to cycle a round, is the ejected round damaged in any way? Major dents, torn case mouth, etc? I'm not worried about the rim, which may be damaged during extraction. I am concerned about the mouth or body of the case.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Will Taurus pay for me to ship it to them or will that come out of my pocket?
Absolutely! If you have had the gun less than one year, they pay the shipping and will send Fed-Ex to pick it up. Call customer service and explain politely what happened. They will tell you what to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You bought it used, so I am guessing they will want you to pay for shipping. I have heard, but have no first hand knowledge, that they only offer to pay for shipping if you just bought the gun new.
Be prepared to wait. They have a wide reputation for dragging their feet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you try to cycle a round, is the ejected round damaged in any way? Major dents, torn case mouth, etc? I'm not worried about the rim, which may be damaged during extraction. I am concerned about the mouth or body of the case.
There is some scoring on the case. I'm not sure if that is happening from putting them in the mag or sometime during the chambering process. I suppose I could put some in a mag and take them back out to see if they are scored any.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Take a look at the locking block. Is it visibly chipped, cracked, or damaged on first inspection? If it looks OK but is out of position on the barrel that will affect your ejection and slide movement, so take a look at it and see if that's out of sorts. When the locking block actually goes the slide will not cycle properly or at all, and its a part that can fail on these kinds of weapons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a look at the locking block. Is it visibly chipped, cracked, or damaged on first inspection? If it looks OK but is out of position on the barrel that will affect your ejection and slide movement, so take a look at it and see if that's out of sorts. When the locking block actually goes the slide will not cycle properly or at all, and its a part that can fail on these kinds of weapons.
I'm getting ready to eat, but after that I'll take some pics of the locking block to see if anyone notices any issues with it. One thing I did notice is that it seems to slide pretty easily in and out of the barrel... almost like it's too loose. Is that normal??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for the help. I have taken some pics. Hopefully they will help.

When I have just the barrel and drop a round in, it appears to go in the correct distance, but then again, I'm not sure. One thing that seems odd to me is if I push on the round even a little, it seems to get stuck in the barrel and is hard to get out. This may or may not be normal, I don't know.

This is the original round that was stuck at the range.

Here are some pics of the locking block and chamber. Is the pin that raises and lowers the locking block supposed to be that tapered?

This is a round I just dropped in by hand.

There is some scoring on the round, but I don't know when it is happening.

Anything else you want to see, let me know.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

That wear on the locking block isn't good. It does not appear cracked but one side having an uneven wear pattern suggests deeper issues at work . Did your groups ever end up in an "odd" pattern before the malfunction, such as consistently high right or otherwise?

My preliminary hypothesis is that the frame or slide is tweaked in a sideways direction which is causing the rounds to drag against one side of the chamber on ejection.The best way to solve whatever is causing this to happen is to hug the pistol one last time before sending it in to HQ Taurus USA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing that seems odd to me is if I push on the round even a little, it seems to get stuck in the barrel and is hard to get out. This may or may not be normal, I don't know.
It is not normal. You have something fouling your chamber (possibly that ring of brass I mentioned) or the chamber may be improperly reamed (and possibly the reason it was sold used). Regardless, there is something in that chamber that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OH, and that brass is not normal. Something is scratching the hell out of it. Stick your little finger in the chamber and run it around to see if it feels rough or sharp.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Just for grins, check the feed lips on you magazine to see if there is a burr or burrs that might possibly be causing the gouges, scratches on the rear of your brass! :) Also, if you have not done so, with your barrel still removed, try dropping a cartridge in that is from the box and smooth before dropping into the barrel, and see if it 1. Goes in farther, 2.. comes out without a scratch!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it appears to be greatly related to the ammo. I tried the only other 40 cal ammo I had on hand (some ancient Hornaday) and I was able to cycle it without much issue. It wasn't perfect though. Sometimes it would not eject the last round. The round wouldn't get stuck, it would just sit there on top of the mag with the slide locked open. Who knows, maybe that's normal.

I'm shocked that ammo would make that much of a difference. I still feel something is not right with it for it to be that picky on ammo. I have used quite a bit of this Federal with my Glock with no issues.

Oh well, I guess I'll go buy another brand and see how that works.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts