Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my ccw permit and I started carrying my 738. That is why I found this website and why I joined up. I live in a fairly rural area and there is no firearms training centers within about a three hour drive. I have a young family so I don't have the time, energy, or money to travel to get some defensive firearms training. Everyone is always talking about the best gun or the newest awesome holster for CC. I can find very little info about how to train for CC. I feel like I don't have enough know how to carry. I realize that going out shooting with my weapon will teach me a lot and I do this every chance I get. But I still don't feel like I know enough. I have watched some videos on youtube about this and that has helped a bit. What can I do for training to help myself out in this problem? Is there any resources online that I may not know about? I realize this is kind of a broad question but I don't feel like I should just strap on a gun and go about my day.

P.S. My three year old boy is sitting on my lap and he wants me to use some smileys...;):):mad::p:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
I came across this site and you might find it useful.
How to How to Combat Ready (Tactically Prepare) Yourself With a Pistol - wikiHow

Some of the information will not apply as you already have weapon. I just finished a CC course a week ago so I'm by no means an expert but here are some of the highlights that I remember. Most of the training was on building the muscle memory on drawing your weapon and accuracy. The above web site goes over the "quick draw". So choose whatever holster you want and practice the draw until it is automatic. They say practice makes perfect but that is incorrect. Perfect practice makes perfect. When you are re-holstering do it slowly, watch what your are doing. Make sure your trigger finger is STRIGHT. This is a good time to have a UD, unintentional discharge, and shoot your self in the foot. There are many instances where someone had their finger on the trigger when holstering their weapon and the holster pushes on their trigger finger and BANG. You also want to make it habit after "Shooting the bad guy" the check the area, both sides of the target. All this needs to be automatic.
You might join a local gun club as they might be a good source of information and training.
Hope helps

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Above and beyond these suggestions, it is imperative to learn the laws where you live. Learn where it is off limits to carry. Learn the legalities involved in self defense shooting. Does your state have a "castle doctrine" law, meaning are you immune from civil liability in a justified self defense? Learn laws in any neighboring states you might visit.

Check out handgunlaws.us

·
Registered
227 Posts
you can practice at home with an unloaded gun a back stop I practice draw sight and shoot< draw from your holster sight your target and shoot Dry fire or youcan simulate this too to get you to into that muscle memory portion and to train your eyes to line up with your sights it has helped me alot i can draw sight and shoot in under 5 sec but im still working on it

·
Registered
227 Posts
Another thing shoot shoot shoot whenever you can

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Living in the boonies, one presumes that there is ample safe & legal room to live fire practice.

If so, starting out very slowly and delieberately, practice drawing from concealment and hitting a man size target at 3 yards.

As your skill improves, move the target progressively further back a yard at a time.

Don't worry about "speed draws",; a "quick miss" never saved anyones hide; smoothness equates to speed that will come later.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
If eventually you find that you have the time and money for training -- do it. You'll learn stuff you can't get without the professional's knowledge and skill. I was fortunate to get some formal training and it was really worth it. I knew the basics which I learned on my own, but I believe there is always something to be gained by training with professionals.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Practice Practice Practice
But do be careful

Warning: strong langue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All sorts of good info for me. Thanks. The dvds really interest me. Some of this stuff I already do. There is some public hunting areas just right outside of my town. I go there quite a bit and just shoot. I bought snap caps the same night that I posted this so as soon as they get here I'll start doing some dry fire practice. Thats a nice wikihow article.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
If you live in a state that requires you to take a concealed carry permit course the instructor should have mentioned some local clubs and ranges that could offer some instruction, in fact if they feel that there is enough interest they may be willing to offer a course. Meanwhile I would look at joining a local range or club and talk to other members chances are that many of them also CC and can offer you some advice from their personal experiences. Locally I was friends with the local police chief and he actually encouraged me to get my permit after I moved up here. I would run into him several times a week and have a chat with him. Sadly now that he is the county sheriff I don't see him nearly as often, as his job keeps him rather busy.

I was lucky that I was good friends with many law enforcement people who offered me good advice and I often shot with them. The best advice they all gave me was not to carry unless I had made the mental commitment to be able to shoot without hesitation, if the need ever arose! Then practice, practice, practice!!!! The situations where a person would be justified to shoot are so varied so just set up some "What If" scenerios and repeat them until you can draw and fire without hesitation when the scenerio demands it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its a good thing you recognize you are new. Good job.

We shoot once a month, in all weather. I should practice CC alot more since it is harder then OC. If you primarly CC then practice that way. Dont go to the range and draw from your hip in open carry mode. Pratice the way you will carry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Go online to Amazon.com or a good bookstore and look for some of Massad Ayoob's books. The 1st you may want to get is called "Concealed Carry" this guy really knows his stuff! All of the above advice is great also! Like anything else at 1 st it can be overwhelming but you will catch on. The main thing is ALWAYS be safe!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts