Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need help deciding on my first handgun I have narrowed it down to the Taurus PT92 which I have loved for a very long time and the Taurus PT809 which is quickly winning me over with the rave reviews and the style. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
My wife and I have both.

The PT-92 has a crisper trigger, and with a long sight radius, it is exceptionally accurate. It has fewer nooks and crannies, making it easier to clean too. On the downside, the grips are quite large, and the dots on the sights are quite small.

The PT-809 has a good, crisp trigger, though not as crisp as the PT-92's. It is more contemporary in design, having a polymer lower that is easy to keep clean, and that has interchangeable backstraps that can adapt to the size of your hand. It's more ambidextrous than the PT-92.

I'd recommend you take the PT-809. It's a more modern design which fits more people better.

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Something about those PT-92/99's they just feel right in the hand. I personally don't know anyone that has not liked shooting mine. Several people that have shot it have gone out and bought their own.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Get the PT-92. You will not regret it.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Go for the PT92, it's a much more refined design. Unless you want the option of adjustable sights or night sites, in which case go for a PT99.

It's far from a small weapon, but isn't ridiculous either, and the recoil is minimal given the barrel length and the weapon's weight. If you look back through my posts to around Thanksgiving, I struggled mightily with almost buying one at an awesome price. Ultimately, I did not, not because I didn't like the weapon, but because it was a totally discretionary purchase and I realized that I'd rather have a nickle finish PT92 and the deal was only on the blued, it remains on my short list however, likely after tax refund time.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I was originally looking for an PT809 but when i picked up the PT92 it just felt good. maybe a PT840 might be next, though i came across a PT917 that i like.
As pointed out by "Lone", if you would like a little smaller sized pistol after you have picked up a PT92/99 keep your eyes open for a PT917. Almost a duplicate pistol to the PT92, but see if you can locate one with the finger grip frame. The PT911/909 area also amazing pistols in the 9mm round..all have been discontinued for locating one my not be as easy to do. But, well worth the look.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Here is a photo of the PT917.

As an added note our local cross dresser member has had great luck cross dressing his 92 with his 917 pistols as far as slides to frame variations. He has some great photos he may share with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.