Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am new around here, but I need some help. I recently won a Taurus PT1911 in a drawing at a major shooting competition. Unfortunately, because I am in California and the PT1911 is not approved for delivery in CA, I have to choose an alternate firearm of equal or lesser value.

I am certainly not going to complain too much, though I shot the PT1911 at said shooting event and absolutely LOVED it... but a free gun is a free gun, so I am not going to look a gift horse... uh, gift bull in the mouth.

I currently shoot in IDPA matches and am planning to start shooting Steel Challenge (IDPA class, Compact and maybe Revolver).

Guns that I currently own and what I use them for in IDPA:
S&W M&P .40 (SSP)
CZ-75B .40 (ESP)
S&W 1911 (CDP)

So, I am not sure if I want to possibly get into revolver shooting and use this Taurus credit to get a revolver, or stick with a proven auto like a PT92 or maybe even a smaller 9mm, like a 909 or 911. I think I really want a 9mm. I actually prefer shooting .40 and .45, but with the price of ammo, I think I should go with a 9mm - besides, I have a few boxes of 9 leftover after I sold off my only 9mm pistol a few months ago. The other stipulation is that I would like to avoid a polymer gun at all costs, so I guess 24/7 and Millenniums are out (unless someone can really convince me otherwise). I hear good things about Taurus revolvers, but would need it to hold at least six and be .357/.38.

So, if anybody has advice, I appreciate any and all feedback, opinions, warnings and wisdom!

Thanks in advance!
Brad

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Why can't the PT1911 be sent to you in California?

I would suggest the Taurus 24/7 in 9mm, 40cal or even 45cal If possible look for the Long Slide (about 5") which is only about an inch longer then the standard model 24/7. I have the PT908 (single stack 9mm) which is the older brother to the PT909 (double stack + same mag as PT92 or so I am told). PT 92 is another excellent idea too, its what I use to shoot in comps.

If you look at a 24/7 make sure it is a newer SA/DA model, not the older DAO model, you will like the new trigger better. !st shot to last is single action, double action only after a misfire.

As for revolvers I should pass that off to someone else that currently owns and shoots the Taurus wheel guns...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I haven't looked over the IDPA rule book for a few years but if they still limit revolvers to 6 rounds then you are limited to a Model 65 (357 mag) or a M82 (38 spec) which are still 6 shooters. The other medium frames guns (M66, M627/Tracker, M617, M817 are 7 shooters with the M608 holding 8.

The M65 and the M82 are fixed sight guns with a 4" barrel thats available in either blued or stainless.

But as its a free gun, why not try something different?

Steelheart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PT1911 is not on Taurus' list of approved guns for CA. No mag disconnect - it is a new rule.
Also, the old 24/7's are okay for CA, but not the 24/7 Pro.

So, I went ahead and ordered the PT-92 SPL. I like the dual-tone look on that platform. They didn't have one sitting around, so Taurus is actually building one for me.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The mag disconnect is kind of a touchy issue. I personally would not want it on one of my weapons, but I do see the other side of the reasoning. It could be a safety option for a home defense weapon when children are involved by keeping the magazine in a separate location. For law enforcement I think it is an option for those involved as prison guards and related occupations, where it is more likely a weapon could be taken.

My personal feelings for "most" regular duty officers it could be a liability, but of course that is my personal opinion based on my training.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts