Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier post I told about the Ms. bringing me home a Model 70 Win. .264 mag from her dads this weekend. Well when she got back she had a gun he had just gave me as part of the deal. It's an old Remington "rolling block" or breech loader some might say. The only picture on the web I can find that looks like it is a Remington Model #4. On top of the barrell it says " REMINGTON ARMS CO. ILIAN, N.Y." and on the bottom of the barrell in front of the fore stock it has "32 W" and on the main breech mech. it has several pat. dates latest being Sept. 9, 1873, which I know means it could have been made many years later. I know they made .32 RF which it is not it is center fire. They made a .32 winchester or really a .32-20 and a .32 special this is all I know. It has a serial # of 31957. The gun is in good shape, stock is good, darkened as should be NO CRACKS or bad knicks, all the working parts, mech. are good no cracks etc. Barrell inside is great, no rust or pits, rifling is real good. The only thing is years ago before he got it in a trade someone had took off all of the bluing on all the metal. Stupid huh ! No rust or pits on any of the outside parts. Is this worth restoring? Who might be able to do this? Or should I leave it alone? I am going to call Remington today to see if they can give me help on the serial #, but I bet I get more help from you Gents. Any advice and help will be great, and thanks.

texas shooter

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Back then every gun company had a cartridge made for their particular guns. The closest thing in my Hornady reloading manual is the .32 winchester special, it was introduced in 1895 and my educated guess would be that your rolling block could be chambered for that. Remington rolling blocks were made in just about every caliber at the time, but you have to remember that oddball calibers don't always command the highest price. Remington produced more rolling blocks than sharps did at the time because they had foreign military contracts, I believe they boasted a million were produced at the time and a rolling block in good condition but with a ruined finish could get about $500 depending on the market. I have a feeling that since it's in a "cowboy caliber" you could get more for it. If you find someone who can professionally restore the finish, you could have a valuable heirloom in your possession which you would not want to get rid of.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not gettin much help, Remington sent me to the Remington Society of America, I posted info there waiting on reply. I know it's before 1898 and I believe it's a 32 winchester or as they say 32.20. If anyone here has a brass case for one of those I will buy it and pay for the mail. Just need one. I have the reload info on this shell, and midway even has the brass, just don't want to buy a bunch.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You could try doing a casting of the chamber, that will tell you more than any of us speculating. They have the stuff to do it I believe at brownells.com, or you could try midway. The stuff won't hurt your gun and you will know what the shell is supposed to look like with the relative dimensions and you won't have to buy any brass that might not fit.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jay! Do you own one of these? Thanks Ace! See this is my point about this group, people will help you here, even if it's not a Taurus !!! I found one and it is a 32.20 WCF. This is what I've found out so far. It was made prior to 1898, but exact year still working on. The barrel came blued, receiver was case harden finished, I was given a name of a place in Wa. that refinishes these guns, I will call them today and get est. Will let you know. If anyone else knows a place maybe, let me know please.
Got a gun show this weekend, gonna carry it maybe I'll find out something more on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Texas Shooter, I used to have an old Marlin that I sold years ago so I have a few boxes of ammo left from it. Good luck with it 32-20 is a nice round.

Jay

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay, get with me if you want to sell them, if you have no use for them, or just want them sittin around.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I pulled it apart to clean it all up, on the two metal tangs off the receiver or ?, whatever you call them that hold the stock on at top and bottom, there is a # 152 on both on the left side. These must be there for a reason. I can get a good look up in the action, the spring, etc. is so simple on this it just puts me in awe. It is really clean considering the age, no rust, tight, etc. If anyone could give me an idea of a book to buy?

·
32,735 Posts
Take a look at at either www.krause.com , which is Gun Digest Books. They have a firearms section with books on Winchesters or take apart diagrams and other info in them.

Found this:
Remington Rolling Block Rifle

Built on the lightweight #4 action. Was available in 22,25 Stevens, or .32 caliber.
22.5' or 24" in. barrel.
Made 1890-1933

Obviously collector value went into the toilet when the finish was changed or removed, but it is still of some collector value as well as a possible shooter with low powered loads.

www.rollingblockparts.com or www.dixiegunworks,com might be able to help you in some way.
Other possible help might come from:

www.parralexcurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com

www.homesteadfirearms.com

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Actually all is not lost if your finish is no good anymore. If you can find a professional firearms restorer that can put the original finish on the gun the value of the firearm will go up. True it won't be as valuable as a rolling block with a good original finish, or a antique finish, but it is better than no finish, especially if the work is done by a professional. It could add hundreds of dollars to the price.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
My cousin was working on a rolling block awhile back, he bought just the action and he was going to build one up. He said that it was preatty easy to do, but I don't know. He started with a spanish rolling block action and wanted to convert to 45-70 for silhouette shooting. To be honest I don't know if he ever finished his project. I'll ask him about it the next time I see him.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it to the gun show last weekend. It's what they call a model 2 sporter. I was offered $600.00 as is, another guy said it was worth more, but I don't believe it. It's easy to price something you ain't buying. Found a guy that restores them, going to his shop Monday he said he had a later model he will have finished then for me to look at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts