Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone to reload up a small lot of ammo for me, 100 rounds.

357 mag with Laser Cast 148gr double end wadcutter at about 600 fps.

Or if you have a bunch of cast bullets I'd take most any style as long as it's in a mag case and 600 - 700 fps

I just want some mag'd case pop loads to kill some cans and pine cones out back but not sound like a nuke just went off, I know I know just shoot some 38's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sure there are some who might be set up to do this, but the liability of doing custom ammunition for someone might get in the way of finding someone. For a small run like this, you might want to consider an inexpensive press, such as the Lee Hand Press and a set of dies (my last set of .38/.357 dies was $5 used at a local gun show, and the Hand Press looks like it's under $30) and roll your own! Plus, if you go more full-time, you'll still be able to use the dies in most larger presses.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, I've been reloading for twenty years without any mishaps but a few squibs, but I would not sell my reloads to anybody due to liability problems if their gun went kaboom. Try Black Hills for commercial reloaded ammo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wheels:

Your light loads in .357 cases has merit ... yes, you can simply shoot .38's, but I have gone strictly to shooting light loads in .357 cases for two reasons.

One, it has always appeared to me that cylinders clean up much easier when you stick with .357 cases. Using .38 cases leaves more residue in the chamber, short of the throat. Not really a major problem, though.

Two, I reload, so sticking with a single length case makes it easier to switch from a light load to a heavy load (or anything in-between). Again, this is not a big deal ... more convenience than anything.

To cj's point, you might want to seriously consider investing in a start-up reloading kit and roll your own. Lee makes a few kits that can get you going for minimal dollars. That's how I started, and although I now own equipment from many manufacturers, I still use the original Lee equipment I purchased. I personally would go with a small, bench-mounted press ... but that is strictly personal preference (and may be dictated by available space in your dwelling).

For the price of a half-dozen boxes of custom/factory reloads, you could be set-up to reload your own ... for quite awhile.

dogfood

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I just shoot light stuff out of .38 cases to avoid confusion. My hot SWCs look just like my light SWCs. If the light ones are in .38 cases, I can tell the difference. But, there are some minor advantaged to just using .357. I've never had a problem with build up in front of .38 cases, though, perhaps because I'm so anal about cleaning my guns after every use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts