Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found locally an unfired blue PT101 AF in the box with one 10 (11?) round mag for sale for $275(no tax or shipping) by an individual. He says it is perhaps 10 years old. I already have one of the Academy PT101's with 2 16 round mags. Will my 16 round mags work in this gun? When I bought mine it was $299 new AND $50 off that for applying for a credit card which brought it down to $249 plus tax (approx. $270 out-the-door). Seems like Academy does not carry this model anymore so those days are over. Do you guys think this is a decent deal? If it will not accept the 16 round mag I think it is a deal breaker. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
OK, pulled out the PT-101P and a PT-100. NO, the 101P mag will not insert into the PT-100 at all.
Hope this helps out. But at the price, I would still jump on the Pistol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks a bunch for checking it out for me! I use my 101 as a night stand gun with a light on the rail. This one would be for my wife to carry in her car and I really want her to have a high capacity mag for what ever I get for her. She carries a Kahr CW9 9mm 7 shot with laser in her purse but I just want her to have some real firepower in case she ever got stranded or carjacked. Does anyone make a higher capacity mag that will work in an older 101 that you know of? Again,THANKS!

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Not that I am aware of.
The 101P was kind of a rare bird. If I recall correct it was a special order/build for Academy Sporting Goods at an everyday retail price of $299 and often run on special at $249. You will every so often come across a NIB 101P on Gunbroker from a dealer, but I would bet this was at sometime aquired by a retail buyer, never shot and then traded in or sold on the secondary market. But, by having not been fired it would still be a NIB pistol. I have seen the PT-101P sell from $325 to $450 depending on condition as of late.
The 101P uses a double stack style mag to hold as many rounds as it does. Finding extra magazines for the P-model can be difficult to locate.

The PT101AF that you came across at $275 is a bargain. New these are selling from $389 and up. It is getting extreemly difficult to find the 101 with the adjustable sights.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Just FWIW, I know that many people focus on how many rounds a gun will hold or how many extra magazines they may need to care. But, truth be told, unless you are getting into a long gun battle facing a number of different threats....a calm/clear head will far out weigh an extra 8 rounds of ammo in a magazine.
Or
If you are open to another train of thought. The 9mm with the proper ammo will handle most all personal protection scenaro. And it is much easier to find a smaller framed 9mm that will hold 17 rounds than it is to find a .40 that will do the same amount.
A good example of an all metal alloy pistol would be:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=268899527

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Thanks for the Question and Answers. I've seen a few of those 101P's and been tempted, so this was good reading. That said, to the OP, I second what jon said about considering other models. My EDC is the Ruger SR9C. I carry with the 10 round 'compact' mag, and keep the 17 rnd mag for back-up. It has been my experience, that unless you are planning to 'take hostages', or being 'under siege', that should be plenty of 'fire power' for a real world SD scenario. While 'strategically' I do like the idea of 'his n her's', but only if both parties are equally comfortable with the weapon ie, operation, size, weight, grips, etc. Just my nickel's worth (inflation adjusted .02). Good luck with that, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts

·
Registered
14,004 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is a little better price on the mec-gar mags. Wait till the weekend and shipping is usually cheaper. These will fit the 100 you are looking at but not the 101p.

Taurus Mags

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thaks guys! I will let you know if the deal goes down. I will bring a 16 round mag and see if it fits...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts