Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying one of these for my wife as a home defense weapon since it is tough for her to rack the slide on my PT92, based on the price for a .357 and being a Taurus I feel it is such a fantastic deal. If I could get help on the pro and cons from anyone that owns one that would be great.

I have never owned a revolver but I know that the .357 can also shoot the .38 special which would be great for target practice since the .38 is cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts
The 38 Special +P would put the hurtin' on a home invader. Many folks prefer the simplicity and reliability of a revolver for SD. I don't own the model 65, but I am certain those who do will come along shortly.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Unless your wife is used to revolvers, I would take her to the range and rent a couple revolvers; small frame, medium frame, run some 38 through them, maybe a couple of cylinders of magnum. The model 65 would probably be a good size for home defense, good accuracy with the longer barrel. The D/A trigger might take a little getting used to, but then there is S/A as well.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
The medium framed model 65 is an excellant choice. It's my wife's favorite.

They are simple, reliable and accurate; and I honestly don't see a down side.

For better control and faster follow up shots I'd stick to .38 spl. ammo, it's quite sufficent to get the job done.

If it weren't, law enforcement would not have used it for over 80 years.

·
32,531 Posts
Let's tackle this from another angle.

The model 65 is a good pick, but like said at this forum many times this is her choice. First things first.

NRA and NSSF - National Shooting Sports Foundation have accredited basic classes for women only or basic gun courses one on one. Local gun ranges, gun shops, and gun clubs should have access to these.

Cornered Cat , www.babeswithbullets.com , www.womenandguns.com are other sources you both should review.

This would give her a good well rounded basic knowledge of firearms/shooting and what gun/caliber combo that will fit her and her needs.

If she chooses to go with revolvers, if she has trouble mastering the .357 magnum cartridge, then stay with the .38 Special. +P or standard pressure rounds are fine for practice or defense.

Taurus makes the model 82 and Rossi has the 851, Both are +P rated and 6 shot revolvers. Both have excellent records. The Rossi weighs a bit less than the Taurus. The Rossi is generally a bit cheaper than the Taurus. Got all that? I don't :) Trigger pulls on both are very good. I do own a Taurus 82 stainless model. But I have kept up on the 851 for Rossi.

This would keep you or her from having to scrub the carbon rings out of .357 magnum revolver after every shooting session.

The revolvers are more user friendly.

The Rossi has adjustable sights that make it more versatile than the Taurus 82 for different bullet weights.

Standard pressure .38 Specials can do double duty as practice, fun gun, or for self defense.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition | Strictly Big Bore - Strictly Business has 3 loads that are standard pressure, have the +P velocity, but not the +P pressures and recoil.

Federal Premium - Home has the Federal 125gr.Nyclad round nosed LSWC coated in nylon for practice and defense.
This is a practice round that started out m any decades ago that held down exposure to lead. Then it was found that this also made a excellent self defense round. The Nyclad has an excellent real world documented record for stopping the violent actors in their tracks. That's even out of snub revolvers.

Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc has the FTX ammo, +P or otherwise that are excellent picks.

If she can handle +P ammo then the 158gr. LSWCHP is king of the heap. Speer Gold Dot 135gr. short barrel or regular +P is a very close second best.

Corbon anything will stop anyone in their tracks.
Remington Golden Saber is tops as well.
Federal ammo has their own +P hits as well. It's hard to fine a bad premium ammo out there. :)
Black Hills red box +P ammo should also be considered.

Any of the regular ammo makers 125gr. JHPs are also good choices.

Let's go to the Taurus 327 in .327 Federal magnum. The .32 calibers have a lot going for them. Got two of these. No porting though. The 327 is a snub revolver. 2" or 3 inch ported barrels. 6 shots.

The Taurus can handle the .327, the .32 H&R magnum, and the .32 S&W Long rounds. That means versatility.

Start out with either the S&W Longs or the .32 H&R magnums. Then work up to the .327s.
Ruger makes the SP-101 in .327 Federal. I have one of those,too. It complements the Taurus.

Ruger does make a GP-100 in that caliber as well. Got one of those,too.

Let's look at pistols.

The 9x19 is a good pick. Single stack 9x19 pistols like the Taurus PT709, S&W 3913/908, Kahr K-9,and the SIG 239 or SIG 225 make good picks.

.380 ACP pistols? Beretta 84/85/86,Taurus PT138, Bersa .380 ACP, are good ones to look at. I probably left out a few.CZ-83 is also a good one.

Next up are the .32 ACP guns. I've got a few of those. 3 Taurus PT132 Mil Pros and a CZ83. These are close to full size, but bigger than the subcompact guns. The + side to these is that they get better bullet velocity out of their barrels than for the small pocket pistols.

There's a lot of things to go through here. :)

·
32,531 Posts
Oh,yes. I do own a Taurus 65 as well. A stainless 2.5 inch model. This is a 25+ year old gun. It came with a sweet, light, crisp double action trigger pull and still has it. Better than some vaunted S&W revolvers. This is an excellent gun!

One of the bonuses is that all 158gr. bullet weights, or close to it, hit the same point of aim at 25 yards.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You might also consider a M-82 (same thing in .38 special). Many times a used M-82 is considerably cheaper due to the reputation of the .357 mag. Lets be honest, a .38 +p will get the job done, is considerably more pleasant to shoot, is cheaper, and beats up the K-frame sized revolver far less than a magnum round. I have owned 6 of the M-82's and 2 of the M-66's (the adjustable sight model of the M-65). I keep a blue 4" M-82 in my bed side table and a 3" stainless steel one under the front seat of my truck. I also gave my son-in-law a M-82 to keep in his bed side table. Mine protect my wife and myself. My son-in-law's protects him, my daughter, and my grandson. THAT, dear friends, is confidence in the M-82.

If you find a good price on a m-65 get it, just don't pass up a m-82 if the chance offers itself. It has been my experience that most shooters, including women, shoot k-frame size revolvers like the M-82, M-65 better than they do the j-frame size M-85. The weight makes the experience more pleasant.

·
32,531 Posts
If you go to the Taurus International Manufacturing Inc site scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll see a tab marker " Product Manuals" Uner the heading of "CUSTOMER CARE". Click on the Product Manual header and you'll go to the PDF. downloadable owner manuals. Scroll down until you see "Revolvers Intruction Manual" and then download for there. That'll have the model 65 in there. It's the manual for all of their metal framed revolvers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all , a lot of good points on here ultimately its your wifes choice. I had the same issue with my wife she could not manipulate the slide well and shes a lefty so the safety on my 24/7 was on the wrong side for her. The M65 is a nice gun that is the one my wife chose to shoot and well at that.
I would not be too concerned about weight issues a bit heavier gun will have a little less kick.
If she can work her way up to the 357 rounds thats great I always liked them a bit more than the 38's not that there a bad round at all.

I would stay away from the .380 rounds unless thats all she can handle and some of those small 380 frames can give a good kick due to the lower weight to absorb the kick. Plus the 380's imho are just not up to the task . I don't think she would be disappointed with the 65 but best thing if at all possible find a range that rents them and let her try some different guns out before you commit $$ to a gun. Good luck in your quest for your wifes gun.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I owned a 66 many years back, and was just at a sporting goods store this morning shopping for a new 65, or a 66 if If I can't find a 65. Anyway, I loved it and so did my wife, which is why we are looking for new ones. I traded the others many years back, when I lived up near Chicago. For ME, it is a perfect fit, for my wife, I am going to let her pick out her own this time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a Model 65 4 inch barrel. Great gun you can't go wrong. As has been said, 38 Special +P is an excellent round and will do the job without the harsh recoil. sound and flash of .357 magnum. You have to think about shooting in near dark conditions in your home at night, .357 mag will blind you and make you deaf. (I love .357 and shoot it at the range but use .38 +P for home defense, kinda opposite of what most folks do).

One thing on the 65... the grips that come with it are way to thin for my taste, makes it hard to really hold on to the gun. (and I have small girly hands) I would recommend trying some Houge grips on it:

Amazon.com: Hogue Rubber Grip Taurus Medium & Large Frame Square Butt Rubber: Sports & Outdoors

Well worth the 25 or so bucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts