Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not happy with the last stew I made, so I'm looking for a new recipe.
I'm making the stew tomorrow (March 8.), so I would appreciate any offerings today so I have time to shop in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I think one of the best things for venison that has come along is the Crockpot or Slow Cooker. We cook a roast with vegtables, water, wine and a seasoning pack. Cooked all day the vension will be fall apart tender. I don't see why you couldn't cube the venison and use the Crockpot to make a good stew.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
My easy fix...

I pick any "Stew" recipe in the cook book and substitute "Venison" for beef or lamb. ;)

·
Super Moderator
34,959 Posts
I crock pot my stews, same with beef or venison. I just toss a bunch of veggies in with it, water, some flour to thicken, salt and pepper or McCormick's beef stew seasoning packet. Stew all day and check once in a while in the crock pot. Works great. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I make Italian venison, garlic, onions, Italian seasoning. Then, pull apart(shred) and add Italian dressing. Awesome.

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds interesting, Coot.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Venison is a very dry meat. I always add some kind of beef tallow, and yes the crock pot is a great invention. All of the above have some great ideas, don't be afraid of the seasonings..:)

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Start with a can of Beef Broth and can of Cream of Mushroom soup as prime ingredients and you can't go wrong, regardless of what you add to it.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The German secret to cooking venison is to add red wine. You can even use it as a marinade. A little bacon helps too as it adds a little fat and taste.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Venison can sub for about any meat but due to the gamey taste can handle stronger sauces and fruit sauces well. Low and slow is usually recommended as well due to the toughness. Venison, Elk and Buffalo are a FINE replacement for a lot of other meats and usually better for you.

Sarge

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
And they make great sausage if you mix them with a little pork.

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, all for your suggestions.
Here's the recipe I went with - it turned out pretty danged good.
  • 1 lb. venison stew meat
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • 1 T canola oil
  • 1 t hot paprika
  • 1 t sweet paprika
  • 1 t Italian herb seasoning
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 oz dry sherry
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cups water
  1. brown the stew meat in a frying pan with the canola oil, sherry, and garlic powder
  2. cut potatoes and carrots into 1" pieces
  3. put everything in a crock pot and cook for 6 hours on low

Reactions: Sarge

·
Registered
27,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Venison can sub for about any meat but due to the gamey taste can handle stronger sauces and fruit sauces well. Low and slow is usually recommended as well due to the toughness. Venison, Elk and Buffalo are a FINE replacement for a lot of other meats and usually better for you.

Sarge
I want to talk to you about that...
Normally I'm not a fan of fruity tastes with meat, but I take your point about the difference with venison. I have a bunch of cranberries in the freezer - what do you think?
While I was rooting around for the stew meat I came across one of the tenderloins. I'm thinking maybe take some of the cranberries, add a couple of strawberries and maybe a little orange juice for liquid... reduce it by about 50% and baste the tenderloin at about 275 degrees...
What do you think?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts