Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all. Just got new leather pancake holster yesterday and am in the process of breaking it in.

It is my first pancake holster. I really like it.

My question is one of retention. When I first got it I needed 1 hand on the gun and 1 hand on the holster to separate them, haha. It is a lot better now, but I'm looking for the right balance of retention and ease of draw. Right now I can draw it smoothly - while still requiring a fair bit of force - if I tilt the top of the gun a bit forward. The belt loops holding onto my belt (which holds the holster) are the only thing that allows the draw.

The last thing I want is to have an actually emergency where I need to draw the pistol and the holster's retention plus stress mucks things up. Currently, the holster REALLY pulls on the belt/belt loops...I can draw it quickly, but it seems to me it should be a little bit easier to draw.

Any 'generally accepted' principles, or is it simply a matter of personal preference and working with the holster till I find the sweet spot?

BTW, the holster is made by 1791 and the pistol is a Glock 19, if that matters. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have!

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
As you use the holster more it will loosen up some more. Am not familiar with that brand of holster but do have several pancake holsters.

·
23,278 Posts
I like my belts a bit tight, even when I'm not carrying. My belts don't shift at all when I draw. I draw straight, no gun tipping required.

It sounds like your rig is indeed tighter than it should be. We're talking molded leather, right? If a few dozen more draws don't get you where you want to be, try this. Oil the gun well, and wrap it in plastic. Then dampen a thin sock, and put the gun in the damp sock. Now shove the whole thing into the holster. It will be even tighter, of course, but you'll be stretching it just a hair. Once you've got it in the holster, push down on all the low spots with your thumbs. Now, let it sit for 12-24 hours. You'll have loosened the leather, but you should have retained the molded shape. If it's too loose, you used a sock that was too thick. :rolleyes: Use a sock like you'd wear with dress shoes, not boots or hiking.

·
Super Moderator
21,939 Posts
Make sure you're using the right belt for your holster. A good gun belt that is reinforced and the correct width is a must with the type of holster you are using.

If you are using a normal belt it will flex, stretch way to much for your needs.

Keep drawing as the holster may require some break in. I hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I had not considered the belt type - I was using a standard belt, which is a solid belt (not a dress belt, or the like), but not a belt designed for a holster.

·
23,278 Posts
FWIW, I use everyday belts. I've made one that's a bit heavier than average, but I carry just as often with a leather belt I think came from WalMart. And I'm not talking a flyweight polymer gun.

I'm not saying 45 Forever is wrong or anything, I'm just sharing my experience.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Just like your baseball glove; Saddle soap the crap out of it....:cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was made for the gun (Glock 19). The standard method (gun + bag + time) is working well. Thanks, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts