Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved my Iowa carry permit and am looking for a iwb to carry my 24/7 OSS. I have been looking at the DeSantos soft tuck and a knock-off of a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Anyone have any experience with these choices? Good or bad. Money, as always, is a consideration, so I want the best holster for the money. Any other options and/or opinions are welcome. I plan on carrying in the small of my back, but that is just my thinking right now. Thanks in advance...

Dave

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I really like my DeSantis Sof-Tuck for my 709 & 740. All day comfort, adjustable cant, tuckable, rides high and clear - and you can't beat the pricing. Caught mine on sale for about $16 along with some other goodies didn't have to pay freight (OpticsPlanet) and I think Midway is having a sale right now on the Sof-Tucks (not all, but some). According to DeSantis site 24/7 uses model 106NAB6Z0 - Optics is $20.99 and Midway $18.99 + shipping on both. Midway says it's on hand and you can't believe Optics - they backorder alot.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I just recieved my Iowa carry permit and am looking for a iwb to carry my 24/7 OSS. I have been looking at the DeSantos soft tuck and a knock-off of a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Anyone have any experience with these choices? Good or bad. Money, as always, is a consideration, so I want the best holster for the money. Any other options and/or opinions are welcome. I plan on carrying in the small of my back, but that is just my thinking right now. Thanks in advance...

Dave
Say Dave, I don't have my permit yet, but I am probably going to get my CCP. Can you tell me a little about the process in IA?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just had to spend $50 for a 3 hour class and got a certificate of completion at the end of the class. Then took the certificate to the sherriff's office. They took a copy of certificate, I filled out a short questionaire, paid them another $50, and had my permit in 3 days through the mail. I didn"t have to shoot anything. That's how it is in Page County anyway. Some jurisdictions you have to shoot to qualify, so probably you should check with you couny's sherrif's office to be sure.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The 24/7 OSS is a larger pistol and I think you will need more support for a comfortable carry. I suggest you look at the Gelco, Crossbreed or Old Faithful inside the waist band like the King Tuk with the Kydex and leather. Check it out! I like it for my Millenniums.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are several IWB holsters out there. 91whiskey mentioned Theis, who is a sponser here and they make a holster similar to the Old Faithful and Crossbreed makes. Here are the links for you to chose from:

American Holster Company

Crossbreed Holsters

Old Faithful Holsters

Theisholsters.com

Side Guard Holsters

White Hat Holsters

There are other, less expensive holsters out there but for all day comfort, I wouldn't recommend anything smaller that the Super Tuck and similar designs to spread the weight out. There may be other ones out there but these are the ones that I found that had offerings for my PT145.

If you don't have a gun belt, you will need one of them too. They are thicker and made of more durable types of leather than cow hide. It won't be cheap but you won't regret it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a nock-off of crossbread design since( I can't afford one) but they look identical. I should get it tomrrow or Tuesday. I'll give an assesment. of I have worn it a few days and tell you what I find. Thanks for all the imput, it has been helpful.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got both the hoster and 3rd magazine. I have to admit I was like a kid at christmas....played with the holster to get the cant I wanted, put it on and wore it all day; but I had to force myself to not think everyone "knew" my secret. After a while I, it was a bit heavy, but not uncomfortable. As I wear it and get the leather softened up a bit I think I'm thinking it will definately become just like putting my knife in my pocket...just part of getting dressed in the morning....:angel:. I am thinking about rubbing the leather with some mink oil or the like to soften the leather... Any opinions might be appreciated lol . Do I want my holster leather like a well broke in ball glove? ANYONE? lol.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
for those of us in Iowa there is great leatherworker on the south side of DSM, he made me a gun belt that is simply awesome, $45 out the door.

He also does OWB holsters for any gun you can dream of.

If you want his contact info pm me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The only thing I did to mine was take a file to the edges of the back plate and round then off. When they stamp cut the back plate, it left an edge that could be uncomfortable at times. Not any more! I can wear it right next to my skin and be just fine. Sweat and just wearing it will break it in all you need for the rest and you don't want the back plate as soft and pliable as a baseball glove. If it does, it will get uncomfortable. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Look at N82Tactical.com holsters. Most comfortable holster I've ever tried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts