Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a new gun in hand I went to the safe to draw out a similar model for a comparison. The LaGard keypad beeped normally, but the safe wouldn't open. ARRRGH! I change the battery out every six months... so it can't be that right? I pull the battery and it registers at nearly nine volts. After replacing it with new one. Same scenario, six beeps followed by two. Great, but it's still locked up tight.

Each time I walked by that safe whilst searching for its elusive manual, I applied the combo to no avail. After two days of this nonsense, I finally drove to the hardware emporium and purchased some new Duracells. Cheapest of the name brands at $4.95 apiece. I bought a value 4 pack for $14.95.

After changing out the battery again, it opened on the first try. Blood and grommet pressures went down immediately.

Never found the safe manual. I must've put it somewhere really safe.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Find the manual. Google is your friend, in the last resort. Look under the section "Lubrication", to start.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Having a new gun in hand I went to the safe to draw out a similar model for a comparison. The LaGard keypad beeped normally, but the safe wouldn't open. ARRRGH! I change the battery out every six months... so it can't be that right? I pull the battery and it registers at nearly nine volts. After replacing it with new one. Same scenario, six beeps followed by two. Great, but it's still locked up tight.

Each time I walked by that safe whilst searching for its elusive manual, I applied the combo to no avail. After two days of this nonsense, I finally drove to the hardware emporium and purchased some new Duracells. Cheapest of the name brands at $4.95 apiece. I bought a value 4 pack for $14.95.

After changing out the battery again, it opened on the first try. Blood and grommet pressures went down immediately.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why I don't have electronic locks.

I'll stick with my old fashioned mechanical dial lock, thank you very much!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's why I don't have electronic locks.

I'll stick with my old fashioned mechanical dial lock, thank you very much!
A few years back my other safe, the one with the twirly knob refused to open. It finally worked, but it needed the lock work cleaned and lubricated. The cost for a few tissues, magic cleaner lube and labors of a farmer that did this on the side was $100. Yeah, it was worth it.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Just make sure you keep a copy of the combination somewhere safe...but not IN the safe...

Two different places, one off site and marked. The one on site isn't obvious.

Attachments

Reactions: boz

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mine has an electronic keypad. It also has a backup key to use in case the electronic lock dies.

I learned not to use store brand batteries in it. Once I replaced the battery with a brand new store brand battery, and it refused to work. Went to the store and bought an Energizer - Bingo!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
^^^^^^^^ Have the same. Have 2 keys just in case. One hidden and one locked in another safe. That reminds me my batteries are due for replacement.

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
HMM, so thats what those funny looking key thangies were for, and the manual to explain all that stuff?
One in my other safe, and one in my deposit box at the bank,

Attachments

·
Registered
36,310 Posts

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
Just make sure you keep a copy of the combination somewhere safe...but not IN the safe...
exactly!
I place that on the front of the safe so I won't lose it and if I need to use it then its really handy there!

Attachments

Reactions: boz

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have a combination combination lock. It has dual capabilities of electronics and manual tumblers, with different combinations for both. It turns out the electronics won't function outside a certain temperature range, so in the coldest days of the year I gotta spin the dial.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Went to move so put my handheld GPS where I knew I could find it. 4 years later.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It has been a surprise to me to find that the brand of battery can make a difference in some cases. We have two grandsons with us at least one day a week, and they have a number of toys that use batteries.
Duracell or Energizers have been our primary purchase, but a local store had Rayovac red top for significantly less. As we used them, we realized they did not last even half what the others did. Anything with a motor ran out of juice way early. My Streamlight Stylus Pro ate them up, too.
So, back to what works.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Another mechanical only here. In case of EMP... :p
I did note once, that the tumblers seemed to have problems with the full combo, so nowadays I just turn the dial a few notches over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts