Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Near All Time High Gun Sales!

2K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  mingaa 
#1 · (Edited)
A CNN article noted that “Black Friday” 2014 set a new record high for NICS background checks, recording more than 175,000 calls. This falls just short of the all-time record of 177,000 on December 21, 2012.
Gun sales boom on Black Friday - CNN.com << LINK

Side note - MO CCW renewal process streamlined.
Yesterday I was in and out in 30 minutes. The card used to be an endorsement on a drivers license or state ID card. The sheriff now handles the whole process and the photo step is gone as well. Further - The renewal is now on a 5 year cycle rather than the 3 years and by not having to work with the DMV the cost has gone down.

Works for me.
:cool:

#3 ·
I think the Ferguson situation has given us a good reminder of just how irrational some folks can be. The all time firearm sales records were pushed by fears of a certain class of rifle being banned. The current sales are being pushed by fears of how dangerous so many people can be and and how many irrational people there actually are.

#4 ·
Not to mention there a some super great deals on guns floating around - it's taking all my resolve not to buy guns I really don't need cause the price is so low. LOL

#5 ·
Sorry to report I was not one of them.

Reactions: Ebha and Wolf1477
#6 ·
I stopped myself from impulse buying on credit more than once recently.
I am spent out of any cash but what is reserved for family for the holidays.
I have all parts for a rifle build (need a drill press milling vise - today?) in a drawer.
Sales started early this year. Black Friday was not the single day spectacular that it started out as.

BUT it was for gun sales!!
I believe the CNN article points out that 175,000 background checks/store sales = 1 gun sold every 3 seconds!!

Reactions: darbo and Wino
#7 ·
I resisted the temptation to buy the G-2 at Academy for a graduation present for my youngest in May. Main reason was having to buy all the gifts for kids and grand kids. Those desert tan G-2's are good looking though.

#8 ·
Near perfect storm!
Ferguson, the signing of the Illegal immigrant executive order, Black Friday, general unrest from terrorism, Lack of public Hangings, shortage of microwave popcorn!.
OK just seeing if you were paying attention!!!

#19 ·
Just the Microwave stuff!
Nobody knows how to cook now so there is plenty of the old type popcorn that needs to be heated and popped.
I wish I could figure out how to make cell phone popcorn then I would be a zillionaire, could Buy Taurus and make a target grade 22 semi auto, a 1911 in Commander and officers size and open a Taurus Pro shop for special orders!

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
I hope the training programs are making it hand over fist as well as gun sales continue at record pace.
Chatting with a Sheriff renewing my CCW yesterday we traded thoughts about new gun owners, how many he'd processed recently for carry endorsements and the hope that folks would be more time than just the 8 hour CCW class to learn how to use them well and safely.

Reactions: olfarhors
#15 ·
All the while, the Black Friday (Thursday through Sunday) retail and online sales were nothing to write home about. In fact, they were pretty much in line with an ordinary weekend. If this continues, the new year will be filled with pink-slips for more than just the seasonal workers.

#16 ·
Well - i spent out early BECAUSE I was seeing sales everywhere. Pre-Black-Friday Sales etc. I got as many deals as any given year before BF ever got here.

Cyber Monday had me thinking of buying on credit but I am not doing that anymore - takes too long to pay back. I hope all told that sales meet overall expectations but BF is not what it used to be and Thanksgiving may as well not exist - it just does not generate that much economic activity.

I kid about Thanksgiving but it is true - I still treasure a good meal with friends and family dearly. A stop of frantic life to remember some of the good things in life. For some it just seems to get in the way of Christmas however...

Reactions: darbo
#17 ·
Thats also not taking into account purchases made without the NICS check. For example in Texas with a CHL you dont do the check.

Reactions: mingaa
#18 ·
SOME DAY the "Guess he picked the wrong diner" Glock (insert any gun) ad may come true!! BGs will be looking for other professions.

Hey - a guy can dream, right!!!?? ;)

Reactions: TexasAviator
#20 ·
Not to hijack, but record gun sales was a big part of the .22 lr ammo shortage problem. Not the whole problem, but part of it.

More and more guns being sold means more and more ammo being bought. Now all different calibers of gun were bought, including .22 lr.

I don't have teh stats in front of me, but guns sales have been climbing every year.

More people, bigger population, more crime, more fear = more first time gun buyer than ever before. Figure in existing gun buyers like ourselves who canot just own one gun

Get where I am going?

Again, not the whole reason for the ammo shortages, but a big reason that contributed to it.

#22 ·
I never stopped loading, shooting or competing. Worried, ran out of some favorite supplies, paid a bit much for others - Yep. But if that's part of the cause I can live with it!

We we all know that a certain % of these are impulse buys and they will return to the secondary market as bargains with REALLY low shot counts. AND who will be there to buy them - - yeah, uh-huh!!! ;)

#21 ·
On a different note:

My wife has always like to shoot rifles and shotguns. Back when we dated, she could out shoot most of my friends with my SKS.

I know, she was a keeper - right! :cool:

But she was never really comfortable with a pistol. She wasn't really happy with me having one either. She couldn't tell you why either.

Well, she ain't ready to go out blazing with a pistol in each hand, but she is really okay with me having not one, but three now. Looking at a fourth and
she even cough , cough has a revolver now.

It's almost like the skies opened up and the angel sang!

#23 ·
I just hope the slew of new shooters train adequately with their new purchases. Heck, I hope the repeat buyers also train with their new stuff.

Reactions: 88keys and mingaa
#26 ·
Yep - a gun is not a magic wand!!! Just the opposite if not understood and handled properly!!!

#30 ·
I didn't help with the record.

#31 ·
Think about it that is 3 every second from FFL dealers. I wonder how many thousand more were sold privately?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.