Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would have throttled the guy.
Last weekend, around 2:00 an older guy walks up to the counter for range rental and has the need to show off his Sig 938 to the girl behind the counter, who btw is very competent and knowledgeable about anything gun related. Anyhoo, he un-holsters the gun, she tells him to re-holster it, he tells her its clear and for some reason, only known to him, pulls the trigger!

The shot hit the top back of the display case, not breaking the glass but grooving the wood. She was standing directly in front of him. The shot went diagonally from his right hand to just missing her right side. It went through the plastic seal of a knife hanging on the display board and into the board.
She instantly disarmed him and walked away. She told me she doesn't remember doing anything but her ears ringing. They showed me the video from the security camera.
I would have to have pistol whipped him with his own weapon.

Needless to say, he didn't get to shoot anymore.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
What a maroon! None of my LGSs allow you to unholster a holstered gun. Even if you’re headed to the range.

Want to try on some shoes . . . Er, I mean holsters? Take your gun to your car, clear it and bring it in with slide locked back and no mag in place. If a wheeler dealer you got to have the cylinder swung out or loading gate open. The staff will verify clear before you can start size fitting.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Shops really need to have the legal ability to fine idjits like that. I figure a $200 fine plus costs of damages and legal fees would go a long ways at reducing idiocy in our lifetimes. Personal injury should require jail time.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The ranges I frequent all have signs posted at the entrances that specifically state no carry or uncased guns. Is this not required at this range?

If the girl was armed it's a wonder she didn't reflexively shoot the idiot.

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
On top of everything else I'm glad the young lady wasn't injured or worse. I'm pretty sure of the consequences of beating a moron with his own gun and having been shot at in the past I know I won't lose it when a shot is fired, so I think I would just pound his weapon flat on an anvil and call it even.

·
8,902 Posts
Absolutely unforgivable. Personally I think the owner of the shop needs to inform the local PD about the ND, and maybe they need to take his CCH away from him. At least he needs to pay for all damages. I am getting angry just typing.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I always walk sideways looking at the table where they check and clear firearms coming into gun shows. I have empty chamber indicators for most of my guns. Required in competitive shooting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Absolutely NO common sense!

Last week I went and requalified with my G31 after a very nice session my friend and FA instructor and I returned to the counter to check my score he asked me what the serial # was and even then I asked permission to remove my gun from the holster and the OWNER came out smiled at me and stuck his hand out and said thank you sir I greatly appreciate your request.
Please folks take the time to be safe if not for yourself definitely for those around you.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutely unforgivable. Personally I think the owner of the shop needs to inform the local PD about the ND, and maybe they need to take his CCH away from him. At least he needs to pay for all damages. I am getting angry just typing.
They did file an incident report with the Sheriff's Dept.

·
Premium Member
5,190 Posts
Ah ha, "ND" = negligent discharge. It took toward the end of the first post to figure that out.

I'm really not concerned about being confronted by a bad guy when I'm out and about, but when I'm in the gun shop, if they're anything like the drivers around here, they are clueless.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Paying for damages is the minimum that should happen, losing a CWP might be a little steep but the line's gotta be drawn somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,414 Posts
Ah ha, "ND" = negligent discharge. It took toward the end of the first post to figure that out.

I'm really not concerned about being confronted by a bad guy when I'm out and about, but when I'm in the gun shop, if they're anything like the drivers around here, they are clueless.
So you're not in North Dakota anymore.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Paying for damages is the minimum that should happen, losing a CWP might be a little steep but the line's gotta be drawn somewhere.
I would certainly be in favor of holding his gun in escrow until damages paid for.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
I would have throttled the guy.
Last weekend, around 2:00 an older guy walks up to the counter for range rental and has the need to show off his Sig 938 to the girl behind the counter, who btw is very competent and knowledgeable about anything gun related. Anyhoo, he un-holsters the gun, she tells him to re-holster it, he tells her its clear and for some reason, only known to him, pulls the trigger!

The shot hit the top back of the display case, not breaking the glass but grooving the wood. She was standing directly in front of him. The shot went diagonally from his right hand to just missing her right side. It went through the plastic seal of a knife hanging on the display board and into the board.
She instantly disarmed him and walked away. She told me she doesn't remember doing anything but her ears ringing. They showed me the video from the security camera.
I would have to have pistol whipped him with his own weapon.

Needless to say, he didn't get to shoot anymore.
They did file an incident report with the Sheriff's Dept.
So, rt, does the state of Fla’s carry permit laws cover ADs or NDs as punishable incidents against their carry permit? I’m thinking they would have to commit an actual crime - be it a misdemeanor or a felony - to take action against their permit being that it is an extension of their 2A. Mostly, misdemeanors don’t count against a license except for repeated actions - eg., repeat DUIs, speeding tickets, etc are actionable against your DL.

Not trying to make too big a deal but in some cases the store taking the gun away could be viewed as theft. How many of us who reside in “non gun registry” states carry proof of ownership of each gun we carry? Do we all keep the paperwork and receipts for every gun we’ve ever traded or bought?

Again, not trying to lose perspective of what we’re discussing. rt, having seen the footage, you are most familiar to the incident under discussion. Assuming you’re most familiar with how Fla laws deal with ADs and NDs and carry permit holders, too. I can easily see the store/range not allowing him to return and hold him liable for damages. Just not sure of what actions LEO might have - particularly as the permit goes.

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO
1 - 20 of 43 Posts