Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to buy the cheapest nail polish that I could find in red, white and black to paint some sights on my non-visible, fixed front and rear metal blades on my FIE E22 .22LR: the one I used for the April Pistol Challenge.

I went to Wally World and found the three colors that I needed for a whopping $0.97 each. I bet your wondering, "Why does he need black nail polish? The answer is: To make the marks I made more precise and also to cover up the mistakes I made with the other colors.

My plan was to paint white dots on the rear sight and a white dot on the front, except that the front is a blade with the thin side facing the shooter. Also, there wasn't enough room to paint white dots onto the rear sight so I made them squares instead. As for the front blade sight, I painted a white stripe along the back edge.

However, looking at the resulting sight picture, I could not differentiate the white stripe on the front sight from the two white squares on the rear sight. That's why I got the red nail polish. I painted a red stripe over the white stripe leaving just a fraction of it visible through the blade U notch.

Here is how the front sight looks now:

front-sight-3_b.jpg

and the rear sight with the front sight visible in the notch:

front-sight-5_c.jpg

Then, I thought, "What if I bought some luminescent {glow in the dark} paint and put a coat of it over the sights?"

I got a small container of yellow-green Strontium Aluminate powder (from Amazon, of course) and mixed it with some clear nail polish I had left over from another project. Then I dipped a thin brush in it and carefully painted over the nail polish sights:

E-SIGHT7.jpg

To charge up the luminescent paint, I held a black light next to the sights:

E-SIGHT3.jpg

And here is how the sights looked in low light.
Say "Hello" to my $8 "Figidcon" night sights.

E-SIGHT11.jpg

If you saw my April Pistol Challenge entry, then the results speak for themselves.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
I used white fingernail polish on a .38 revolver front sight, then protected it with clear fingernail polish. It's held up well for years. Good job, PeterPocket.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I have a wide collection of finger nail polish colors. I use them to make custom colored jig heads for fishing and to touch up other fishing lures. I have done a couple sights over the years.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
OK, I need to take a break and go drink a couple of beer and smoke a cigar !!!!---------

Attachments

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Very nice. I've raided my daughter's stash of nail polish many times.

I've raided my GF's (now fiancée's) nail polish too. She was throwing out a number of them so I scooped up the colors I used most: red, clear, and a really light blue-ish (she didn't have white and it was easier for my eyes to pick up against well-lot background).

I used white fingernail polish on a .38 revolver front sight, then protected it with clear fingernail polish. It's held up well for years. Good job, PeterPocket.
Besides allowing you to custumize your sights it has the added benefit of making the sights look full and luscious. :)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've used blue and yellow for the sights on a slug gun I had. Worked really well to line up the sights even with snow on the ground.

Reactions: RustyYoungMan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts