Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased a .38 special and am having trouble identifying it. I even called taurus and they couldn't help me. the revovler was imported thru the fireams international corp. in washington dc. the sn is 470966 and the number 554 is on the cylinder and also the yoke. it has a 3" barrel and is in 98% condition. ANY information at all would be greatly appreciated...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is probably at least 25-30 years old since NO firearms have been imported to washington DC and it says taurus brazilian on the grip logo

·
32,658 Posts
Older Taurus guns don't show in their data base. Models 80 or 82 come to mind and are the likely candidates. Is this a 5 shot or 6 shot revolver? The 82 has a history going back before the model 80. 1971 and further forward.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is a 6 shot blued revolver. the front sight is fixed and the rear sight is adjustable. also the guy at taurus said that NO accessories are available for my gun...i was wondering if he is right or wrong

·
32,658 Posts
Any holster that fits a K frame Smith & Wesson should fit the Taurus 82. Weight would be about 34 ounces. Take off 2 ounces for the three inch barrel. Worth as follows: Excellent condition:$175.00, Very good:$135.00, good:$110, and fair:$85

The manual says no +P ammo is to be used. Taurus changed all that with the advent of the 2007 catalog. Know all their stuff is +P rated.

It would be recommended to use mostly standard pressure ammo for practice and shoot a few +P rounds (20-30 rounds) to stay current with the gun.

I'll take back the 82 moniker. The adjustable sights just took that one away.
That just made this a model 83.

·
32,658 Posts
Worth is the same whether a 83 or 82 model.Parts can be obtained form www.e-gunparts.com. Speedloaders such as HKS or Safariland that work for Smith&Wesson K frame guns will work with the 83. Bianchi SpeedStrips allow one to carry 6 rounds in a flat holder. Rounds strip off one at a time into chamber. Takes getting used to and with practice can be done well.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Just for reference, Buffalo Bore makes a decent to good 158gr LHP thats standard pressure. Its fairly new but test show that it should perform similar to the traditional 158gr +P LHP.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38

FYI, BB's normal 38 +P stuff is hot and recoils more than traditional +P loads. And the load I'm referencing is the 20C. Now, I haven't tested this myself but thought you might find it useful.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,284 Posts
I would THINK that a grip that fit a M66 or any of the medium frame Taurus revolvers might fit it, but I might be wrong. It might have a flat spring in it like the old Smiths and that could throw a wrench in the grip fit thing. I'm not familiar with the Taurus revolvers from that far back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts