Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were talking about how the S might HTF later this year and she said she may want to try shooting my 24/7!
So I said maybe I better show her how to load a mag so she could reload for me. (just in case)
Much to my surprise she came into the office and I showed her how.
I'm pretty sure the 24/7 might be a bit too much for her, but if she decides she likes shooting, what do I do?
Look for something smaller, like a .25 or .32?
It's going to have to be easy to use and with light recoil.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I had a Bersa Thunder 380, it was a great gun, the only reason I got rid of it was to consolidate my calibers a bit.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
One step at a time. It all sounds good (except that SHTF part!) - if the 24/7 is a bit much maybe rent, borrow some other pistols and have fun looking for the comfort zone. The more she shoots the higher her tolerance may become and she might end up with a larger caliber than she initially thinks.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If you are talking about the 24/7 LS you have listed, I see no pro lens with letting her shoot that. They are good shooting guns and I wouldn't see the recoil being too much

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Which S hitting the fan are You referring to, I want to know so I can be prepared in case it's going to be a wide spread thing.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My wife handles her 709 just fine. I think you might be putting the cart before the horse on this one. Let her shoot it, see what she thinks, THEN worry about what gun and caliber you need to get her. The worst thing you can do though is underestimate what your wife can handle.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Which S hitting the fan are You referring to, I want to know so I can be prepared in case it's going to be a wide spread thing.
Yeah! What SHTF are you refering too?

·
Registered
15,015 Posts
Family outings at the range can be quite fun!

Find a nice medium frame .38/.357 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel and get plenty of soft shooting .38 rounds and let her at it.

Soft shooting .38's will help her learn without being too much. She can work her way up to the harder shooting rounds.

My wife shoots full power .357's in her 2.25 inch Ruger SP101 with no problem. She did not start out with those though.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
We were talking about how the S might HTF later this year and she said she may want to try shooting my 24/7!
So I said maybe I better show her how to load a mag so she could reload for me. (just in case)
Much to my surprise she came into the office and I showed her how.
I'm pretty sure the 24/7 might be a bit too much for her, but if she decides she likes shooting, what do I do?
Look for something smaller, like a .25 or .32?
It's going to have to be easy to use and with light recoil.
My wife likes shooting my Ruger 22 and my 1911. The 1911 is easy for her to rack and chamber a round and the recoil is easy to handle with 230 gr ball or hp ammo. Your wife might surprise you. Your gun money might need to be bumped up. :)

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I did some looking around on the 'net.
Maybe a used 732 TCP or if she can handle the 9mm., maybe a 709 slim. (lots of ammo here for that)

·
Registered
298 Posts
When my wife got her PTC She got a Bersa Thunder 380. It's a great little gun. has a little more weight to it than most modern 380's so the recoil is pretty tame.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Apparently the Bersa is the popular pick. Lol I need to find one and see what is so awesome with this gun. My momma could use a smaller pistol also!

CreekFisher

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
My wife likes shooting my Ruger 22 and my 1911. The 1911 is easy for her to rack and chamber a round and the recoil is easy to handle with 230 gr ball or hp ammo. Your wife might surprise you. Your gun money might need to be bumped up. :)
Ditto this. My wife has a M85UL and a Sig P238 for when she gets her CWL, but at the range, she'll always go right for the
1911's, especially if I have one of the PT1911's (which is pretty much every range trip).

·
Registered
266 Posts
New shooter ...get her going with a 22 LR and let her decide when she wants to move up. Learning to sight and master the trigger is a lot easier when you don't have a lot of muzzle blast and recoil to contend with. Whatever you do don't load up a full house 44 magnum and tell her go ahead pull the trigger....it might be the first and last shoot she ever takes. I don't know why some folks feel like they have to introduce beginners to handgunning with the biggest , hardest kicking gun they own...big mistake.
I started my wife and two children off with 22's and all have progressed on to the center fire's.
Gary

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
I don't think you're giving your wife enough credit. She can shoot whatever she wants; whatever she thinks she needs to.
It's always the mom you hear about throwing the car off her kid. A woman defending her family is not to be trifled with.

That said, I think you should consider a medium frame 4"-6" .357 revolver. She can learn with .38s if she needs to. Even with .38 match ammo which recoils like a .22.
And you've got a gun that belongs in everybody's gun safe.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We'll see how it goes after she tries the 24/7.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
I agree let her give it a try. Just load one round in case she has trouble with the recoil. I do this with all new shooters and all new guns to me. Load 1 round and give it a try.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck with this. I want my wife to carry a gun and without practice and confidence not sure about a revolver tho that's what she wants.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup. What I was going to do, 1 round.
But first have to see if she can rack it without a mag.
(Ya know we're both Old Farts, well, I am anyway, she's a year younger)
Then show her the proper safety stuff.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts