Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got a text I wasn't expecting, from an automated number saying I had a FedEx package scheduled for delivery today and it requires a signature. I copied the tracking No. into the legit FedEx site and sure enough, something from Bainbridge, GA is coming! I sent in my pistol on January 2, Saturday of a holiday weekend, and today is January 12. I was quoted an estimate of 12 weeks' repair time!

Rewinding the story a bit: I was at Elm Fork having some fun with my TX22 when after round 2,392 its SLIDE broke at the guide rod housing.

Luckily I was able to find and grab the broken piece since they call cease-fire to swap paper targets.

I called Taurus, spoke to a lady who was nice and easy to understand, told her about the problem. She got me set up with a prepaid FedEx label right away.

The gun was packaged in two layers of bubble mailer, with the broken slide attached to the frame, no magazine. I included the broken bit of slide in a baggie, and printed out a note with my name and the case number. I wrote a brief description of the issue, and said to have a look at the barrel if they could, because it felt a little weird when I was unscrewing my compensator and the suppressor adapter, but not when screwing back on the regular barrel tip.

As you might notice I have the TANDEMKROSS "TX22 Everything Kit," but smartly I held off on installing the Talon Claw extractor. Who knows if I would even have been able to get it out at that point, I was just trying to keep the thing together attached to the frame so I could ship it.

OKAY, back to today, nobody was going to be home to sign for this firearm! So I took a chance on the "FedEx Signature Release Form" that can be found online. I printed it out, signed it and taped it to my door this morning, and it was marked delivered while I was at work with "Signed By: (My Name)."

Cool, new barrel!

I noticed right away that the recoil assembly looks a little different. See this image I found on another FirearmTalk website:

My old one had 2 coils of spring wrapped tightly at the end there, the same end that meets the slide part that broke off.

My new one doesn't have quite as many as the picture above, but it does have 3:

It also feels a little dimpled at the tip, while my older one didn't. Hopefully, these are indicators that they made SOME changes to the design of this thing, so it doesn't happen again.

It could be me, but the Guide Rod Housing area on this new slide looks a tiny bit fatter?!

Also, see the dust on the "TX" logo, that is how fresh this slide is lol. Right from the laser machine. I thought it looked "blurry" at first then wiped it with my thumb and it looks brand new, very deeply embossed.

So it wasn't the nightmare I thought it would be, but I'd rather it not happen again. I am going to refrain from buying the aftermarket Stainless Steel Recoil Assembly, as I believe this pistol was designed to work perfectly fine as an OEM product. Mine was a lemon and maybe I got very lucky with the turnaround time of the service center, but I do believe if this were to happen again, Taurus would have no problems sending on out a new slide again.

God be with the fella who relies on one of these for self defense.

looks deeply at G3C

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,938 Posts
Always nice to hear when they get it right!

👍

·
Registered
36,297 Posts
well sounds like Taurus had enough problems with the slide cracking/breaking they did a revamp of the spring assembly and got a bunch of parts in!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not sure what happened with the old slide but here is a reference for us all to have, of what a brand new slide should look like:

View attachment 475586
Sorry to say, but it looks like the sharp front edge of the recoil spring assembly is once again gouging into your slide.

You should file it down like this photo, or get the Lakeline assembly if you can't do it yourself...otherwise you're going to have the same problem down the road...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to say, but it looks like the sharp front edge of the recoil spring assembly is once again gouging into your slide.

You should file it down like this photo, or get the Lakeline assembly if you can't do it yourself...otherwise you're going to have the same problem down the road...

View attachment 475587
Sorry, I'm having trouble seeing what you're trying to show me. Could you explain again? Which part did you file down and how can you tell my new guide rod needs it too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts