Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory​​: My now late brother had at one time or another, decades ago, vome into the possession of two brass fire extinguishers.
He made a nice lamp with one. About 20 years ago he game me both. His lamp lights my livingroom.
As for the other one, I have many times considered parting with it, as I never really had time or place to do anything with it.

Now to this morning. I finally decided I want to make my own lamp from the remaining one.
My plans for the switch placement required removal of the hose mounting elbow. This turned into a bit more work than originally planned.
The threads were locked solid. Heat. No-go. Various penetrating products. No-go.

I could see the scars left from when my brother had attempted to remove the elbow.
It was almost as if he was saying, "Here you go, Stinker. Your turn." Yeah Bro, nice hearing from you again after all these years.

Long story short, I managed to get the fitting removed with aid of a Dremel, coping saw, cold chisel and a hammer.
Now I am in need of someone who can soda or bead blast this thing.
Off now to peruse switch options.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Quick, take some before and after pics as well as pics of your brother's lamp.

:nopics:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed on all points. I'll get some pics as time permits.
Yes, he is enjoying this, :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brother's Lamp Pics

Picture time, as promised.

First a couple pics of the lamp my brother built.

JDH Extinguisher Lamp.jpg JDH Extinguisher Lamp with bow.jpg

The LED bulb is a very recent addition. It replaced an old ring-tube CF from ca. 1999.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Project Extinguisher Pics

Here is the starting place for my lamp project.
The cap on this extinguisher has a nice logo that I refuse to drill through.

extinguisher with cap.jpg extinguisher cap graphic.jpg

I have decided to make the extinguisher itself the body of the lamp.
Just how it will look is something I am still chewing on.
Progress as time and budget allow.

·
Registered
31,893 Posts
That's actually copper and brass, I still have one made by Pyrene, and had bought a couple of "Hartford" that were all brass, in about 1977 and had them made into table lamps, but they were really too tall for table lamps. I may have sold them in a garage sale about 20 years or so ago. My copper and brass has just been a place I pretty much throw my change and it is heavy.

2015-04-13_18-15-09_899.jpg

Reactions: Three Percent

·
Registered
31,893 Posts
Sorry, I just saw the copper and brass, now I see the all brass. Shame the emblem was taken off of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts