Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I wanted a Dawson Fiber Optic front sight on my TH9. Dawson does not make a sight specific for the TH9. However, if you give Dawson the dimensions of the dovetail they will help you find a model that can be fitted to work on your pistol.

I like the Dawson Fiber Optic because the 'pipe' is inside a hooded blade. Having the Fiber Optic inside the hood gives a nice sharp contrast between the sight 'pipe' and the blade.

I shoot my TH9 low with the stock sight so I filed the stock sight down until I found the height dimension that works for me. The stock sight blade is .200" tall and the blade height that works for me is .180". Fortunately, Dawson makes many of their front sight post in a variety of heights and I was able to choose the height I needed. The Fiber Optic I installed is .180" tall by .125" wide.

The Dawson sight I chose was not designed for the TH9 but with a little effort I was able to make it fit well. The dovetail on the Dawson sight was a perfect fit to the top of the TH9 slide so a good friction fit was not possible. I added a thin coat of epoxy to the bottom of the dovetail on the sight (not installed) and let it dry for a couple days. Sanding a few .000" of the hardened epoxy off the bottom of the dovetail produced a good friction fit on the slide. I added Loctite and installed the sight. The Dawson sight is tight and gives me the sight picture I wanted on the TH9.

Dawson Fiber Optic on my TH9.

The stock Novak front blade was .130" wide. I like the slightly narrower .125" Dawson Fiber Optic better.

·
Vendor
867 Posts
That looks great. One of the things, for next time, you might try if the front sight is loose is to use a center punch on the bottom of the sight dovetail (not the pistol slide) in 2 or 3 spots. The dimples that it will make displace enough material that it can tighten the fit up a bit.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
or use a shim, a feeler gauge blade offers a wide choice of shim thickness and are cheap.
yo can't see the shim after the sight is installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts