Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot this gun last weekend 60-70 rounds of Winchester 230 grn. FMJ. 5 jams. Okay, new gun needs to break in, clean it and try again. Went to shoot this afternoon. Load 7 rounds instead of 8 in mag and 2 of them jammed, right off the git-go. Started loading just 6 rounds using the same mag, shot 12 rounds and then the trigger broke. It no longer kicks back fully forward after firing. I have to manually move the slide on the right side forward every time. D**n near threw this thing in the pond. So now what? Deal with the lousy customer service of Taurus or get reemed by a gunsmith? This better be an anomaly since I have 2 of them or I'll never buy their products again. Yes, I'm pissed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to hear your having problems with your new purchase. The GOOD thing is Taurus pays for shipping to them and back to you. Contact thier customer service dept, and have them set you up for next day Fed Ex shipment. I had an issue a while back, and it was fixed and shipped back within 10 days. Taurus is the only gun manufacturer I'm aware of that pays for shipping back and forth, and has a life time warrantee that follows the gun not the original owner. good luck!

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Shot this gun last weekend 60-70 rounds of Winchester 230 grn. FMJ. 5 jams. Okay, new gun needs to break in, clean it and try again. Went to shoot this afternoon. Load 7 rounds instead of 8 in mag and 2 of them jammed, right off the git-go. Started loading just 6 rounds using the same mag, shot 12 rounds and then the trigger broke. It no longer kicks back fully forward after firing. I have to manually move the slide on the right side forward every time. D**n near threw this thing in the pond. So now what? Deal with the lousy customer service of Taurus or get reemed by a gunsmith? This better be an anomaly since I have 2 of them or I'll never buy their products again. Yes, I'm pissed.
Other than that, how was your day? Couldn't have been all that bad....you woke up alive and kicking. OK, by now I've either got you to smile or really got under you skin and pissed you off a little more.

Sorry to hear you got a lemon of the 945, but if you have others you know what great pistols they are when everything works as it should. Call Taurus, send it in, get it corrected. They you can choose to either hold on to it or sell it, but either way it needs to be fixed. And there is no reason to pay for it out of your pocket since it has a lifetime Warranty.

If it helps any, I have a Springfield Armory stainless V10 .45 cal...current value in the $800 to $1,000 range and I am still having to push the slide forward with my thumb 3 out of 6 rounds. Mine has a lifetime warranty also, I'm just too damn stuborn to send it in.

Take care and best of luck,

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear your having problems with your new purchase. The GOOD thing is Taurus pays for shipping to them and back to you. Contact thier customer service dept, and have them set you up for next day Fed Ex shipment. I had an issue a while back, and it was fixed and shipped back within 10 days. Taurus is the only gun manufacturer I'm aware of that pays for shipping back and forth, and has a life time warrantee that follows the gun not the original owner. good luck!
I appreciate your concern, honestly. So maybe their customer service isn't that bad? I ordered 2 sets of rosewood grips for same gun from them 4 months ago and when I call the Miami number most of the time they could care less. Always back-ordered. You give me hope. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Seems like all the manufacturers are having issues lately. I think it's probably because every manufacturer out there is cranking out weapons as fast as they can make them. Another member had a post about a ruger he sent back for repair. Evidently they replaced most of the pistol, including the barrel. Unfortunately the new barrel didn't have any rifling in it! Might not make you feel any better, but at least it won't make you feel any worse. :rolleyes: Check it out - Ruger SR9 barrel sans rifling

·
22,058 Posts
Call Miami and send it in. Let us know how it goes.

I know how you feel when something like that happens because it has happened to me.

Another brand gun that didn't function right. At least with Taurus its warranty is for life.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
And I just noticed you're in SW Florida. If it was mine I'd probably walk it over there. But I'm an 'immediate gratification' kind of guy.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I had to send the TCP back that I had. Manufacture date was over a year ago. When I called I was ready to read them the riot act about how it wasn't my fault that the gun sat in a distributors warehouse for how ever many months. The call taker stopped me mid rant and said Sir you are having a problem with your gun and want to ship it back for warranty work correct? I said yes. She them said ok I'll email you a shipping label and you can drop it off at your local Fedex facility whenever you want. Taurus CS is getting better. You want to hear about bad CS I'll tell you about the time I almost choked a guy through the phone over a garbage disposal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Other than that, how was your day? Couldn't have been all that bad....you woke up alive and kicking. OK, by now I've either got you to smile or really got under you skin and pissed you off a little more.

Sorry to hear you got a lemon of the 945, but if you have others you know what great pistols they are when everything works as it should. Call Taurus, send it in, get it corrected. They you can choose to either hold on to it or sell it, but either way it needs to be fixed. And there is no reason to pay for it out of your pocket since it has a lifetime Warranty.

If it helps any, I have a Springfield Armory stainless V10 .45 cal...current value in the $800 to $1,000 range and I am still having to push the slide forward with my thumb 3 out of 6 rounds. Mine has a lifetime warranty also, I'm just too damn stuborn to send it in.

Take care and best of luck,

That Sir is so cool! Thank you. Yes I'm smiling now. I have been trying to fix everything I can fix around my house everyday 'cause I'm heading to North Dakota in 2 weeks to find work. I'm trying to set my wife up so that she doesn't have so much to deal with. Today I had a couple free hours so I went to cut loose with my favorite pastime. The PT945 will get fixed. I did thoroughly enjoy shooting my Henry 45 Colt for the first time and so did my friend's son. I guess I over-reacted.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Sorry to read about your trouble with that 945. The guys have the answer. Phone Miami and ask for a FEDEX label to send it in. I'd include a note detailing just what the gun does and does not. They'll fix it in a jiffy and get it back to you very soon. I have an SS 945 and I am slowly getting pretty good with it. They sure are purty.

Reactions: ozzy and MilProGuy

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Just like everybody can have bad days, manufactuers are the same way. Thankfully Taurus is getting much better regarding their Customer Service.

Yes I can understand how you felt, as I have been there and done that! :)

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Taurus will definitely make it right, i own a stainless 945 myself and absolutely love it. It's an older model (2000) without the rail, and at some point went back to Miami before i bought it. I have no idea what the initial round count was, but i'm nearly at 1500 through mine with little issues outside of it not liking steel case ammo.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
I've found the PT945's to be very durable, well made, and reliable. I believe that yours will not be an exception to that trend, once it's over it's current issue. From your description, the Trigger Return Spring may be broken, which is an odd occurance, but I've seen that happen on other Firearms. Get your Pistol properly repaired by Taurus and go from there.

As for Taurus Customer Service, it's very good these days, and you may find you have it back very quickly.

Comparing Taurus Customer Service to other Gun Manufacturers Customer Service, I've had far more trouble with Kimber, H&K, and S&W. For as much as their stuff costs, you would think their Customer Service would be better.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Oh yeah, i forgot one thing about the 945. It was actually discontinued in late 2010/early 2011. So even though you bought it new, it could have sat around for nearly 2 years before you bought it. Being unmaintained for that period of time can always lead to problems, especially with moving parts like firing system components.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Be patient. Out of my four Taurus I've only had a problem with one. A model 94-4. Hammer was dragging hard on the frame. Sent it back on thier bill and two months later they sent me a new one. This one is perfect in every way. My local pawn shop didn't even charge me for the transfer. I'm a happy camper. They will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Unless I missed that you already tried this, you might try a different ammo. I used to chew through box after box of Winchester USA (WWB) bulk .45 ACP and suddenly one of my guns didn't like it anymore. It turned out something was just junk with that one box. The next box worked just fine. I think WWB is known to have the occasional spotty moment or two and UMC is no different.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Unless I missed that you already tried this, you might try a different ammo. I used to chew through box after box of Winchester USA (WWB) bulk .45 ACP and suddenly one of my guns didn't like it anymore. It turned out something was just junk with that one box. The next box worked just fine. I think WWB is known to have the occasional spotty moment or two and UMC is no different.
That's good advice, but something tells me it won't fix a broken trigger. :D Course it depends on what he meant by 'broken', but he did mention it in the OP.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I forgot about the trigger. I hope it's an easy fix like a piece of grit sticking or binding something and it's not really broken metal. The design is pretty sound but all things made by man are subject to being lemons.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I forgot about the trigger. I hope it's an easy fix like a piece of grit sticking or binding something and it's not really broken metal. The design is pretty sound but all things made by man are subject to being lemons.
I totally agree. Luckily Taurus is pretty good at making lemonade. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts