Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought my Spectrum at Shooters World Tampa for $199 NIB. Hadn't shot until a few weeks ago. I keep reading of light primer strikes and misalignment of frame to slide. Well checked mine and it will shoot a pencil 2-3 feet out of the barrel so that seems to eliminate the light primer strikes issue on this one. That problem solved, next frame slide alignment. Mine doesn't align, slight difference between the two. So what, you have to really look close to see it and it does not seem to effect anything other than visually. 2nd problem solved. Third problem. Only 1 year warranty, I don't like that this info isn't very prominatly displayed but the note I received from Tarurus is that most new weapons are now under a 1 year warranty as of 2017. Too late!! I bought it so guess I'll have to live with it. Got to the range and fired 1 box Sig 380 range ammo. Gun functuioned well, no misfires (other than noted) no jams and reasonable accurate at 7 yards. OK on to the problem:eek:. Not a game changer but be aware of this item. I have average sized hands so don't think that is the problem. Trigger reset is horrible. You must let the trigger go almost all the way forward to get a reset. I had 3-4 fail to fire due to this issue but by just letting the triggger go forward again and it fired every time. So be aware if you short stroke the trigger it will misfire and require letting the trigger go fully forward to reset and it will fire the next time. It would be nice if Taurus or some aftermarket firm would come up with a way to shorten the reset my Spectrum would be great for carry. Just meant as a warning about the reset as that seems to be the major problem I see with it. Visually, and prerformance otherwise is reasonably good especially at it's price point. My Sig 238 on sale and after adding night sights was close to $600, better gun ya-bet-cha but not what I would want to spend on a cheap carry weapon which the Spectrum seems to fit-the-bill well. Accuracy at 7 yards isn't very different between the two

Just my 2 cents worth.........

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Just curious as to how many pencils that you can get in the magazine of the Spectrum??
curious if you don't carry your sig 238 then why did you choose that weapon?
I have one that's many years old and plenty of rounds through it and honestly it looks almost exactly like it did the day I bought it.
its stainless slide and alloy frame , the lightest of the 238's.
welcome to the forum while I am at it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actually I bought it for my spouse, she refuses to carry her Sig unless there is no choice, she might scratch it. When she first started looking for a carry pistol started looking at the Sig 238, loved it but "To expensive" bought many other ones. A Taurus 738, a Beretta, a colt 25 auto, a S&W revolver and a few others, either too hard to rack the slide or too big/heavy for her purse so finally went back and bought the Sig 238 Rosewood. She will not consider IWB or any type of on body carry so purse it is. Hoping the Spectrum will let her carry on a regulary basis due to it's much lower pricing. She can rack the slide and it is as light as her 238 Sig. She has fired it and is Ok with it. Personally I carry a few different weapons depending on the weather and where I'm going and where I'm at. Sometimes it's a Para Elite Carry 3" 45 ACP. If its really hot as it is here in Florida I carry my Shield 9mm or my Sig 938. If I'm traveling for comfort it's my Sig 938 or 238. Sometimes I carry my Taurus 605 357 magnum. It just depends on what whim strikes me for the day. PS I always carry my NAA 22 Magnum no matter what else I'm carrying. The old addage something is better than nothing still applies.

And I also fit in the same catagory you do...Professionally Retired Old Person

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well checked mine and it will shoot a pencil 2-3 feet out of the barrel so that seems to eliminate the light primer strikes issue on this one.
I've tried the pencil test on mine. It moves the pencil about 1/4". Never hits it hard enough to shoot it out of the barrel. Do you have any pics of the primer hits on your brass?

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Thanks for the report on your Spectrum. Perhaps one day we will have another forum meet and range day up that way and we can meet in person.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would love to. I live in the Tampa towards Zephyrhills area. let me know of any events and will try to get to it. Unable to drive for a few weeks due to minor surgery and unable to shoot for the same reason. About 4 weeks I guess then hopefully back to normal. Hoping to get to the Tampa gun show on June 2nd. If nothing else need some ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts