Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right now I have 3 guns I carry depending on where I'm going. Glock 27, S&W 642-1, and a Ruger LCP.

The Glock gets carried more than anything, but in the back of my mind is the thought if I ever needed it in a life and death situation, is there a chance I'd put my finger on the trigger a micro second too soon. I use to keep it on the night stand, but what if someone did break in. Waking up in a state of panic reaching for a Glock in a dark room. What's the chance of grabbing the trigger while trying to get a hand on it.

Sure, what's the chance?

I've had a mint S&W 6906 for a few years, and love the fact you can chamber a round, decock it, and have the first round DA, and the rest SA. Double action trigger pull is pretty heavy.

Only reason I've never carried it is the ambi safety made it wide as hell. Did some searching and finally found a left side only safety decocker. Installed it today, and it will become my main carry as soon as my holster gets finished.

Gonna put a few hundred rounds down range this week, a bunch of white box, and at least a 50 round box of Winchester Ranger T's, which is my all time favorite. They aint cheap either, but I want to be sure it will feed them well.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Very nifty! Fine looking pistol was well. I'm a big fan of the de-cocked DA/SA manual of arms, too.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
That is a nice piece! I was thinking about your reasons why/why not on the other firearms. An option in that situation would be to not keep a round in the chamber on the bedside gun? That way reaching for it isn't a problem. Also, practice getting out of bed quickly maybe with a friend there to go over what you're doing (unloaded gun as always)? That way you'll get in a routine of say getting cover cleared, getting dressed, getting light and gun etc?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nice piece. I was looking at those a few years ago. Shoot straight was selling CHP turn ins. IMO you are putting to much thought into the glock trigger though.

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
When I began carrying I initially shied away from having a round in the chamber but the concern about the time and ability to rack the slide brought me around. I still pretty much insist on a manual safety or decocker for the reasons you outline. Pretty cool that you found a cure for the wide eared ambi safety...good luck with your training progress.

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
MOST CZ's=de-cocked---or half cocked---hammer completely down ---Da first round in either position, then SA after that--with just about 30 bucks and easily replaced Firing pin and main spring you can have a wonderful trigger in both DA and SA.
thats why I own a handful of those sorry things!

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
Very very Nice! :cool: Congratulations and may it serve you well! :smile:

I liked the older second and third generation metal S&W Pistols! They are very feed reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
27,650 Posts
I have a 5906 which I used in service matches for a number of years and put thousands of rounds through without a burp. Or hiccup.
But I found the bottom of the trigger guard too sharp and it chewed into my finger. Obviously that would depend on your hand shape and may not be an issue for you. If it is, a few passes with a fine file took enough of the edge off to be comfortable.
Enjoy.
I've tried to sell the gun a few times, but I take it to the range to make sure it still works before selling. Then I don't sell it. :)

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I wish my Bersa T380 were just a tad smaller. I wold carry it daily if so. What a fine little pistol with de-cocker and DA/SA.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a nice piece! I was thinking about your reasons why/why not on the other firearms. An option in that situation would be to not keep a round in the chamber on the bedside gun? That way reaching for it isn't a problem. Also, practice getting out of bed quickly maybe with a friend there to go over what you're doing (unloaded gun as always)? That way you'll get in a routine of say getting cover cleared, getting dressed, getting light and gun etc?

I sleep like a dead man. I'll get in bed and think about rolling over and be asleep before I get the chance.

I'd never think about not having a round chambered in any semi auto. Only reason I kept the Glock on the night stand was it 's just where I put it when I took it out of my holster at night. Always keep a 605 on the headboard.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MOST CZ's=de-cocked---or half cocked---hammer completely down ---Da first round in either position, then SA after that--with just about 30 bucks and easily replaced Firing pin and main spring you can have a wonderful trigger in both DA and SA.
thats why I own a handful of those sorry things!

Plan was to buy a CZ RAMI BD, but I bought a new truck instead...plus finally scored a single side safety for the 6906.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
CCW carry options:

1. Accuracy
2. Reliability
3. What weapon can you fire best
4. Concealability
5. Good holster & spare mag holder
6. Round performance IF needed (i.e. premium defense ammo that is available, reliable, accurate, and does the job)

·
Registered
36,797 Posts
Plan was to buy a CZ RAMI BD, but I bought a new truck instead...plus finally scored a single side safety for the 6906.
wow--a new truck for 500 bucks, great deal--is it made by Taurus and on closeout or what?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It cost a spot more than $500, and it's not a Taurus.

Truck? What truck? I don't see no truck.

But just what is that girl doing, carrying her sled on her head, and dressed like that in all that snow?

Flash

·
Administrator
18,195 Posts
That reminds me that I do have something very similar in concept to your S&W 6906, but more Cz75-ish.
A Tanfoglio Compact Series 88 TA90, which I have carried on occasion.
It's been a great Carry Handgun and I've placed well in a local IDPA Match with it.

Series 88 Compact TA90 9mm

The Compact TA90 went into semi-retirement, when my pre G2 Taurus Millennium Pro came home.

pre G2 Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Truck? What truck? I don't see no truck.

But just what is that girl doing, carrying her sled on her head, and dressed like that in all that snow?

Flash
It was 85 here a couple weeks ago when I took that picture. Had some serious arctic tundra weather last night and today, got down in the mid 30's last night and only in the mid 50's today.

Supposed to warm back up to normal in the next couple days. Sometimes I wish I'd moved farther south.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts