Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make a short story long.

My son is active duty Air Force. He enlisted and went in right out of high school. He was 17 and not allowed to purchase a firearm. He is a very responsible kid, so when he was at home, he had complete access to all of my firearms. He turned 18 in tech school (air traffic control, where he was top grad!) came home on leave, and married his high school girlfriend. Proved me wrong on that one. Fast forward, he's 23 now. We talked last night and he wants to buy a handgun, and get his CHL. He can buy any Glock model for $399 being active duty military. Question is, his leagal adress is here in Ohio. He's stationed in North Carolina, and he and his wife just bought a house there. My understanding is that Ohio is easier to buy a firearm in and easier to obtain a CHL. Since he just became a property owner in NC, can he still buy a gun and get a Chl in Ohio, or is he now a NC resident? He made it sound like there are a lot of "hoops" in NC. Anybody know what's up there?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I can maybe add a little insight.

When I went active for my deployment I changed my home of record to my parent's address. When I returned home, I got a new driver's license with my parent's address on it. I got my CCW in the county of my parent's address, when I actually live in another county over 4 hours away.

I don't know if that's all up and up, but it worked for me. I'd say as long as he has mail sent to your address and his license address is the same as yours he'd be good to go.

What's the reciprocity like between OH and NC?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
According to USACarry.com NC accepts Ohio CHLs. Also NC honors Ohio as well.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am in NC.
Does he have a NC drivers liscense?
If yes, then all he needs to do is goto the local Sheriffs office and apply for a permit to purchase a handgun. Normally this will take 3 to 5 days to get back. Once he has his permit, he walks into any gunshop in any NC county and purchases the handgun of his choice.

Simce he is already in NC, he can then just register for a NCCCL class and this will usually cost about 90 bucks. Once the class is completed, normally a saturday class will take care of it, he then takes his CCL course certificate to the Sheriffs office again and applies for his NCCCL. This costs $75.00 , maybe $80.00. I think the 75 is the renewal fee after 5 years. Anyway, it isn't that hard especially since he has a NC address.

The NC CCL is recognized by OH so this would probably be the way to go. Even if he had to first go get his NC drivers lis ense.

EDIT: also the permit to purchase the firearm costs $5.00 per permit and he can get 5 per year. Once he geys his NCCCL he no longer needs a permit to purchase as the NCCCL covers all Brady act laws.

EDIT 2: No matter what his home of record is, if he has a NC drivers liscense AND an actual address he will be good to go. I know he has an actual address because you said he bought a house, the drivers liscense is the key.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
If his home of record is in NC, and has an NC driver's license, he is an NC resident in the eyes of Ohio. If his home of record and drivers license is in Ohio, he's a resident of Ohio. The exception is if he's in the Military. He is then non-resident Ohio in the eyes of both states. You said he's no longer on active duty. So, the first two sentences apply.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is still on active duty. His drivers license is from Ohio. Here in Ohio, I believe if he presents his military firearms training card or paperwork, he dosn't have to take a class for a CHL.

·
Registered
597 Posts
He is still on active duty. His drivers license is from Ohio. Here in Ohio, I believe if he presents his military firearms training card or paperwork, he dosn't have to take a class for a CHL.
may be the same here, but that I cant answer, quick call to his local sheriff would clarify wverything.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the NC input. He's in Goldsboro at SMJ AFB.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for the NC input. He's in Goldsboro at SMJ AFB.
I am about 40 minutes from Goldboro. Just a thought, it wouldn't be a bad Idea for him to take the NCCCL class, of coirse he would have to get a NC drivers liscense. I only say this because the class isn't shooting based, it is based around the laws and your rights. Alot of good info in that class regarding lethal force scenarios and what not.
That and cost wise, having to travel back to OH to do this could possibly be more expensive. Coupled with knowing your rights and the laws where you carry are invaluable, and then theres the issue of not having to explain why you have a NC address, an Ohio DL and CCL. Just seems more worthwhile to me for him to do it all in NC.
anyway, good luck to your son in whatever route he chooses to go.

EDIT: Sorry for my spelling, I really can spell, I am on my phone and I have large fingers and a small touch screen keyboard. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
If this is concerning the purchase of the firearm at his current duty station and not in the state of home of record, he will provide the FFL a copy of his orders posting him at current location. I did the same a awhile back but had more locations than him. I am a resident of Florida, At the time of purchase was stationed in Texas, to mix it up more, I had a Colorado Driver license. So again, all he needs to do is ensure he has a copy of his orders as he is not a resident for the state of his current duty location per se, his orders give him the exception. I am not aware if North Carolina has non=resident CHL or not, this this site will give the info needed. I do know that North Carolina does in fact recognize Ohio CHL.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info guys. My son will be here on leave in June or July. We'll see what happens between now and then.
IDLE, I'm going to be in Goldsboro the week of May 14th!

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I didn't think military personnel in NC had to take a concealed license class. My buddy moved to Greensboro about 5 years ago. I remember him saying he just had to apply for the permit since he is a former Marine. My memory might be off, or the law might have changed since then.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. My son will be here on leave in June or July. We'll see what happens between now and then.
IDLE, I'm going to be in Goldsboro the week of May 14th!
If I happen to be in state maybe we could grab a coke or shoot a few. With my job I cant plan anything that far out.

I didn't think military personnel in NC had to take a concealed license class. My buddy moved to Greensboro about 5 years ago. I remember him saying he just had to apply for the permit since he is a former Marine. My memory might be off, or the law might have changed since then.
I m not sure about that, Id rather have the course regardless, as it covers the laws that not only can be used against you but also the laws that can help you. Never can be to prepared.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Like a previous poster said, if he can produce a North Carolina driver's license and can prove
residency in North Carolina he should be good to go. He will have to apply for a pistol permit
at his local sherrif's office if he does not have his NC conceal and carry license. Pistol permits
are $ 5.00 a piece (unless they have gone up in the past couple of years, it's been a while
since I had to get one). When he goes to the sherrif's office he can apply for up to five
pistol permits at one time and they are valid for two years if they go unused. My wife is
from the Goldsboro area and it is not a bad place to live, it's less than two hours from
the coast.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like a previous poster said, if he can produce a North Carolina driver's license and can prove
residency in North Carolina he should be good to go. He will have to apply for a pistol permit
at his local sherrif's office if he does not have his NC conceal and carry license. Pistol permits
are $ 5.00 a piece (unless they have gone up in the past couple of years, it's been a while
since I had to get one). When he goes to the sherrif's office he can apply for up to five
pistol permits at one time and they are valid for two years if they go unused. My wife is
from the Goldsboro area and it is not a bad place to live, it's less than two hours from
the coast.[/QUOT

His DL is from Ohio. I wasn't sure if buying a house made him a NC resident.

·
Super Moderator
19,807 Posts
I am in NC.
Does he have a NC drivers liscense?
If yes, then all he needs to do is goto the local Sheriffs office and apply for a permit to purchase a handgun. Normally this will take 3 to 5 days to get back. Once he has his permit, he walks into any gunshop in any NC county and purchases the handgun of his choice.

Simce he is already in NC, he can then just register for a NCCCL class and this will usually cost about 90 bucks. Once the class is completed, normally a saturday class will take care of it, he then takes his CCL course certificate to the Sheriffs office again and applies for his NCCCL. This costs $75.00 , maybe $80.00. I think the 75 is the renewal fee after 5 years. Anyway, it isn't that hard especially since he has a NC address.

The NC CCL is recognized by OH so this would probably be the way to go. Even if he had to first go get his NC drivers lis ense.

EDIT: also the permit to purchase the firearm costs $5.00 per permit and he can get 5 per year. Once he geys his NCCCL he no longer needs a permit to purchase as the NCCCL covers all Brady act laws.

EDIT 2: No matter what his home of record is, if he has a NC drivers liscense AND an actual address he will be good to go. I know he has an actual address because you said he bought a house, the drivers liscense is the key.

Whoa!!! You need a permit to PURCHASE a handgun in NC? I could understand a permit to CARRY but just to be able to PURCHASE??? I thought that was what the NCIC background check was for. In Georgia, you do NOT need anything except ID and proof that you are > 21 and an NCIC BG check if no GFL to purchase a handgun; If you have your GFL/GWL only question would be "cash, check or credit card?" You do not even need your GFL (Georgia Firearms License/AKA Georgia Weapon License) just to buy one - just to carry one. Not banging on NC, just clarifying....since Ga and NC reciprocate each other. I carry all the time in NC when travelling the Blue Ridge Parkway on my bike . . .

·
Super Moderator
27,013 Posts
Another thing to check....His Mil firearms training may exempt him from the class, but not abiding by the laws....In FL mi FIL got his concealed permit by showing his DD214 from 1954!!!
I am also exempt by doing the NRA class.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Whoa!!! You need a permit to PURCHASE a handgun in NC? I could understand a permit to CARRY but just to be able to PURCHASE??? I thought that was what the NCIC background check was for. In Georgia, you do NOT need anything except ID and proof that you are > 21 and an NCIC BG check if no GFL to purchase a handgun; If you have your GFL/GWL only question would be "cash, check or credit card?" You do not even need your GFL (Georgia Firearms License/AKA Georgia Weapon License) just to buy one - just to carry one. Not banging on NC, just clarifying....since Ga and NC reciprocate each other. I carry all the time in NC when travelling the Blue Ridge Parkway on my bike . . .
Yep permit to purchase handgun. It takes care of all NCIC and Brady so when you walk into the shop with your permit you basically choose your firearm fill out any "required" paperwork and your on your way. I actually was in and out when I purchased my last Taurus in under 10 minutes.
Now if you have your CC you don't need to buy purchase permits.
Don't worry about traveling through NC, the permit is just a purchase permit, it has absolutely nothing to do with owning or carrying or transporting. After having lived in places Id have to wait 3 days to pick up my weapon and then go through the background check, I will take the permit route everytime. I don't worry about that now because I have my CC. It really isnt a big deal, also probably keeps alot of thugs out of the shops simce the shop can ask to see your permit before showing you a firearm, but thats not a requirement either. I have ALOT of tattoos and a shaved head and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am a retired soldier and former drill sergeant, so i know the military weapons training. He needs to take the class, the air force may have taught him to shoot and safety but the class will teach him local carry laws and trust me there is a big difference in carring a military weapon and how and why we carry a firearm off duty. The class can do nothing but good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts