Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just got myself an early birthday present!

I've had my Heritage RR .22 for a little over 2 years now, and have enjoyed shooting it quite a bit. It was given to me as a birthday present and was the first gun that I ever owned. While I will admit that it isnt as good as a Colt or a Ruger, it served its purpose as a beginners gun just as well on a smaller budget. Now that I'm (hopefully)a better marksman, I decided to give 357mag a try after successfully handling 45acp and 44mag reasonably enough. Also, now that I reload for 38 special, I wouldn't have to buy ammo right away. Seeing as my last RR worked just fine, and a few good reviews on this forum about them, I figured Id check out Heritages big bore revolvers. After making my purchase, I picked it up from the local General Store ffl(the only old-time mom & pop tool shop I've seen with a ffl).

Impressions
myheritagebigbore.jpg
I've never realy owned a real single action clone before, but I've handled a few over time and can say that its a pretty basic no frills SAA clone. When I was first looking I was considering getting a EAA bounty hunter, but found that it and the Heritage was the same price point. Both all blued, both have transfer bars, both in the sub $400 range. The action on the RR is what I can describe as "mechanical". Its somewhat rough and a little heavy in the trigger and hammer pull, but not terribly so like the Spanish SA/DA I had before it. In comparison to the Uberti El Patron, its pretty unrefined. However, I've handled two older Colt SAA's with similar feeling actions. Lock up with hammer back and down is reasonably tight with no endshake. Cylinder lines up with the ejector rod ok at half-cock. The trigger resets very similarly to a Ruger SA because of the safety mechanism. When firing, the trigger does seem to have a little bit of creep. The finish is in a decently polished blue which is partially what attracted me to it and I'm sure it will wear nicely over time. The grips are pretty nice and I think I might have them customized with some fancy checkering later on. The guns overall size is pretty hefty which makes me happy I went for the shorter 4 1/2" barrel.

So far I'm pretty content with my purchase, but Ill have to reserve final judgement until I get to fire it as that's when all the bugs pop up. The only negative things I have to say is that the cylinder has a slight cloudy spot on it that ruins the looks of it for me a little bit, and my small hands make it difficult to reach the hammer spur one handed. A lower profile hammer would fit me best. Everything else is just normal stuff you would either ignore, or have worked on as an option later on.

·
22,963 Posts
Looks really nice!

Do people checker the grips on these pistols? I thought smooth grips were part of what makes a SAA work well.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Very nice indeed! thanks for the review and photo. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
I know you'll like your big bore Heritage! I like mine! Remember- revolvers RULE! :)

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Trust me, you don't want checkered grips....

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Looks great! Good on ya!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone interested....

Heritage does not actually manufacture their Big Bore Revolvers. The guns are manufactured by Pietta (Italy) and imported in "kit" form into the US for Heritage where they assemble them and market them as Heritage Big Bore Revolvers. Pietta also manufactures revolvers for EMF, Cimmeron and others.

This is not a knock on Heritage... just the opposite in fact.... Pietta makes some very nice firearms and Heritage is a solid company in their own right.

Don

·
32,706 Posts
D.A.P.. You got a winner there. The point is.... it is a single action revolver that seems like a class act. Rimfire single action revolvers are a hoot to shoot. That RR fills the bill for that. For the price they are a pretty decent gun.

The loading and firing a "cowboy" gun that is fun and useful to the extreme. :) Everyone can enjoy the nostalgia as well.

I always shoot what I can afford and am looking at a Heritage to join the Ruger New Single Six I have. There's a couple of H&R or NEF revolvers in the fold as well. Those are as accurate as any "high end" revolver. Tiny groups at 25 yards or darn close to it is enough for me for a days shooting yet the bank won't get broken for ammo. I'm a plinker at heart. I can also be by user namesake but in a safe manner. :):D

Going to belly up the bar and have a sarsaparilla or two. Hic!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply's! Gotta get a nice holster for it now(among other things).

Interestingly, Traditions also sells the exact same revolver, but in a matte finish. I figured with the Heritage, at least I get to see how good they would do the fit and finish state side(also it looks prettier). Getting curious, I disassembled it for a thorough cleaning and found that they polished most of the major components to a mirror finish and blued them! The cylinder bolt from what I can tell is absolutely smooth and shiny! They left a few rough spots in there on the sears and a few other places of course, but the that was expected for the price point. Is it normal for the parts to be polished like that? Also the catalog that came with it advertises they may be compatible with 3rd gen Colt parts???

As for grips, I figured altering the originals possibly in the distant future, but I think ill leave them as is. I was thinking of trying to get it to look like an antique Colt SAA I saw at a local FFL that was all blue with checkered black grips. I really liked the thing but couldn't afford the $1000+ for it. It looks and feels almost like it, just missing the grips and bluing wear.

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
Congrats on your new hogleg.

·
32,706 Posts
According to Heritage, http://www.pietta.us/products/ makes some of their parts. Heritage does the assembly and plating. Let's put it this way. Pieta makes the parts, probably over in Italy, ships things over to Heritage, and then Heritage takes things from there.

Traditions single action revolvers are made and put together by Pieta of Italy. Traditions 1873 revolvers, single action versions, have transfer bar system so 6 cartridges can be carried safely in the gun. Heritage DOES NOT have that thus the carry only 5 cartridges in the gun.

Heritage's owner manual has the loading 5 rounds only with a empty 6th chamber procedure. It can be done safely.

With the Heritage hammer block on your model it might be possible to carry all 6 chambers loaded but the manual says NO.

But at a range there is little reason not to load all of the revolver's chambers to shoot. That is unless the gun IS going to be holstered.

Ruger New Single Sixes have the transfer bar inside. I always put 6 rounds in my single action revolvers. But then all of the single action revolvers I own have the transfer bar safety system in them.

There are a lot of old time and veteran shooters who ALWAYS load 4, skip one chamber, and load the last round regardless of WHAT single action revolver they are shooting. This keeps everything safe.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Nice gun, I will second that checkered grips are not for shooting. There are some cheap after market plastic grips with checkering. Try those before spending time or money on wood. Ruger came out with the black plastic grips on their single actions again a while back. The first thing most of us do is replace them with smooth grips. The grips without the grip screws are first class. Ruger and others use screws to save money. I like the old style better. Enjoy it and use the money you saved for other things.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Nice S/A revolver

1 - 20 of 24 Posts