Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I recently posted my first Duracoat project, a Remington 870 setup as a defender that had rusted pretty bad. The next one was near and dear to my heart, an 870 Ducks Unlimited I won at a raffle when I was 12. It was my first shotgun and first firearm period, other than a .22.

It had rusted really bad, and for this one I made sure to take before pictures. The surface is oily from my mitigation treatment when I found the gun to be as rusty as it was. I blasted the surface, cleaned with thinner, and went to town with Duracoat in SOCOM color out of my airbrush.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The pitting is still evident, but I don't mind as it's part of the history and I'm not sure what I'd even try to fill it with. I love how it came out though. More pics to come after I refinish the stock and forearm.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
That looks pretty good! When you say you 'blasted the surface' what exactly do you mean? Do you have a media box and actually used walnut shells or did you use a different process?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks pretty good! When you say you 'blasted the surface' what exactly do you mean? Do you have a media box and actually used walnut shells or did you use a different process?
I've got a little Wel-Bilt cabinet that sits on a bench-high surface that I bought off Craigslist. There is sand in it--I presume to be either aluminum oxide or some other blasting media. Whatever it is came in the blaster so I couldn't tell you. It's certainly harder than walnut shells but it won't damage the metal.

Reactions: Cariwine

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Looks good! I'll be sure to follow this thread to see the finished product. What wood are the stock and forearm- do you know?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good! I'll be sure to follow this thread to see the finished product. What wood are the stock and forearm- do you know?
I don't, but the checkering is in great shape so I will be stripping it and only sanding what I have to. I think I will stain it in red mohagany since the original color is pretty close to that, and then spraying a satin poly on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Reactions: Cariwine

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have now completed the project and am anxiously awaiting the chance to shoot this thing. I redid the wood twice. I decided against stain as the wood looked really nice on its own. I stripped and sanded the wood, then used semi-gloss poly varnish, brushed on. After one coat it looked gorgeous, but I put on another and didn't like it. It was too shiny and I had some runs. It took away from the beauty of the wood, and with one coat it actually looked original. So I stripped and sanded it again and went with only one coat. I am in love with the results...

The top two photos are "before", bottom two are "after"

I also forgot to mention that I repaired the forearm to try and keep the whole thing original but I also redid the new one I got from ebay.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.