Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the first test I posted, the round used was 6.4gr of HP-38 behind a 158gr XTP with a CCI 550 primer. This is a carry load for self defense. I have heard both sides of the argument and have decided to load my own SD rounds. This my choice.

I'd like to hear from some of you more experienced folks who can help me interpret this data and provide input to my method of testing. Over penetration is a bad thing, so I chose to stay on the lighter side of the load, hoping for a velocity between 950-1100 fps.

Shot was fired at exactly 15 feet from target

Pic 1. 3 jugs of water allowing 1 foot 6 inches of water to penetrate
Pic 2. About 4 gallons of water
Pic 3. XTP bullet diameter before expansion
Pic 4. XTP bullet diameter after expansion
Pic 5. Weight of XTP bullet out of the box

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
6th picture

This last picture shows the weight after expansion. I'd say that it didn't loose any measurable mass.

The bullet penetrated all 3 jugs of water, bounced off a thin layer of hardyboard and fell to the ground. The hardyboard was propped directly behind the water jugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
That looks like some decent expansion. The fact that it retained all the weight is another good thing.
Now if we can find out the FPS and the energy calculation behind it.

What type of firearm was it shot out of?
How long is the barrel?
How far from the jugs was the round shot?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I do not know the speed. I wish I did. If I had to guess based off the load data, I'd say probably between 950-1050 because it is on the low side of the charge and I'm assuming the data fps was from a 10 barrel. 1109fps is the Min Load predicted velocity with 6.2gr. I've loaded only an additional +.2

I marked off an exact 15 feet for the shot, and it was fired from a Taurus M66 .357 4' barrel.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Invest the $100 in a chrono. You have no idea if you are close to a squib or loss of fingers. a chrono doesn't tell pressure but can tell if your speeds are in the range they should be.

It will also show how consistent your loads are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts