Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news! Y'all probably know that I have been researching and searching for .380 pistols for at least the last month or so. I thought I was pretty well set on the MPA Protector II, but I decided to stop at my LGS and check out some other brands one last time. I looked at the Ruger LCP, and the Kel-Tec P3AT, and although they are nice pistols, I didn't like the LONG trigger pull -- especially on the Ruger.

Well, as I was just about to leave, I spotted a used Kel-Tec PF9 in the case. I had to do a double take and ask to look at it real quick because the price was pretty good. I have to admit that I have always thought about buying a PF9, but never got around to it. Well, as I looked at the pistol, it noted that it is in great condition, and was in the box w/ all accessories. I was pretty tempted.

Did I mention the price? My LGS wanted $180 for this PF9 in great shape with all the goodies! Now the cheapest .380 I looked at was around $240, so you can see the price savings here. In addition, although it is not as small as the micro .380s, I tried it in a front pocket holster and it works great.

So, I am thrilled to death with this buy, and will be picking it up in a day or so! I will post pics and such when I get a chance. BTW, any PF9 owners on the forum who want to give me their two cents on this pistol?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Must be something to do with PF9's "in the air today". Just picked one up four hours ago. My Taurus revolvers have been back and forth to Miami for a while so I needed a go to another carry gun. Private owner bought it for his wife but it was too snappy, about fifty rounds through it. KelTec verified it is a recent model. Got mine for $240 no tax, or FFL fees. Already got the gear for it had it from my previous one.

The newer ones continue to evolve and improve. Carries so well, feels nice and solid. Parts and accessories are relatively cheap and readily available. They are simple and straightforwards. Adjustable sites, decent trigger (P3AT trigger). Keep it clean likes to run medium wet in certain areas.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My PF9 cost $209.00, new. It is a bit "snappy" in recoil, but I don't mind. It is also a good bit larger than a P3AT, or a P32.

·
Administrator
35,272 Posts
Congrats on the PF9 ! I really like mine alot, currently it's riding in my car console under my right elbow. :D

Interesting what you say about the trigger pull - mine has a long, stiff pull very similar to my LCP. Maybe whoever owned yours shot it more than I've shot mine and broke it in some. Personally, I don't mind the long pull at all, as there is no safety and you really have to be trying to pull the trigger to make it fire.

Here's a pic of mine when it had the clip on it. It's not there anymore but the clip came with metal frame reinforcements to replace the plastic ones, so for me that alone was worth the money. ;)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I hear they don't like cheap 115gr ammo since it doesn't make enough energy to move the low mass slide with the heavy recoil spring. You need 125gr ammo or better to make the slide move right and make the gun reliable. I don't think of that as a knock on the gun though. That's just something you have to deal with in any compact light weight design where you try to shoe horn a major caliber in a small frame. FWIW, the brand new and very not cheap Kimber Solo has the same issue. I saw a PF9 with the gray frame and satin chrome slide and very nearly made it my own. Too gun poor lately though. Sigh.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Must be something to do with PF9's "in the air today". Just picked one up four hours ago. My Taurus revolvers have been back and forth to Miami for a while so I needed a go to another carry gun. Private owner bought it for his wife but it was too snappy, about fifty rounds through it. KelTec verified it is a recent model. Got mine for $240 no tax, or FFL fees. Already got the gear for it had it from my previous one.

The newer ones continue to evolve and improve. Carries so well, feels nice and solid. Parts and accessories are relatively cheap and readily available. They are simple and straightforwards. Adjustable sites, decent trigger (P3AT trigger). Keep it clean likes to run medium wet in certain areas.

That's great! We joined the Kel-Tec club at the same time! :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I hear they don't like cheap 115gr ammo since it doesn't make enough energy to move the low mass slide with the heavy recoil spring. You need 125gr ammo or better to make the slide move right and make the gun reliable. I don't think of that as a knock on the gun though. That's just something you have to deal with in any compact light weight design where you try to shoe horn a major caliber in a small frame. FWIW, the brand new and very not cheap Kimber Solo has the same issue. I saw a PF9 with the gray frame and satin chrome slide and very nearly made it my own. Too gun poor lately though. Sigh.
Hey Maxi that is sound advice. When I owned my previous PF9 I was horrible with it due to inexperience with smaller defensive CCW's. I was limp wisting the crap out of it causing FTE's and FTF's. I did have most of these issues with 115 grain ammo so that makes sense. My favorite 9mm bullet is the 147 grain, so I am going to stock up on 124gr and 147gr which is fine by me. This PF9 will be a stable mate to my Glock17 which consumes about anything (the Glock freaks me out, I installed the extractor plunger assembly backwards last time I cleaned it and shot 200 rounds without a FTE, gotta love it). Any-who I will take a smooth functioning PF9 over a G26 simply becuase the PF9 is so damn carry able. I serviced the PF9 last night. It being very new in contrast to my old one (2009) the quality of the manufacturing has really improved. I did not see any burrs on the slide rail the barrel feed ramp was smooth with no sharp edges and pitting like my old one. I am very pleased indeed. So now I have a Austrian 9mm and a Swedish designed one LOL. George Kelgren the owner of KelTec being a Swiss Engineer responsible for Husqvarna(Swedish brand), Intratec and Grrendel firearms.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've carried a pf9 via the belt clip for a while now and its so comfortable I forget I even have it on me sometimes. Shot 500 (unpleasurable) rounds through it so far without a single problem. I knew it was uncomfortable to shoot before I bought it, but it was purchased for carry and not to blast rounds down range all day. The pf9 was my 3rd keltec, comming in after the sub2k and the pmr30.
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the keltec club. Check out ktog forums for great keltec info.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I will photo my pf9 next to my p3at when I get home. I had no problem shooting 115gr out of my pf9. I did have a few FTF (I think they were Sellier & Bellot). I tried 3 mags each of S&B, Magtech, wwb fmj and I also shot 1 mag of 147 wwb jhp. The rounds fired the second time around. I did notice a few sharp edges on the trigger and guard that I had smoothed before firing but was not unpleasant to shoot. I did put a Houge Handall on it and will try that this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on the PF9 ! I really like mine alot, currently it's riding in my car console under my right elbow. :D

Interesting what you say about the trigger pull - mine has a long, stiff pull very similar to my LCP. Maybe whoever owned yours shot it more than I've shot mine and broke it in some. Personally, I don't mind the long pull at all, as there is no safety and you really have to be trying to pull the trigger to make it fire.

Here's a pic of mine when it had the clip on it. It's not there anymore but the clip came with metal frame reinforcements to replace the plastic ones, so for me that alone was worth the money. ;)
Yeah, I must be lucky. The trigger pull on my PF9 is nothing at all like the pull on the LCP (which I thought was very long). I would actually compare it to the trigger on my Ruger SR40. Whether because of the previous owner breaking it in or whatever, it's pretty decent.......

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Good news! Y'all probably know that I have been researching and searching for .380 pistols for at least the last month or so...Did I mention the price? My LGS wanted $180 for this PF9 in great shape with all the goodies!...So, I am thrilled to death with this buy...
Congratulations on a great deal. Best of luck & hope it's all you hoped for in a compact.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts