Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my LGS yesterday to pick up some ammo, and while I was there I spotted a Like New Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE in the case with a $199 price tag. As those of you who have been following my search for a Winter carry gun already know, one of the firearms that I was considering was a S&W SD40VE, which typically run for $330 brand new.
So without hesitation I asked to see the SW40 and proceeded to look it over. I worked the slide, the controls, tested out the trigger, (with permission, of course) and examined it. The trigger was surprisingly good considering that the Sigma series has a reputation for bad triggers, it felt like a decent Double Action trigger you would expect from a Revolver, long and someone stiff, but the pull was smooth with a crisp break. The SW40VE appeared to be in like new condition with no signs of significant wear and it came in a plastic clamshell case with one 10 round magazine. (Fortunately, magazines for the Sigma series are all interchangeable and inexpensive.)

I went home, did some research, and thought it over. Based on my findings, $199 was a fantastic price, as it usually goes for around $200-250 without a box, so I went back to the gunshop at noon and put it on layaway for 60 days with $60 down. Currently it's still too hot in my area to be carrying a full-size double-stack .40cal pistol and I didn't have enough on me to buy it outright anyway, so it made more sense just to put it on layaway.
For those who don't know, the SW40 is basically just a last generation SD40 with a slightly different slide/frame. The only real improvement made was the SD40 has a marginally better trigger than the SW40, everything else is superficial or otherwise aesthetic.

I didn't take any pictures as the gunshop because frankly it's a plain-looking gun, as you would expect from a budget-priced pistol such as it is. Seriously, Google Image it, you'll see a million SW40VEs which are all identical to each other with their bead-blasted Stainless Steel slides and plain black polymer frames.
If enough of you are interested then I'll snap a few pics of it after I pick it up in a month or two, though I doubt that anyone will be interested. Heck, this whole thread is probably pretty disinteresting in general, but I'm excited because I got a good deal on a variant of a pistol that I was considering getting for 1.5x the price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like you got a deal. I hope you enjoy it. I'm partial to 40 SW myself. I have a friend with an SD9VE and a family member with an SD40VE and both of them say they've never had any issues with them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,602 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

Reactions: Tuco_Ramírez

·
Super Moderator
36,036 Posts
Sounds like you got the right gun at the right price...and that is a WIN! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

The SDVE9 and SDVE40 are sound handguns .. Im a 40S&W fan .. The Federal 180gr HST is my carry ammo.
That's the exact load I plan on carrying. Months ago I watched a bunch of .40S&W ballistics gel tests on YouTube in my free time, and the Federal 180gr HST was always the most impressive to me.

·
Administrator
17,813 Posts
Congratulations on putting an S&W SW40VE on layaway and hope you get it paid off soon! :cool:

I think you're going to be very very happy with it! :smile:

I have the 9mm version of the same series of Pistol, known as the S&W SW9VE, and it currently serves in my Fall & Winter carry rotation.
I actually like the earlier SW Series Slide and Grip profiles a bit better than the current SD series, but I'm sure I could adapt to those, too!
So far, my SW9VE has proven to be accurate and very very reliable.

The only modifications I've done to my SW9VE so far have been a mild trigger job, removing the pig-tailed backlash spring, installing a Glock Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Front Sight, and a DPM Recoil Spring Assembly.
Have been toying around with the idea of having the Slide CeraKoted Black or Teal Blue and mounting an optic on it, but so far I've not had time to play with those notions.

S&W SW9VE with spare Magazine

Current Carry Rotation L-R
Taurus 9mm 24/7 Pro
Canik TP9V1
S&W SW9VE

I didn't take any pictures as the gunshop because frankly it's a plain-looking gun, as you would expect from a budget-priced pistol such as it is. Seriously, Google Image it, you'll see a million SW40VEs which are all identical to each other with their bead-blasted Stainless Steel slides and plain black polymer frames.
If enough of you are interested then I'll snap a few pics of it after I pick it up in a month or two, though I doubt that anyone will be interested. Heck, this whole thread is probably pretty disinteresting in general, but I'm excited because I got a good deal on a variant of a pistol that I was considering getting for 1.5x the price.
Quite frankly, I'm rather fond of the SW Series Pistols clean lines and look.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations on putting an S&W SW40VE on layaway and hope you get it paid off soon! :cool:

I think you're going to be very very happy with it! :smile:

I have the 9mm version of the same series of Pistol, known as the S&W SW9VE, and it currently serves in my Fall & Winter carry rotation.
I actually like the earlier SW Series Slide and Grip profiles a bit better than the current SD series, but I'm sure I could adapt to those, too!
So far, my SW9VE has proven to be accurate and very very reliable.

The only modifications I've done to my SW9VE so far have been a mild trigger job, removing the pig-tailed backlash spring, installing a Glock Hi-Viz Fiber Optic Front Sight, and a DPM Recoil Spring Assembly.
Have been toying around with the idea of having the Slide CeraKoted Black or Teal Blue and mounting an optic on it, but so far I've not had time to play with those notions.

S&W SW9VE with spare Magazine

Current Carry Rotation L-R
Taurus 9mm 24/7 Pro
Canik TP9V1
S&W SW9VE

Quite frankly, I'm rather fond of the SW Series Pistols clean lines and look.
Yep, that's identical to the one I just put on layaway.

Honestly, I prefer the look/feel of the SW40 to the SD40 as well, and find the firearm to be aesthetically pleasing as well, but most folks refer to them as being "plain" or even "ugly" so I didn't think it was worth the effort to snap any pics of it. Besides, the lighting inside the gunshop would have made getting a decent-looking shot challenging to say the least, so it would be better for me to wait until I have it paid off so that I could take pics at home.

Personally, I like the two-tone look of the SW/SD pistols, so I wouldn't Cerakote the slide, but I'm a sucker for stainless.

Reactions: MOONDAWG and jwc007

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I got the SW40VE about 20 years ago at a gun show. New in the box with a $50 mail in Rebate. Out the door $290.
It took six weeks but i got my rebate. $240 for blue case with gun, two mags, lock, plastic loader, cleaning brush...
The trigger is a long travel hard pull. You can't hit much if you're shooting fast. It's a good training tool for trigger pull. You really have to focus on not moving as you draw the long heavy trigger back until it breaks. It will make you a much better shooter with other guns. Tell the bad guy to hold still and not move while you take up on the trigger. S&W was sued by glock and lost. They had to pay S&W $5 for each VE they sold. I use it when i kayak fish. It will shoot underwater if a shark or gator wants to dance. Good gun to work with at the range for trigger break/control and anticipating recoil. It will hit where you point it but it points all over in that trigger. I don't like a striker fire with no safety that has a trigger job put on it.
No safety, Short travel, quick reset with 4lbs or less on a striker fire is not safe to carry. It would be like cocking the hammer on a revolver and putting in your pocket. What the term they use? Ohh glock leg.
I can carry the 40VE no problem. I can drive a standard transmission Ford Pinto. You have to becareful because both can burn you if you don't know about them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fortunately, my very first handgun had an absolutely horrendous trigger which weighed in at a staggering 17.5lbs, so I've actually gotten very good at hitting targets with long, heavy triggers by necessity, and thus I am confident in my ability to hit my mark consistently with the SW40VE.
Besides, like I said, I tested out the trigger at the shop and it honestly felt no different than your standard DA Revolver trigger.

Last but not least, I don't foresee any likely event in which I'm far enough away from an assailant that a long trigger would result in me pulling my shots completely off target.

Reactions: darbo and MOONDAWG

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
I dunt know myslf??
this is my Summer, Winter, Fall, Spring carry guns--they don't change as they do not defoliate in Fall so i see noe reason myself to change?
both of these are very accurate in my hands, reliable to a fault, and easy - peasy to carry as a Concealed weapon.
but to each their own.
the second target is a Sig 365 by the way, my lil pocket rocket!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Fortunately, my very first handgun had an absolutely horrendous trigger which weighed in at a staggering 17.5lbs, so I've actually gotten very good at hitting targets with long, heavy triggers by necessity, and thus I am confident in my ability to hit my mark consistently with the SW40VE.
Besides, like I said, I tested out the trigger at the shop and it honestly felt no different than your standard DA Revolver trigger.

Last but not least, I don't foresee any likely event in which I'm far enough away from an assailant that a long trigger would result in me pulling my shots completely off target.
Good to hear you know. Like i said, i still carry my 40VE from time to time. I just have to remind myself I'm carrying a gun with more limitations than I'm use to and slow my roll, pay more attention to safety.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I went to my LGS yesterday to pick up some ammo, and while I was there I spotted a Like New Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40VE in the case with a $199 price tag. As those of you who have been following my search for a Winter carry gun already know, one of the firearms that I was considering was a S&W SD40VE, which typically run for $330 brand new.
So without hesitation I asked to see the SW40 and proceeded to look it over. I worked the slide, the controls, tested out the trigger, (with permission, of course) and examined it. The trigger was surprisingly good considering that the Sigma series has a reputation for bad triggers, it felt like a decent Double Action trigger you would expect from a Revolver, long and someone stiff, but the pull was smooth with a crisp break. The SW40VE appeared to be in like new condition with no signs of significant wear and it came in a plastic clamshell case with one 10 round magazine. (Fortunately, magazines for the Sigma series are all interchangeable and inexpensive.)

I went home, did some research, and thought it over. Based on my findings, $199 was a fantastic price, as it usually goes for around $200-250 without a box, so I went back to the gunshop at noon and put it on layaway for 60 days with $60 down. Currently it's still too hot in my area to be carrying a full-size double-stack .40cal pistol and I didn't have enough on me to buy it outright anyway, so it made more sense just to put it on layaway.
For those who don't know, the SW40 is basically just a last generation SD40 with a slightly different slide/frame. The only real improvement made was the SD40 has a marginally better trigger than the SW40, everything else is superficial or otherwise aesthetic.

You did good! I had a SW40VE for about three years, and after around 1,200 or so rounds, I had yet to have had ANY malfunctions with it...I had bought it new about five years ago. You will like that gun.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on your pistol find!

I can't speak for everyone here ( most would prefer I don't ) but I can't imagine anyone not liking the idea that a fellow shooter found a good gun at a good price. There is always interest in newly acquired guns and pictures of them!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a neat little update.

I e-mailed Smith & Wesson about the release date of my SW40VE a couple days ago and they just got back to me. My SW40VE dates back to 4/14/2004. I knew that it had to be an earlier production run because it came with a plastic clamshell case whereas more recent production runs came in a cardboard box. Interestingly, 09/13/2004 is the date when the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 finally lapsed, which explains why mine came with only a reduced capacity 10 round magazine rather than a full capacity 14 round magazine.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, one of the things which initially attracted me to the Sigma series is just how relatively compact and lightweight they are yet high capacity. It should make for an excellent Winter Carry gun.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You made an excellent choice and a good buy. It's a good gun, just as-is. But if you feel the need to do any lightening of the trigger, first, detail-strip it and clean everything well, and add lube in small amounts in the necessary places. Polish sear-striker interface and the caming parts of the sear/sear block housing and dry-lube. This will serve to smooth and lighten the trigger-pull but will not affect warranty or reduce reliability.

No secret, I'm definitely a fan of the Sigma. I bought one in 9mm, back when they were (at my not-so-local gun shop) $255 with cupon for extra mag and cash rebate.. I liked it so much that the following week, I drove the 85 miles back there for two more in 9mm and one 40. I gave one (9mm) to my daughter-in-law for her EDC, and the other 9mm to my granddaughter. The 40 went to my son. It seemed that everybody liked Pop's gun when they shot it.

I have somewhere @ 8k rds through my first one, reloads and factory, with simply NO problem at all. My trigger is a smooth 7.5 lbs or so, and it's every bit as good as any D/A revolver I've ever shot.

I hope you enjoy it and have as much success with yours as I've had with mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts