Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an active participant on THE TRUTH ABOUT GUNS, an excellent resource covering all aspects of firearms, gun related politics, BATFE, firearms reviews, moral issues regarding firearms, commentary, and other firearms related topics.

The Truth About Guns | Exploring the ethics, morality, business, politics, culture, technology, practice, strategy, dangers and fun of guns

My review of the PT 640, several photos, and dozens of pro and con comments, is online at:
Gun Review: Taurus M640 Compact .40 | The Truth About Guns

Your comments, pro or con, are welcome here!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is the fit of the stock 640 mag

PT24/7 mag fit on the 640 Pro.

As you can see there is a gap at the back end. Eh...nothing to worry about. The magazine does hold into place. It's just tight from the extra plastic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is the Taurus paddle holster I got from CDNN for $17. Didnt take pics of the two mag holder but the mags fit just fine.

Here is the release lever.

Just showing the position of the lever with no gun.

This is the lever position when the pistol is pushed in "normal" strength. As you can see the lever doesn't completely lift up.

Give the pistol a good push and it's fully up. So either it needs some wear time or a little trim job on the catcher.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Great review and thanks for taking the arrows from the Taurus haters for us.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow some of those posters have serious reading comprehension issues. Just wanted to let you all know the two dot rear sight for the 24/7 fits perfectly on these. I changed mine yesterday with a drop of blue loc-tite on the threads. Also if looking for a holster, you want one for the PT145 NOT the PT140. Besides the frame of the 140 being slimmer, it lacks the accessory rail of the 145 and 640. The entire upper of the 140 and 640 are identical though besides markings of course.

I have a 140 also and can't tell if the frame pins are smaller in diameter than the 640. Does anyone know? Thanks - 3ABs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took my new PT640 out to the range today. Shot 80 rounds of Rem JHP no problems. My buddy took his PT145 along and they seem to be identical in size. only problem I had was getting slide to slide off to clean it.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Texas Deputy:

Thanks for sharing your concise and very well-written article on the PT640.

Reactions: ranvier

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I have last year's Black Friday special, the PT609 which is the same gun in 9mm. I came to the same conclusion about it's lineage. These are pretty much the overseas version of the Millennium series. For some reason they thought they needed a name to market these in the U.S.

I ordered a set of Williams Firesights but the front sight didn't work. It was way too loose and had a large gap between the bottom of the blade and the top of the slide. I thought maybe I got an out-of-spec blade, but I ended up selling the sights to another member (with a money back guarantee if he had the same problem) for his PT111 and they worked fine. Maybe they changed the way the dovetail is cut.

I seem to remember reading other posts on this board where they discussed magazine spacers Taurus makes so you could use the longer 24/7 magazines in the shorter gripped compact and the spacer that slides over the magazine fills in the gap.

Good review.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glenwolde;754050 I ordered a set of Williams Firesights but the front sight didn't work. It was way too loose and had a large gap between the bottom of the blade and the top of the slide. I thought maybe I got an out-of-spec blade said:
I think that I was the one who purchased your Firesights. They fit both my PT 145 and PT640 perfectly. Your set is on my PT145, the other new set I bought is on my PT640.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
That was a great video.

Installed the 70969 firesights on my 640 today. Front was easy, in/out no hammering or filing needed. Rear on the other hand, took a few hard taps to get the factory sight out. Took some filing and taps to get the new sight in. I shoot a lot better with the new sights.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That was a great video.

Installed the 70969 firesights on my 640 today. Front was easy, in/out no hammering or filing needed. Rear on the other hand, took a few hard taps to get the factory sight out. Took some filing and taps to get the new sight in. I shoot a lot better with the new sights.
Let me know if you ever go to the Golden Triangle Gun Club, on Erie Street, near Lamar. We can meet there and compare our handy work <smile>

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Academy has the M640 and the 24/7 on the web site on sale for $330. They'll probably show up in Sundays paper.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts