Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Raging Bull came in yesterday and I just got back (lunch break) from picking it up. Gonna be a looong work day. Got to give it a good cleaning as it is slathered with oil. Little disappointed on the "Raging Bull" engraving/etching on the barrel as it is not uniform but overall, I'm stoked. This thing is HUGE. Got a Weig-a-tinny "no drill rail" to mount on it for a red dot sight. I also got a bandolier holster but I'm pretty sure it's going to be too small. I'll still be able to use it with my 66. I'll post pics in the "Show Us Your Revolver" thread as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
Congratulations. What caliber did you get? My LGS has a new one for sale in .44 magnum for $660. Nice looking and feeling revolver. Looking forward to your pics and range report.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
New Revolver Day! Congrats!
Photos and a range report...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the 44 mag. Always wanted a 44. I posted these in the other thread too. I really like the Weigand mount. I do think I'm going to go with a reflex type sight instead of the "barrel" type though.

Gonna be a while until the range report since it's my backyard and I'd rather not have an angry deer hunter on my hands. Feb 10th is the last day for deer season. I should have it nice and broken in with my Snap Caps by then though.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
My Raging Bull came in yesterday and I just got back (lunch break) from picking it up. Gonna be a looong work day. Got to give it a good cleaning as it is slathered with oil. Little disappointed on the "Raging Bull" engraving/etching on the barrel as it is not uniform but overall, I'm stoked. This thing is HUGE. Got a Weig-a-tinny "no drill rail" to mount on it for a red dot sight. I also got a bandolier holster but I'm pretty sure it's going to be too small. I'll still be able to use it with my 66. I'll post pics in the "Show Us Your Revolver" thread as soon as I can.
There is a small company in Wisconsin that makes bandolier holsters. I had them make one for my .454 Raging Bull 6 1/2" barrel. It also carries an extra 5 rounds. I think the cost was around $125...:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a place here in Alabama that makes the nylon holsters for an 8" Bull with a scope. $40 shipped! Looks an awful lot like a Bulldog holster though and those are manufactured in China.

·
Super Moderator
37,975 Posts
Sweet hand howitzer! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Congrats! that's one of my bucket list guns.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, definitely a bucket list gun. My 66 tide me over for a few years. I can't wait to shoot it. I dry fired it all night. Wife said I couldn't bring it to bed with me though. Lol!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congratulations. The raging series are phenomenal revolvers. If you haven't shot one yet, you'll be pleasantly surprised on how controllable and accurate they are. The Raging Bull 44 I own is a tack driver.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just curious - I hear y'all mentioning revolver accuracy. However, I'd like to have your comments on the following:

1. On these Taurus models, how many pounds are you guys finding the SA trigger break to be?, and

2. Are you finding any trigger pre-travel or creep, or is it a clean break with no pre-travel or creep?

Bayou52

·
Registered
47 Posts
While sometimes overlooked in reviews, the stock SA trigger pull is short, crisp, and predictable which ultimately allows for a learning curve that is little to almost none. Additionally the platform utilizes porting, a weighted barrel, and recoil absorbing grips (wish Taurus would aftermarket those bull grips for other revolvers) which all help to add up to a deadly accurate shot.

Not sure what the SA or DA pull weights are. It is less than any of my Ruger Super Redhawks.

(edited post: accidentally put DA instead of SA. My bad. Sorry)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have an lb number but the single action is about as good as it gets. Spot on. The DA, however, is quite heavy. It's smooth but I have trouble pulling the trigger in DA with the pad of my finger. I pretty much have to get it in the crook of the first joint which can cause you to pull right. Maybe I just need to do finger curls...

·
Registered
70 Posts
The reason I was asking about the trigger pull poundage on this model is for comparison to my one and only Taurus revolver - a 1999 vintage model 970 in 22. My Taurus breaks crisply - no creep or pre-travel.

But the SA break on my Taurus is @ 5.5 pounds. This is stiff for target shooting - hard for me to consistently hold on target after the first batch of rounds.

I've searched for a lighter spring set but none seem to be available....

So, I was wondering if newer models have lighter SA trigger breaks.

Thanks, Guys -

Bayou52

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the reviews I've come across have the SA just shy of 5lbs, around 4lbs, 14oz.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts