Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly new Taurus PT 92 AFS Stainless model and it started jamming on my the last time I was at the range. I bought this gun for the reliability so this is very concerning to me. I've shot about 400-500 rounds through it before this last trip (a couple boxes of Federal, Winchester white box, and even a little Tulammo)

I shot about 125 rounds of the Winchester White Box this round. I had a 2-3 jams out of the first 100, but it was where the bullet going in and out met and got stuck. I could drop the mag and cycle it and fix the problem easy...

But right before I called it quits, I had a nasty jam! It jammed with a live round chambered about 90% and the slide back about 1/2 inch. I couldn't move anything on the gun or get it unstuck for a long time and I thought I was going to have to pack it up loaded and take it to a gun smith (didn't want to do that). Finally, somehow I got it unstuck and fired off the round.

I started looking at the brass on the ground and noticed some of it was chipped in a certain way. (The one that finally came out was mangled looking) I didn't know if it was the gun or the ammo that was the problem, but it kind of freaked me out and I wanted to figure it out before I took out again. When I got home I notice a chip/dint in the ramp up to the barrel and didn't know if that was causing the problem (or if it was anything to worry about at all) or whether it was just crappy brass.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about and a couple of the brass I recovered (wished I had the one that jammed).
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,181 Posts
JMHO but is that rough spot catching the edge of the brass, or is the edge of the brass catching just below on the edge and the rough spot has been pushed up by the brass? just a wag.

·
8,822 Posts
Winchester white box is bulk ammo and is usually ok. But from the picture you do have problems with both the feed ramp in the frame and the bevel ramp in your barrel. Two choices send it home to Miami - or do some light grinding ( do you have a dremel? ) followed by oil soaked sanding ( I use 2000 grit sand paper ) , on the frame ramp , then once the damage is removed - follow up with cleaning and polishing both the frame feed ramp and the barrel bevel. I use Mothers mag wheel polish. The key is to take your time , and keep an eye on how much metal you are taking off. Be careful especially grinding and sanding - do just a bit at a time.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
In this case I would suggest sending it back, along with the attached pictures. Is that brass rub around the barrel or a reflection of the yellow from the magazine?

IMG_1132.JPG

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
That little deal on the feed ramp is a no-no.

I can't make out what's going on in the barrel, I might be inclined to send it to Taurus.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
24,806 Posts
That little deal on the feed ramp is a no-no.

I can't make out what's going on in the barrel, I might be inclined to send it to Taurus.
Yeah, what he said.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
If it were me, as much as I would not like it I would call Taurus and get a return authorization and make use of that Lifetime warranty. Yes you may be able to do a little metal removal, the buff and polish the ramp and maybe even in the process loose your lifetime warranty due to owner modification to the pistol.

Sometimes the best hands on approach it to keep your hands off.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I'm going to jump on the call CS bandwagon. You don't say exactly how old the gun is but if they don't offer to pay shipping I would push fairly hard to make sure they do pay the shipping.
The 92 is good gun. Let Taurus make it right.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I also agree, you start making changes and might make it worse, let Taurus deal with it send it in with some of the brass, they will make it right. you might have to wait awhile till you get it back , but that is better then messing it up completely. might just change it out for a new one, the problem could even be in the barrel. if it was me she be taking a road trip

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just picked up a new PT92 yesterday but have not cleaned or shot yet. I will definitely check mine out. I also agree, send it back to Taurus as it is not safe or reliable.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
You mentioned that it is FAIRLY NEW. Does that mean that you bought it used?

Welcome to TA from Jacksonville, FL.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Send that puppy home to get fixed.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Call Taurus CS and have it shipped back, if they ask about ammunition used I would avoid mentioning the TulAmmo since some have said it voided their warranty and they had to pay $35 to reinstate it. I would simply say all factory fresh ammo, no reloads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I decided to send it back to Taurus. They also said since it's been less than a year since purchase they will address a few finish problems also - so bonus.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out and what the problem ended up being.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Just a thought. The damage on the feed ramp may have been caused by a feeding issue. I'd check your mags over thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
He's probably figured it out over the last six years.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Super Moderator
37,017 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.