Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys you might remember my first topic about having a bad FTFeed problem with the 1911 on my first range trip. It wasn't bad as in frequent but bad as in it took me a couple days to remedy the problem. Ok on with the update...I went to the range last weekend and again today. I have put about 500 rounds through the pistol now and let me say this thing is a beast. I haven't had a single problem since the first day I took it out. I have avoided wolf since then but it digested Blazer brass and WWB perfectly. I am now very fond of this gun and it has removed any doubt I had about the quality and accuracy of Taurus. The silhouettes didn't stand a chance from the 25 yard chickens and 50 yard hogs to the elusive 75 yard turkeys. Ok maybe the turkeys had a chance ;). Now I know I have a place in my home for few more Taurus guns.

·
32,651 Posts
Glad to see things worked out well. Nice to have another " true believer". ;D Half joking and half serious about that. I like happy ending stories and this one don't get no better than this one. :D Breaking in new guns alway has a few foibles thrown in.One has to overcome them and you did just that.

·
32,651 Posts
SilverBear and BrownBear Russian ammo is steel cased. They do however coat the cases with either brass or nickel. Never had a malfunction with the 115grain JHP or the 145gr. JHPs. The heavier weight bullet seems to have been discontinued in the SilverBear brand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wolf ammo has always been a problem with 1911's. A friend at work uses wolf ammo and his 1911's jam alot with the stuff. When he switches to the stuff I use, his pistols shoot like glass.

Steel casing dont function the same way as brass cases do. When the powder burns the brass case expands momentarily and creates a very tight seal, so you get maximum pressure in the barrel, and the slide cycles flawlessly. The steal casings dont expand during the burn process, so there is a loss of pressure which defeats the proper function of the 1911.

1911's have always been sensitive to good quality ammo.

I have a PT1911 and have put 1000 rounds through it and have not had a single failure.

For some interesting reading about wolf in other weapons: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Then I guess I got lucky with mine. My Kimber runs just fine with Wolf steel case. Even with a heavier than normal recoil spring (20 or 22 lbs, I forget right now) as I occasionally run 45 Super in it.

Steelheart

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My brother has a kimber and he's been feeding it a lot of wolf and some higher quality ammos without any problems. They are(for the most part) nice pistols, but I can't wait to see his face next time he's in town and my pt1911 is shooting every bit as well as his kimber for about 350-400 dollars less. ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts