Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I sure liked the feel of this thing when I bought it about a month ago, and really liked how well it shot, when it shoots. Unfortunatley, it's about as reliable as a Fiat. I keep getting failure to feeds, where the nose of the bullet hangs up on the feed ramp, which surprises me since the ramp seems plenty long, and well polished. This is with WWB FMJ 230 gr. ammo. It seems like if I press the mag upwards while shooting it feeds well. Thats a pretty awkward grip for me though. I only shot 20 defense rounds through it, without a failure I might add, but would think ball ammo ought to feed the easiest.

The next thing that started happening was the slide slams shut when I slap a mag in. I'm not pounding it in there, just popping it in with authority.

I had bought this thing to be a carry gun, but in 50 rounds I can count on it jamming more than my S&W has in it's life (actually I don't recall it ever jamming).

From all I read on here it sounds pretty common that everyone loves the way these pistols feel and the features they have, but many end up having problems. That's a shame because it seems like Taurus has a nice idea, but the failures are just way over what I've seen from other makes. I'll probably end up buying another gun to replace this one, then send it in to let Taurus have a go at repairing it, and sell it. I do wish I had seen this site before I bought it though ;).

Hopefully Taurus can get their act together on making a dependable Millenium , gen 7 maybe? When they do, they'll be tough to beat.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Sounds like a mag problem, or mag catch to me! Have you noticed if it both mags, or just one! I had a mag that had a break in the back side of it and did put a couple into the ramp. It was replaced and never have I had a problem since.

·
Administrator
35,758 Posts
Did you clean your gun before going to the range with it? I know this sounds crazy, but I didn't clean my 24/7 Pro before taking it to the range, and it was doing the same thing - submarining rounds, stovepipes, FTF, FTL, you name it. I posted the problem on this forum and apparently Taurus uses a LOT of shipping grease on the guns, and you should clean the gun to get this out of it. Once I cleaned it and took it back to the range, it was flawless. I'd at least try this and see what happens.

By the way - apparently, the slide will release automatically if 'slapped' or 'slammed' into the mag well. If you put it in more gently, it shouldn't release it. The general consensus I get on this forum is that it is supposed to work this way, and most people here like it because it shaves a second or two off of reloading.

Welcome to the forum !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I cleaned the gun thoroughly before shooting, and after each shoot. I didn't clean inside the mags though. I just did that but haven't fired since. They did seem a little sticky inside before, so maybe that will help. It would be great to get some confidence back since I really like the gun other than the reliability. The other side of it though is I never had to screw around with my other guns. This is my first Taurus, and was going to get an XD, but the feel and then price steered me to the Taurus.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had a PT 745 I had to send back because of mag problems. They made an adjustment with the mag release assembly and everything was fine after that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too liked the feel, price and the reviews I read about the PT145. Until we started having feed problems. I tried all the cleaning tips for the gun and magazines. Inspected it thoroughly all to no solution. Taurus sent new mags and the problem is still there. Sent the pistols (sadly I bought 2, one for me and the wife) back to Taurus about a week ago. We'll see! I'll give Taurus one chance to fix and then they are outta here!

I also considered the XD Compact. Wish I would have now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Pt-145 pro had FTF with most JHPs and some ball. I sanded the Mag lips and did very light tweeking with needle nose plyers and it began to feed good after that. I get best results with Remmington UMC JHP
for defense rnds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a little update, I used the PT145 for my CCW qualifier, and it did well with no jams, I had my smith for backup, but didn't have to use it. Then I went to the range and shot about 50 rounds with it with no jams either. I'm thinking that maybe cleaning the mags out helped, but time will tell because I really haven't shot a lot to build confidence in the feed. One thing I notice is this little short barrel really seems to make the rounds run dirty, as in not enough time to burn the powder. I was also shooting the XD Tactical (5" barrel) and was amazed at how much cleaner the XD was even though I shot probably 3x more rounds through it.

One thing that I can't get over is how accurate this little tiny pistol is though, at 7 yards it'll knock the black out of a target.

·
Registered
230 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Did you clean your gun before going to the range with it? I know this sounds crazy, but I didn't clean my 24/7 Pro before taking it to the range, and it was doing the same thing - submarining rounds, stovepipes, FTF, FTL, you name it. I posted the problem on this forum and apparently Taurus uses a LOT of shipping grease on the guns, and you should clean the gun to get this out of it.
seconded. My 24/7 Pro .45 was literally dripping with the stuff, inside and out.

some carb cleaner followed by Break Free and a thorough wipedown solved that problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I loved (past tense) my 145 until the last 3 range shoots. Same ammo I've always used, WWB 230gr (FMJ and JHP) which used to feed perfect the first 300rds or so. Now I have one mag that consistently FTFs and one that does so about 30%. Yes I clean/lube the gun after every visit, same with the mags monthly. And no, I'm not shipping it off to Taurus for work with the hope it can be fixed and maybe have to do so again later. Seen too many others here and elsewhere with similar problems....I'm get'n an XD. :'(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The XD is a nice piece. I really like them. They should be having one available with a thumb safety soon. I like the feel of the Taurus better, but the reliability is a deal breaker for me. 3 of my friends have XD's, and I have never seen one of them fail to feed.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
XD has a new model coming out go to there web site its awsome, sorry I'm also an XD fan to along with my wonderfull Taurus guns.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Now, if one mag gives an increasing number of FTF and other problems, why don't you check the mag to see if you can discover what's wrong with the Magazine? There may be build-up in the mag body, or a weak spring, or a bent slide-catch tab.

The problem seems to be magazine related, not in the actual gun. Small pistols, chambered in large calibers, are famous for finicky feeding. The magazines are usually to blame, as the designs are shrunken full-size, and the speed of the slide makes their ability to feed correctly of real importance.

In this case, I'd try a stronger spring by a couple of pounds. I'd also be looking at the feed lips to see if the metal was worn excessively for the number of rounds through it. As several have mentioned dirty guns due to the barrel length, I'd be cleaning the extractor groove, and firing pin channel, as well. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts