Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my PT145 it worked like a champ. Then after about 300-400 rounds I started getting failures to feed (way too many to be a reliable carry gun.) The spent casing would eject, but the new round would nose dive onto the feed ramp. So, I sent the gun back to Taurus (costing about $45) and they sent it back with paperwork saying they replaced the barrel and feed ramp (aren’t they one unit?) I also had shipped the mags; while the paperwork didn't say it, it appears they replaced them too since the mags that came back w/ the gun didn't have markings I had placed on them before.

So, I take it to the range to try it out after getting it back from Taurus. I notice I am now getting multiple light strikes! Pulling the trigger another time or two does not fire the round. When I eject the rounds the primer only has a light indentation, much less than required to fire the round. So, off to Taurus again at the same cost to ship it (about $45.)

So, I get the gun back with paperwork that says the slide has been replaced. However, now I have TWO SERIAL NUMBERS! Yes, the number on the slide does not match the one on the frame. I call Taurus to complain and the CSR says that the number on the slide is a “part” number…BS! I have a CCW and I am not real comfortable with carrying a gun that has two SN’s (I am in CA and you must list the gun and the SN on your permit.) Additionally, I have had at least one light strike after firing a few dozen rounds….still unacceptable for a carry gun as far as I am concerned.

Any suggestions? I am going to the range again tomorrow and see if I have any light strikes. What do you guys think I should do about the two serial numbers? It doesn’t seem that hard to me that Taurus couldn’t provide a slide with a matching SN, or even a slide w/out a SN.

I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know what Taurus could have done about the serial numbers aside from grinding the one off the slide. You could press Taurus on the issue, but I really don't know how they could get a slide to you with the same serial numbers as your barrel and frame.

You could go to the authority that issued your CCW and explain to them what happened and they would likely print you out a new document showing both serial numbers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the SS issue is really only part of it. I got one light stike in a few dozen rounds AFTER it had returned from the factory for the same issue. I am gonna have to fire at least a couple of hundred more before I am comfortable with carrying it.

It's not rocket science to make a part or even a gun w/ a certain SS. I know of someone with a S&W who had multiple issues with a gun. Smith just gave him a new gun with the same SS.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would think that different serial numbers may also de-value the gun. I think I would press that issue with Taurus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would tell taurus it's there turn too cover the shipping back since you have already spent $90 shipping it twice. I would also tell them to either fix right this time or send a new gun because this your carry gun. Taurus autos are a bargain but if you have to send the gun back once or twice the bargain goes away real quick. Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the devaluing of the gun...try selling one w/ two SN's...try explaining that!

Well, I had it at the range yesterday...more FT' feeds and light strikes. Yes, I'm gonna ask them to cover the shipping this time (the THIRD time!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was somewhat concerned with the ftf issue when I bought my 24/7 40 but I guess I was lucky as I have put about 2000 rounds through it with 2 or 3 ftf which is acceptable to me. On the other hand my 32 auto berreta model 70 has never had an issue and I have had it more than 25 years. Sorry about the problems you are having. Nothing ruins a new purchase more than what you have described. I hope they get it fixed right for you or replace it. At this point it is more than reasonable for them to eat the shipping. Good luck,
Harry

·
Registered
132 Posts
that is a funny experience with the different serial numbers. I think they have them all pre-printed so there is no way for them to get one without a number or for them to take off a number and match yours........I say you create some real problems to the entire gun and send it back in for a BRAND NEW one with all matching numbers :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's funny. There was a fellow not too long ago with a Stainless PT-145(actually his wife was firing it, and boy was she smokin') coming up with light strikes constantly. The range master was pro-taurus and rambled on and on how taurus' warranty was lifetime and they'd replace it if they couldn't fix it.

I'm obviously not living under a rock and have seen quite a few 145's with either mag drop issues, light strikes or other issues.

Warranty? The best one is the one that you never use!

I feel for you though. My 145 has been in their hands longer than mine. I'm wondering if I can get a full day out of it at the range with out any failures. In my case, mag drops and auto racks of the slide when inserting the mag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts