Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially for the newbie or inexperienced!
the Beretta PICO.
Finally go to handle and shoot one, not that I was staying awake at nights in anticipation!
it was there, i was there, there was ammo, there was a target, soooo!
the gun for me is basically a non starter, very poor ergonomics, terrible grip size and angle, DAO with the long trigger (it Is a true double action) if it misfires you can simply pull the trigger again.
nothing about the gun works for me, and its ugly!
although I can live with ugly guns. the backstrap is so small and thin its like shooting a yardstick and holding it sideways, just eats into the hand, bringing the gun up from the side it routinely points about 6 inches plus low at 5 yards for me, even when bringing the weapon up slowly I have the need to hunt for the front sight
accuracy was the pits, I would imagine due to all the problems that I had with the weapon.
anyway, don' know if any one has shot one or not?
and if you own one perhaps your feedback is different, feel free to chime in If thats the case.

Reactions: Panda and jonboy

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I've been interested in seeing one and fondling one, but haven't been fortunate enough to come across one. I can't say I've heard much about the gun, but yours is the first negative review I've read. Though looking at it I can see how your review would lean that way. Although, I don't really find it ugly.

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Not the prettiest thing in the case either, is it ?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
OK, being slightly an "oppositionist" by nature I have to say that I have very rarely seen a gun that wasn't "right" for somebody, somewhere, probably, although I might not have been able to find that person. I can only speak to what either wasn't right for me or should be approached by others with caution. I will give an example of two, in the same caliber, from my own collection, one new and one older and out of production.

The Sig 224 may be a "hot" pistol in some folks worlds but I wouldn't suggest it for anybody who isn't thoroughly experienced. The short grip makes it hard to get all fingers on the gun, and in .40 S&W that can lead to it being a handful and can lead to problems. Even if one puts an extended mag in it a firm grip and good resistance is needed to assure feeding in such an abbreviated model. Accurate as heck but not for everyone.

The Star Firestar in .40 is slightly smaller in profile and much thinner due to its single stack mag but much more comfortable to shoot due to its weight and a grip you can et all fingers on, and, around. Being a single action it only has one trigger pull to master and no "second strike capability. Being a single action it too might not be the right gun for someone not comfortable with cocked and locked.

To relate all of this to the initial question of the OP,

I think there are more guns that are "over-hyped" and .....I guess the closest I can come is "Misapplied", than there are really bad guns being made today. Take that Sig for instance. Because it is small and compact does not mean it is "the perfect gun for a "little lady" who might be intimidated by a larger frame" . A first encounter with an action type in a gun mismatched to the shooter has caused many to discard the whole design for the wrong reasons.

OK so the Beretta isn't a Taurus, it is still some mother's son and pride and joy. Someone out there is bound to love it.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
That reads a lot like the worst gun I ever bought ... the AMT Back-up, s/a, in .380. I've still got it but it is so far back in the safe that it might take a week to dig out.

As MickeyB said, it was one of those "shoot seldom, carry often" pistols. It really only shot one type and brand of ammunition reliably and you sure as heck didn't want to shoot more than 50 rounds in a session or you'd be on your way to the emergency department. It was just a nasty gun to shoot. Of course, in an "incident" you would only be shooting 6 anyway and I'm sure that the adrenalin would kick in. No, it's found it's home and won't be seeing daylight anytime soon. Can't bring myself to get rid of it though.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
That reads a lot like the worst gun I ever bought ... the AMT Back-up, s/a, in .380. I've still got it but it is so far back in the safe that it might take a week to dig out.

As MickeyB said, it was one of those "shoot seldom, carry often" pistols. It really only shot one type and brand of ammunition reliably and you sure as heck didn't want to shoot more than 50 rounds in a session or you'd be on your way to the emergency department. It was just a nasty gun to shoot. Of course, in an "incident" you would only be shooting 6 anyway and I'm sure that the adrenalin would kick in. No, it's found it's home and won't be seeing daylight anytime soon. Can't bring myself to get rid of it though.
LOL, I had one of those AMT Backups in .380 Auto and if you don't hold it just right, it will slice open the web of your hand quickly and deeply. My daughter had it for a long time and she was actually a pretty good shot with it. She liked to let boy friends try to show her how to shoot it. After it cut them pretty good she would light up a few targets with it. Pretty humbling when you get cut up and the pretty little girl out shoots you to boot.

I would not let it sit in the back of my safe. I took mine to trade in on another pistol and they gave me a couple hundred dollars more for that Backup than I paid for it. I could have bought a pair of 738's for what they gave me for that Backup. No use keeping a bad pistol when you can make a profit off it.

Reactions: jonboy

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
LOL, I had one of those AMT Backups in .380 Auto and if you don't hold it just right, it will slice open the web of your hand quickly and deeply. My daughter had it for a long time and she was actually a pretty good shot with it. She liked to let boy friends try to show her how to shoot it. After it cut them pretty good she would light up a few targets with it. Pretty humbling when you get cut up and the pretty little girl out shoots you to boot.

I would not let it sit in the back of my safe. I took mine to trade in on another pistol and they gave me a couple hundred dollars more for that Backup than I paid for it. I could have bought a pair of 738's for what they gave me for that Backup. No use keeping a bad pistol when you can make a profit off it.
This REALLY tickles me. How many here, that remember that gun remember the COP, the 4barreled .357 ? I had a buddy who bought BOTH of those guns in the search for a "perfect" back up gun. It was close to being outright funny. I suppose the fact that he ended up with S&W J frame like everyone else, added to it.

Reactions: drummin_man627

·
Administrator
35,172 Posts
Daaannnggg, that pistol has a face only a mother could love. :D An ugly gun should have some redeeming values, too bad it sounds like this one doesn't. But, at least it doesn't shoot rubber bullets. ;)

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don't think the Pico is unattractive, but my right hand hurts just looking at the thing. The grip looks like it has way too little contact area for your hand to grab onto and still maintain control. I think I'll pass.

·
22,058 Posts
From my first look at the Pico, I said "not enough grip." I also said that it's odd how tall the slide and the dust cover area are. I'd say the TCP shows that that height can be put to better use give you a bit more grip height.

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
4,776 Posts

I think the AMT 38 Backup was my first gun purchase.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I try to avoid calling any gun, "ugly," but this one sure isn't pretty.

It does look a little unbalanced, though. As if the intent was to make the grip as small as possible (concealment, appeal to folks with smaller hands?), while increasing the upper frame/slide to soak up some recoil.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
From Beretta site (it comes with 2 mags...1 is an extended mag which might help out). The Nano, a 9MM is more my cup of tea.
I might add that the company site makes this little gun a more attractive appeal than does this thread.

Barrel length (mm)70
Barrel length (in)2,7
Caliber9 short (380 auto)
Grip Width18
Overall height (mm)100
Overall height (in)4
Overall length (mm)130
Overall length (in)5.1
Overall width (mm)18
Overall width (in)0.725
Sight radius (in)3.3
Sight radius (mm)84