Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 1 week ago I purchased a PT1911ss that was used from my LGS. My boss on the same day purchased his Kimber from a separate LGS. Yesterday we took our new weapons to the range for our first firings. My boss is an accomplished shooter and has several 1911 models in his collection. I am also an accomplished shooter not only in the civilian world but also prior military. We drove 45 minutes with 1200 rounds to be able to shoot indoors.

We set 2 silhouette paper targets at 25 to start. My Taurus was slightly left of POI by about 1/2" at 25. The Kimber however was way left and very low. We traded weapons after 16 rounds and the results were same. He was pretty much on target with my Taurus and I was very low and left with the new Kimber. I paid < $500 and he paid > $1000. Needless to say he was a little upset. After 1200 rounds and targets set from 5 to 60 we decided that the Kimber was in need of a little work, 1st getting those sights right. I made a minor adjustment to my Taurus right in the range and was then dead on easily eating away the mid-mass bullseye on a typical FBI target at 25.

At the end of the day the Taurus had no problems other than the slight left off target which was corrected and ate any and all ammo fed to it. The Kimber had a few misfeeds but no FTF or FTE. We chalked those issues up to the weapon needing to be broken in, the very low and very left POI however is not a problem I would expect to come from a Weapon I just paid over $1000 for.

The PT1911 and the Custom TLE II are almost identical to each other and feel exactly the same. My Hogue wrap around grips made the Taurus feel slightly more comfortable in my hand, but the Kimbers Stock grips were good. All in All at the end of the day we killed a lot of paper enemies and I for one would not want to be on the business end of either of these weapons.

1 note...I was able to speak with the previous owner of my Taurus and there had been no work done to the weapon aside from normal maintenance and cleaning. The stock grips had never been removed and the weapon had less than 1000 rounds fired through it. I am extremely pleased with the Taurus and am more than excited to get back to the range against that Kimber once my boss makes his sight adjustments and gets the gun broken in properly.

I will post an update when it happens hopefully along with some pictures.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
A Taurus shot better then a Kimber. Imagine that!!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Not hard for me to imagine a PT1911 SS outperforming a Kimber; I have observed this several times at the range (and not just Kimber). The Taurus PT1911 is a fine handgun and on a performance/price comparison IMHO a better value than any other 1911.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not hard for me to imagine a PT1911 SS outperforming a Kimber; I have observed this several times at the range (and not just Kimber). The Taurus PT1911 is a fine handgun and on a performance/price comparison IMHO a better value than any other 1911.
It's funny when people see that you have a Taurus and they just think 'eh it's just a Taurus'. Happened about a month ago. Guy at the range came over to see what I had. Said it was a Taurus and his response was 'I just bought 3 Kimbers'. I replied back 'cool cool, 1911s are awesome guns'. I could have told him ya could have bought 6 guns instead of 3... but just kept on plinking away at my steel targets.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I had almost a identical experience with my PT1911 against one of my friends and his Colt and another friend with his Kimber. We are all good shots and often shoot together. The Taurus out shot both guns by all of us and they were impressed and a little ticked off. They had bought into the Taurus is trash BS. And now believe in some of their models but are still not totally convinced. They still hesitate at shooting challenges but the targets don't lie. Congrats on your new 1911. :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome and congrats on your pt1911. So what did your boss think of the PT1911?
He was impressed to say the least. I was looking at this gun on Buds website new but after transfer fees and what not I got a much better deal going with the used. Like I said.other than the accuracy/sight issues the weapons shot almost exactly the same.

I had almost a identical experience with my PT1911 against one of my friends and his Colt and another friend with his Kimber. We are all good shots and often shoot together. The Taurus out shot both guns by all of us and they were impressed and a little ticked off. They had bought into the Taurus is trash BS. And now believe in some of their models but are still not totally convinced. They still hesitate at shooting challenges but the targets don't lie. Congrats on your new 1911. :)
You are correct sir, the hole or ping at the target really doesn't lie.

Thanks for the warm welcome here also. Really nice to be able to talk about a Taurus without hearing all the negative from people who probably have never even owned or even shot a Taurus.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Welcome aboard, sounds like you got a great deal on a great 1911

I have been really impressed with my PT1911, the barrel was poorly fitted at the factory but it still shot 100% and was pretty accurate. I would have sent it back to Taurus but I bought it as a project gun so I figured it would give me chance to try my hand at fitting a barrel. After getting it to lock up good and installing a new bushing it brought my POA/POI together but didn't really affect accuracy. Not surprising as accuracy in a 1911 can usually be traced to barrel quality and that it locks up the same each time. I have done some testing with ammo and found it is most accurate with 230gr Speed Gold dot and capable of 2.5"-3" groups at 25yards. I consider that very good and way above what is required in a defensive pistol.

I also own a Kimber Tactical Custom II, from bench testing it is a little more accurate that my PT but not much and would make no difference in a defense situation. Other than Night Sights and a little better fit/finish the only advantage my Kimber had over my PT was trigger pull. While my PT was crisp enough for defense it was pretty heavy at 7.5# and compared to my Kimbers 4.5# it hurt my ability to shoot it as accurately. Of course it didn't take much work to get it down to 4.5-5# and most owners report a lighter trigger than mine had.

I have owned quite a few 1911s and sometimes accuracy is a crap shoot. While you can almost guarantee a Les Baer, Wilson, Ed Brown or other true custom will shoot great groups I have found money does not always help with production 1911s. One of the best shooting 1911s I ever owned was a Llama, I bought it for $100 because the sear was broke and it had the ugliest grips I had ever seen. I replaced the sear with a cheap used one, bought at a gun show and it turned out to be a tack driver. I sold it to a good friend and it still shoots great but it is still ugly!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Shot a Nighthawk custom. Had fun. Blew out center of target.

Shot a S&W 4566. Had Fun. Blew out center of target.

Shot a RIA 1911. Had Gun. Had Fun. Blew out center of target.

I do surely like my .45's,but I need no Kimber to hit my target.

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
515 Posts
A Taurus shot better then a Kimber. Imagine that!!
As a PT 1911 owner & a Kimber 1911 owner, I can say I like them both! But I didn't read anything that would indicate the Taurus shot better as I would equate that to group size accuracy or stoppages.

My 9MM PT 1911 shoots low, but I wouldn't say my Kimber Stainless out shoots it - it just seems to have better regulated sights.

Not say that the Taurus isn't more accurate - it could shoot tighter groups - but I didn't read anything like that in the post.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A big Mississippi welcome to you!

Congratulations on your acquisition of the stellar PT1911. ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Hello and welcome, and congrats on your new leadslinger and your day at the range.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Welcome aboard, sounds like you got a great deal on a great 1911

the only advantage my Kimber had over my PT was trigger pull. While my PT was crisp enough for defense it was pretty heavy at 7.5# and compared to my Kimbers 4.5# it hurt my ability to shoot it as accurately.
Wow! sounds like you need some trigger work on your PT - both of my PT1911's had trigger pulls less than four pounds right out of the box.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, almost forgot. Neither gun " outshot" the other. We attribute the 2 misfeeds to the Kimber not being broken in. The concern was with a thousand dollar gun not being even close to the POA. The BG would be very dead looking down the business end of either weapon. As far as trigger goes they were so very similiar that I wont change it on my Taurus. I was told that no work had been done to the Taurus but thats really just taking someones word. The trigger is so smooth and light I dont see any need to mess with it. I did find a slight bur on the bottom side of the barrel ramp....a little file work and some polishing and its good. I wouldn't say I would never buy a Kimber, but for the money I just cant see the Taurus being beaten.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My Taurus 1911 has a trigger that's "perfect", my gun expert friend says.

All I know is that it shoots good and reliably. Gilda is just too shiny to go 'dancing' regularly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yeah, almost forgot. Neither gun " outshot" the other. We attribute the 2 misfeeds to the Kimber not being broken in. The concern was with a thousand dollar gun not being even close to the POA. The BG would be very dead looking down the business end of either weapon. As far as trigger goes they were so very similiar that I wont change it on my Taurus. I was told that no work had been done to the Taurus but thats really just taking someones word. The trigger is so smooth and light I dont see any need to mess with it. I did find a slight bur on the bottom side of the barrel ramp....a little file work and some polishing and its good. I wouldn't say I would never buy a Kimber, but for the money I just cant see the Taurus being beaten.
It very possible - & maybe even probable - that no work was done on the Taurus trigger. The trigger on my 9MM PT 1911B is nice, although I've only put about 200 rounds through the gun & that may have cleaned up the trigger a little bit, I recall it being nice out of the box. I don't know that it feels better than any of my Kimber 1911s; certainly not better than my CDP but again that is a Kimber Custom Shop pistol that carries a price tag between 2 & 3 times the ticket for a PT. I wish the Taurus shot to POA (with a 6:00 hold); it's nothing that a new front sight or an adjustable rear sight won't cure. Still, I know how your friend feels as I wish I didn't have to do it.

I'd like to buy another Taurus 1911, but I really don't need another 5" .45ACP as I have the Kimber Stainless. I have the 9MM; I could buy a .38 Super as I want to own a 1911 in that caliber but my gut tells me I want that gun to be a Colt. I wish Taurus would come out with the PT 1911 in a Commander 4.25" length, or a 4" length, or even 3" in 9MM. I'd be willing to part with my $$ for any one of those!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts