Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guy's/Gal's

I have been in my LGS several times over the past month and always looking for a Lever 357/38. They showed me a Citadel LevTac 357, Tactical lever gun really. Nope not interested in a Black Lever. So I was in there again yesterday talking with Friend/Owner and looked at that 357 again. Picked it up this time and it just hit me. This thing feels great in my hand. I always have to cut my Levers down to 12.5" LOP. This thing was already at 12.5" LOP.

Never heard of Citadel so asked the owner about them. They look just like a Rossi R92, in fact the model is a LevTac R92. Sure enough, built in Brazil by CBC I believe owned by Taurus. Life Time warranty.

This thing has an M-Lok forearm plastic butt stock, 16" threaded barrel and Big Loop Lever. With rail and peep sight on her. Just down right comfortable to shoot.

Bought her and got her home. First thing put a sling on her and the front swivel that is pressed in came off the forearm. No big deal had a swivel with machine threads and a nut so all fixed up and better than new. Next wrapped the lever with some Nylon string. Took her to the range today. Out of the box set as low as possible it was shooting about 3" high at 25 yards. Moved the rear sight lower than it allows (the sight Allen screw does not touch the rail at this low setting. The sight is half off the rail. So I took the rail off and drilled the underneath of it and threaded it for a Allen screw. Put the sight back on where I had set it and all good. Rear sight nice and tight and will not move. It is now as low as it will go and shooting approx. .5" high with 38 and dead on with 357 at 25 yards. I only hunt steel plates so that's great for me.

I am extremely happy with this rifle. I would have never thought, will it replace my Marlins. Nope, but I bet I shoot it more than my Marlins. Did not have a hiccup with it. Not my style rifle but just a great comfortable shooter. Holds 10 rounds 38 and 8 in 357.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You didn't tell us what kind of a deal you got on it. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
794 Posts
Still, for what you got vs. the current inflated high demand gun prices, I would say you did ok on the deal. IMO, .357 leverguns are always a higher demand caliber even in good times plus it looks like you got a threaded barrel for possible suppressor use. Not a bad catch in all.

Reactions: ThirdWatcher

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
You'll stand out in a crowd! I wonder if SASS is going to sanction them. It works off the Marlin Guide Gun with the picatinny rail and goes far past there. Congrats on the new lever gun!

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
567 Posts
Interesting. I have a couple of Citadel 1911s that are made by Armscor in the Philippines. Armscor also manufactures Rock Island Armory 1911s. I don't know anything about their rifles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This rifle is definitely made by Rossi. Barrel states made in Brazil by CBC. So I guess they must be like Browning and have things made in different countries by different manufactures. I really have liked Rossi levers in the past. I was looking to buy another Rossi because I had gotten rid of mine due to wanting side eject models (Marlins which I Love). So I am happy to have this. CBC is owned by Taurus who also owns Rossi. Life time warranty which for Rossi is hit or miss. My first two Rossi were really good and never had any problems. So far on this one the only problems initially were hard to feed the rounds in the loading gate. Rossi uses the same size magazine spring in all their lever's so it is just a little to stiff for the 16" barrel. I cut three inches off and still left 5" hanging out of the magazine tube before putting it back in. The loading gate was really tension stiff also. Took it out and filed the edge to make the spring tension a little less, not much but a little bit and then sanded the edge smooth. Now it is much easier to load the rounds into the magazine, no problems. When I first got it home a placed a sling on it and the front swivel stud that is pressed into the forearm popped right out. Called Citadel and asked for a replacement forearm. No luck they did not have any, the way they handle their warranty right now with all the parts shortages is just sent you another rifle when they receive yours. I told them no thanks, I had two machine threaded swivels on hand with nuts. So that is what I did, put the swivel on with Blue Loctite and tightened it down. Now that swivel is stronger than it was originally made. All is good with her now. Seems like good quality metal used in the rifle. I did also find a big burr on the lifter that I filed off when reassembling the rifle after the loading gate repairs. Very happy with the rifle. It shoots so well. I also forgot that at 25 yards the rear sight was to high at it lowest level. If you took it all the way down the back half of the sight was off the rail and the Allen Screw that tightens it down was also off the rail. Easy fix, I took the rail off the rifle and drilled and tapped an Allen screw through the bottom and tightened the sight down that way with some blue Loctite on the Allen screw. Work's great and solid as can be. The sight must be set from factory at 50 yards. I am not a hunter so I shoot steel at 25 yards on my home 31 steel plate range Range. Great fun. Mostly set up for 22 levers but this on the bigger plates is good to go. But with the sight modification 38's were shooting an inch high and .357 were dead center. All good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
congratulations ,nice rifle --------has a lot more features than my .357 Rossi . I do like traditionally styled rifles better though. i`m impatiently waiting for Ruger manufactured
marlins . I hope the new marlins don`t cost as much as Henrys . ---------

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Nice rifle - it's a departure from traditional lever actions but -- hey it has a modern look! I'd say you got a pretty decent deal on that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pualky
That would work but with the peep sight my eye's really don't need the scope as of yet. Getting there though.

Thanks guy's for the replies, If it did not fit so well and such a short light weight rifle I would not have bought it. But the thing just works for my size (5'5") 12.5" LOP

I do also have a small hand stop on the way for the forearm.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Interesting reinterpretation of the classic lever gun. A red dot or scout scope would make sense with the current configuration.

That big loop looks cool but it isn't as useful as one would initially think when trying to shoot at speed. Every CAS shooter that I've shot with that started with a big loop swapped it for a standard loop in short order. It will bang your fingers to death if you shoot at speed a lot.

·
Super Moderator
37,646 Posts
Interesting reinterpretation of the classic lever gun. A red dot or scout scope would make sense with the current configuration.

That big loop looks cool but it isn't as useful as one would initially think when trying to shoot at speed. Every CAS shooter that I've shot with that started with a big loop swapped it for a standard loop in short order. It will bang your fingers to death if you shoot at speed a lot.
Hmmm...the Henry I have on backorder has a bigger lever loop, but I'm probably not going to shoot 45-70 at speed. :oops:

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle!

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I'm a traditional type guy, especially with lever guns. But, I gotta admit, I'm liking the possibilities of the threaded barrel. My ears don't need to get any worse. :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
On the loop,
I do not shoot for speed. I do not compete. Getting to set in my way's and competing would make it to much like work and not enjoyable for me. A lot of people like to compete just not me. Takes the fun out of it for me.
The big loops are great and I like to use them. You do not operate a big loop in the same way as a normal lever. It's not down and up on a big loop, It's front to back.

Czechbikr
The Henry 45/70 I have the steel in that caliber. I believe the model number is H010, it comes with a medium size loop. I can actually operate that loop front to back or up and down. Nice rifle also. As you can tell by the picture, yes I shortened the LOP to 12.5" I still need to sand some more and match the finish but it is mostly done.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write-up. There's one in the store where I work, and I've been curious. At the very least, the info will help me sell it, and, with a several thousand round stash of 357 on hand....we'll see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I like it in the black. Something different than the wood stock lever action. Thanks for the information and pictures. Hope you enjoy your new gun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
congratulations brother on your new rifle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts