Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought one a couple of weeks ago and I like it. My first semi automatic, as well as my first 22LR caliber.

Shot 16 rounds of Winchester M22 40g round nose and 21 CCI Mini-Mag 40g round nose. Had 1 CCI that jammed ( didn't load ), but I won't blame the gun or the ammo yet, because I did not check the magazine beforehand to see if it was loaded properly ( staggered ).

Two noob mistakes. I shoot left-handed and got bit on my right hand thumb by the slide. Just a nick.

And then after I left the range I realized that I was not pulling the trigger back to the wall/stop before firing. Just a straight one motion pull. I'm sure that cost me a bit of accuracy. That said, I was surprised at the accuracy as a first time shooter of a semi-auto. Last five shots were aimed at the head of the silhouette on the target at 20 yards. 2 about dead center and the other three within 3" of center.

First four or five rounds hit low and to the left, but the accuracy improved steadily so I'll leave the sights alone for now.

I got to say that my experience with the TX22 at the range was the first time I actually had fun shooting. My previous shooting experience has been simply shooting four or five rounds through the couple of small frame 38 revolvers I have owned as well as a 18.5" barrel 12 gauge pump just to get acquainted with the recoil. Those where purchased just for home defense.

Anyhow, I must be hooked because Monday I'm going to purchase a three months membership at the local range and plan to stop by there on the way to work 4 or 5 days a week.

Plus I'm already thinking of trading in my Taurus 85 for a second TX22 or the Kel-Tec PMR-30.

I'll post more thoughts about the TX22 after I run a couple hundred more rounds out of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on a good looking pistol! And a holster too!

As for the slide bite I'm thinking maybe you have your right thumb "over" the left thumb, like gripping a revolver, and the thumb is behind the slide. Maybe? If that's the case...stop doing that! Go to YouTube and search how to properly grip a semi-auto pistol. There are tons of them. Watch a few and they will most likely tell you to use a 2 thumbs forward grip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on a good looking pistol! And a holster too!

As for the slide bite I'm thinking maybe you have your right thumb "over" the left thumb, like gripping a revolver, and the thumb is behind the slide. Maybe? If that's the case...stop doing that! Go to YouTube and search how to properly grip a semi-auto pistol. There are tons of them. Watch a few and they will most likely tell you to use a 2 thumbs forward grip.
Thanks for taking time to reply ! Yep, total noob mistake on my part regarding the bite.

I'll check out the videos after work.. thanks for that suggestion !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from South Texas. Glad you like the gun.
I do like it and surprised at the accuracy at 20 and 25 yards for my first time shooting a semi-automatic.

And I'm sure it will only get better !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Btw, The holster is made by Forged Tec. I found it on Etsy. Ordered it late Wednesday night and got it this morning. Good seller that doesn't jack up shipping cost.

Being a noob, I'm not up on top-shelf holsters but I'm very happy with this one.

( no affiliation just a happy customer )

·
8,656 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking TX22. I love mine here is a review I did.
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/...409229-taurus-tx-22-review-big-ammo-test.html

I also used it to take out a bobcat that was eating all my free range chickens:
https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/pt92-other-taurus-pistols/411375-big-cats-vs-tx22.html
Thanks, and I did read your thread on the Bobcat a couple of days ago. Good stuff 👍

I live here in the city limits where I can't shoot the outdoors but we do have possums, raccoons, and the occasional rat.

I'm taking early retirement in February and thinking about moving to Central Kentucky where my family lives, so I'll be able to shoot some critters down there if they get out of line.

This neighborhood is getting rough and everyone is trying to get me to move out of here.

Anyhow, we'll see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
~200 rounds now

I don't think it likes Winchester M22. Had a few FTL and 1 that loaded in the chamber but right as I was getting ready to pull the trigger, I felt the slide move forward a bit. Removed the magazine and tried to eject the cartridge but it stayed in the chamber. Locked the slide back and had to push the cartridge out with a cleaning rod. Didn't take much to get it out but it was too snug to pick out with the point of a knife blade.

Switched to CCI and all is well. No issues.

I think the barrel on mine is fine. I can't see any chattering and after about two hundred rounds I cleaned it and there wasn't much leading at all.

I did notice I have to keep an eye on the magazines when I load them to make sure the rounds are staggered. No big deal though.

Going to shoot 200-300 more rounds of CCI and see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts