Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
witness 10mm.jpg

Last October I inadvertently got back into 10mm after winning a new Colt Delta Elite. I started to miss my old 10mm Witness that I parted with nearly 20 years ago in favor of a .45 ACP.

Well opportunity raised it's head for a newer model for the same price I parted for the old one. For the money, the all steel Witness line is hard to beat. They are not perfect, and the newer low profile sights tend to cause people to shoot low. This one is no exception, but it isn't too bad at a couple inches at 10 yards. The windage was perfect.

You'll hear about slide cracking on the 10mm Witness with some of the earlier models. There is a chance and when looking at a 10mm you need to look close. However, what I've found is that Tanfoglio uses too light of a recoil spring. Most of the time you find a 15lbs spring, and unfortunately that is the factory spring. With a 15lbs spring, do not count on recovering very much brass. It reality, you should probably have 22-24lbs spring in them. Mine currently has a 22lbs spring and the brass is still thrown farther than I like, 12 to 15 feet from 40+. I think some of the problem lies in US loadings for 10mm which is not much more than a .40 S&W +P. Full 10mm loads are a bit hotter and typically comparable to a full loaded .357 Mag. On another note, you'll find the 15lbs spring the same in their .40's.

My new one was no exception to the recoil spring issue and it was replaced right off. Grouping was very good with S&B and PPU 180gr FMJ. Also their JHP ammo work flawless. I'll probably replace the rear sight. I have a LPA for the Witness, but not for the low profile LPA dovetail. These are the Tanfoglio large frame, but because of the profile of the grip where your thumb and index finger is located, it feels smaller than what it is and all the controls are well within reach for a medium size hand.

I'm not keen on the light rail, but it fits fine in the same M12 flap holster that my PT92 fits in. So it might go camping with me this month for open carry, but I'll have a hard time leaving the 686 at home. Then again, I could take both. :D

The full size is advertised as a 15 round capacity. It is 14+1. After all these year, I thought they would have corrected that. With a 4.5" barrel. If you compare it to the CZ version, there isn't one other than Dan Wesson and it's a 1911. :icon_ devil:

I think Jeff Cooper would have found this budget version of the Bren 10 to be more than acceptable. So if you were looking for a 10mm and not a 1911, I think you should give this old school DA/SA a good look. It's a little wide in the butt, and not much in the way of a slide to grab, but it brings a smile to my face when I shoot it.

Maloy

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice report Maloy. I wanted a 10mm Witness and waited patiently for months to see them back in stock but I ran out of patience and got the 38 Super Witness instead. They are fantastic pistols. I carry it when I'm out in the boonies of Arizona in case I encounter mountian lions or Javelina. 17 rounds of hot 147gn XTPs and I'm never worried. You're right about the recoil springs being way too weak. I replaced mine as soon as I realized that full power reloads were pretty rough on the gun. Can't remember which one I went up to but Wolff was what I got. Grips were the problem, couldn't find any that fit. I ended up getting the Hogue 75000, which is for a CZ 75. It was too small and the inside too thick but a bit of surgery and heat got it to fit real well. Makes a huge difference over the plastic originals. I'm hoping to get the 10mm next.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

·
Registered
7,770 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
View attachment 444105

Last October I inadvertently got back into 10mm after winning a new Colt Delta Elite. I started to miss my old 10mm Witness that I parted with nearly 20 years ago in favor of a .45 ACP.

Maloy
WHAT IS WITH YOU and buying all these furren made pistols???
one thing that Tanfoglio has done and I think now its in the entire line up is they now use a redesigned recoil guide rod and that seems to eliminated the slide battering and cracking.
I got 2 of the 10 MM and both are running fine.
now the Elite Match I put in a 18 pound recoil spring and in the standard witness I put in a 21 pound recoil spring just in case.
the 21 pounder now is handful to rack to be honest, the Elite Match with the 18 and a much smoother slide and action isn't that bad.
Me likes all that capacity and the 10 MM, once in a blue moon when I trip to inner Atlanta I pack either the Tang 10 MM, or more often the Tang 38 Super (even more capacity) , figure if I run across a rabid marta bus or Rhino I will be OK.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
Nice report Maloy. I wanted a 10mm Witness and waited patiently for months to see them back in stock but I ran out of patience and got the 38 Super Witness instead. They are fantastic pistols. I carry it when I'm out in the boonies of Arizona in case I encounter mountian lions or Javelina. 17 rounds of hot 147gn XTPs and I'm never worried. You're right about the recoil springs being way too weak. I replaced mine as soon as I realized that full power reloads were pretty rough on the gun. Can't remember which one I went up to but Wolff was what I got. Grips were the problem, couldn't find any that fit. I ended up getting the Hogue 75000, which is for a CZ 75. It was too small and the inside too thick but a bit of surgery and heat got it to fit real well. Makes a huge difference over the plastic originals. I'm hoping to get the 10mm next.
GEEEEZZ!
A furren made gun and a weird caliber!!
you guys are going over the falls!!!
Whats happening???

Attachments

Reactions: funflyer

·
Super Moderator
36,003 Posts
Congratulations on the new pistol! Winning a 10mm is probably the only thing that would get me into another caliber.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
Congratulations on the new pistol! Winning a 10mm is probably the only thing that would get me into another caliber.

He-He-He--Yea right!
you know that you are eventually going to cave to us ENABLERS, its just a matter of time, it is after all Futile to resist!!!
we are making plans as I speak--ahh Type!

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,796 Posts
Congratulations on your new 10mm Witness and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

I've had a long and happy association with the Tanfoglio Cz75 Clones and in particular the large frame .45 Witness, of which I have two of.
For a few seasons my older .45 Witness was my Winter Carry Pistol of choice.

I have occasionally converted my older .45 Witness to .45 Super, which mainly consists of installing a 10mm Sprinco Recoil Reducer and an 18 lb Recoil Spring.
A Sprinco Recoil Reducer for the 10mm Witness is something you may wish to consider. Also, Hennings makes an improved Recoil Spring Guide Rod that distributes the Recoil to the Frame more evenly.

EAA Witness .45 (1992)
EAA Witness .45 (2005)
SAR K2-45 (2013)

·
Registered
36,283 Posts

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
. Also, Hennings makes an improved Recoil Spring Guide Rod that distributes the Recoil to the Frame more even)
Just a note-- I bought and installed one of those in my first standard eaa witness in 10 MM, then the 10 MM and the 38 Super Elite Match came from the factory with them installed.
they appeared to be the exact same thing?
so don't know if Hennings got his from EAA or IF EAA contracted parts from Hennings?
anyway not sure all are that way or not but my 2 Elites were.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I want a 10mm at some point.
Tread carefully, scratching that itch can open another universe with no known barriers.

I waited patiently on the sidelines - stalking the option of adopting a new caliber. I have a safe that is running over with tons of my “established” calibers, the latest buildup being 357 Sig, 357 MAG and even shoring up my supplies of the lowly 32ACPs, 32 S&W, etc.

I did eventually break into 10mm and it is milder shooting than I thought.

And, I bet Jeff Cooper would be bubbling with joy with the eruption of the 10mm over the last couple of years. I’m seeing 10mm going through a market surge like 380 ACP did 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
Tread carefully, scratching that itch can open another universe with no known barriers.

I did eventually break into 10mm and it is milder shooting than I thought.

o.
ahh factory loads or hand loads??
most factory loads are pretty mild to be honest, now a few companies load self defense ammo to SAAMI, like underwood.
Now I am not recoil sensitive and don't find the 10 MM to be objectional but I can tell when I shoot a 10 MM vs anything else in my small arsenal of calibers.
now all my loads even range are not powder puffs and self defense is right at SAAMI pressures.
lots of difference as well in say a glock 10 that's lighter weight with all the poly than steel frame as well.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
That is a sweet looking 10mm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts