Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I picked it up lat night after 39 days of waiting for my paperwork to come back ( and that's relatively good because I have a Collectors License so my paperwork comes back faster than for those that don't have one!! Pity me - I live in Maryland -and as all the Texans have chided me there's no Blue Bell ice cream here either! VBG!) DH put the new Hogue grips on it for me last night when we got home, and first thing this morning we went to the range (we were the only ones there) and I put 100 rounds of CCI mini mag thru it (I've been saving a box just for this occasion!). Boy howdy - this is one great revolver!

The sights are very easy to see, it sits down in my hand and doesn't move at all unless I move and it's pretty darn accurate. It's a nice heavy piece that will help me with my larger caliber handguns, plus I just really enjoyed shooting it. Didn't even give DH a chance to shoot it! I did find the hammer a bit heavy to pull back for one or two cylinders, but I am hoping that a 25 cal torpedo brush will help clean the cylinders out so that the rounds seat better and I haven't even polished any of the innards yet, so that will help, too. I shot it mostly SA, as for DA I need both index fingers to pull the trigger back and it takes a bit more concentration on my part - and it was early after all!

If ya'll haven't tried a Tracker yet, find one and hold it! It shoots as good as it feels. It has a totally different feel than the M94- and the trigger and hammer pull are different , too. It's hard to describe the difference - smoother, maybe. Taurus guns are few and far between around my area and when I walked in to one of the LGS and saw it, I immediately pulled out the check book and bought it! DH kind of rolled his eyes at me "another 22???" Then I had to wait and wait! Some folks on this forum enlightened me as to the Hogue grips and I ordered them while waiting for my paperwork to come back. I like the 7 shots - I was only going to put 5 rounds in at a time (I've been shooting some SAA), but the 7 shots are nice - not as many as the M94, which is good 'cause I always flub one or two of the 9 rounds with the 94 (guess I loose my concentration). Kind of wish it was blue, since this is the only stainless piece I have; but heck, it'll make it easier to clean! Unfortunately - Hogue nor Taurus make pink Tracker grips like I got for my 5" M94, though!! And perhaps I should have at least fired it once with the original Taurus squishy grips- I didn't even give them a chance!

After the trip to the range we went to the Antique Fire Arms Show for a while, then came in to work. We're going back to the antique firearm show after work - there was sooo much to look at! All beautiful old pieces of history!!

Anyway - here is a picture of my new baby and a couple of practice targets. I'm not really an artistic picture taker like so many of you on the forum, but the quilt batting was close at hand for the background!
A Fractured Irish Blessing To ya'll: May Your Ammo Boxes Always Be Full!
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Fantastic find there Sekol! Doggone good shooting too. Once the hysteria dies down, I would love to find a Tracker 22LR like that.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fantastic find there Sekol! Doggone good shooting too. Once the hysteria dies down, I would love to find a Tracker 22LR like that.
Aww shucks! thank you, VZ, you are kind!! Yes - the Taurus 970 Tracker is awesome! I'm so glad that I jumped on the purchase and didn't even waffle thinking about it! It's a great bargain in today's world of overpriced firearms - but finding one was difficult. Now, If I can just convince the 22lr ammo fairy to stop by my house....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Pretty cool! I know I sure like my 990 Tracker.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice purchase there girl. Taurus' are great looking guns. I like the vented barrel, or whatever you call it. You know where there are slots thru the top...
Im a dummy, what does DH stand for ?
Going to now update my "OH" thread.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DH stands for Darling Husband, or "dang" husband or - whatever - at any given moment!! And you're not a dummy! I've been asked this before and I guess it's just that you guys don't refer to yourselves and many of us female types refer to you, our husbands, as DH in this new fangled techno lingo! It's almost kind of like SANFU (now that's showing my age!) where the F can stand for a host of different things - depending upon the type of company you keep!;)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice find!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sekol, If I told you that the "XYL" went to the range with me, that one may stump you. Its "ex young lady, meaning spouse, sent in "morse code" Nothing negative meant what so ever. YL is just young lady. It is a "ham radio" abreviation. Like QTH is my home location. Dah Dit Dah is for K, or, over to you.
Maybe a little OT, but I did mention the "range".

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Nice gun and group, mine shoots much better than the new 992. Would not trade the older gun for a dozen of the new ones. Hopefully the 992 is sold, will know soon. Would love to have a 4" barrel 970. Will say a prayer you find some 22 ammo.

·
5,686 Posts
I LOVE the Tracker series! Congrats on your newest baby! I hope I come across one here for a good deal some day. AND....Good shooting! :)

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Nice looking gun, I've been think about another .22 revolver that might be a good option. The pic is fine but would you take a picture of your kid that dirty?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hee-hee! You guys are funny - that poor dirty Tracker got it's picture taken right after it came back from the range! I didn't even wipe it down! I did clean it last night and took it back to the range first thing this morning and dang it - it's dirty all over again! Yesterday wasn't just a fluke - it really does shoot incredibly well, and after a good cleaning with of the cylinder with the 25 cal torpedo brush last night, no more hang ups when pulling the hammer back. I even let DH shoot it today and he kept all rounds with in a quarter sized area (he really is my hero) - then he turns to me and says "this is an easy gun to shoot"! Talk about a back handed compliment!!

This 970 was very reasonably priced - and the LGS I bought it from is notorious for not discounting - but they are very helpful, do a good job at odd smithing challenges we've given them, and I want to be sure to support them. The only problem being that the M970 might not be all that easy to find - there are definitely more 992's around, but Tauri in general are rare in my area. The sights alone are worth getting the 970- I can actually see them at the dark indoor range we shoot at! The front red sight is brilliant and the rear white box makes it very easy to line up! The porting may be what makes it such a steady piece that gives consecutively accurate results.
Since today is St Patrick's Day - if any of you get hold of a leprechaun, tell him to keep his gold, just give us 22lr!:)

·
5,686 Posts
"Since today is St Patrick's Day - if any of you get hold of a leprechaun, tell him to keep his gold, just give us 22lr!:)"

AMEN to that!!!

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice gun and group, mine shoots much better than the new 992. Would not trade the older gun for a dozen of the new ones. Hopefully the 992 is sold, will know soon. Would love to have a 4" barrel 970. Will say a prayer you find some 22 ammo.
TOR - maybe the 970 shoots so well is because that's all it does - shoots 22lr. We have as Ruger single six with 2 interchangeable cylinders and it doesn't shoot quite as well as I would like it to...

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
congrats and have fun with your new baby. :thumb:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice looking gun, I've been think about another .22 revolver that might be a good option. The pic is fine but would you take a picture of your kid that dirty?
That is a "shot" gun; clean ones live in the safe. Guns, like motorcycles, only stay clean if they are unused. Furthermore the real test of how a revolver functions is if it works dirty. I'm sure Sekol gave it a bath before putting it away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Sekol,

Yes those are some nice guns, I have been looking for one for a while now! I stumbled up on one last week while
out on ammo patrol. It is a 992, with both .22LR & .22 mag. It is a 9 shot with some very nice sights on it! I may
ditch the grips too, not real big on the skwooshy feel. They are O.K. but the Hogues are more my style.

Congrats on the new "Mohaska"!

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey there 1911J -welcome to the world of revolvers!!What a great firearm the 22 Trackers are!! Have you shoot yours yet?? It sure does make you feel good when you can hit the 10's!!;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts