Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say first I was disappointed when only firing 8 rounds through my new 1911 .45 the extractor broke. I sent it back to the dealer I bought it from and he sent it in to Taurus for repair. I came back within a week! WOW what a great turn around time. I hope I do not have any other problems out of my gun. If I do, I plan to have a gunsmith install a stronger / best on the market - extractor as I feel your gun should shoot fine each and every time.

·
Registered
29,937 Posts
1911 extractors can go at any time, but 8 rounds is a bit short! :D

I'm glad it is up and running for you. If you do get a different brand, make sure it works with the firing pin plunger. Taurus has a different cut and might not hold it in. You might need to replace the extractor, the plunger, and the plunger spring.

Reactions: A-TEAM 513

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Yep, theres no guarantee that any other extractor is going to last any longer than Taurus brand, its all in how they are tuned, how strong the metal is , how its treated to give it spring qualities as well as how the shooter operates the gun.
IE chamber loading rounds.
A week is great turn around ,my PT1911 38 Super has been In Miami for about 2 weeks now awaiting an extractor as well, mine I beleive was simply not heat treated correctly and would lose its grip after 50-70 rounds of ammo.
anyway, the best insurance for an extractor breakage is to order a couple extra, then you got them on hand and can install them in about 10 minutes.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Super Moderator
38,597 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois!

I probably have 7000 +/- rounds through my PT 1911 .45 with the original extractor. If you've not read it here already or didn't know, you never want to drop in a round through the top of the slide. The slide needs to strip it off the magazine in order to position the extractor over the rim.

Having a spare is a great idea...I need to get one also as I probably am on borrowed time.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Well Czech. its not really about age, or even brand, its about Murphys law!
you know if you got extra light bulbs then they never burn out, if you got an extra cigarette lighter then it never runs out of fluid, if you got a spare tire you never have a flat!
but just don't have any of those or an extra extractor and see what happens!
see i am living proof!
i got 2 extra Taurus 1911-45 extractors, a couple atfermarket extractors for my other 1911; but No, I ain't got an extra 38 super extractor, and guess which one was bad!-LOL

·
Super Moderator
22,002 Posts
Regardless of design I have had more extractors break on a 1911 then any other gun I own or have owned. keep a spare they are not expensive and are pretty easy to replace. JMO.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new firearm. Hope you don't have any more problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, theres no guarantee that any other extractor is going to last any longer than Taurus brand, its all in how they are tuned, how strong the metal is , how its treated to give it spring qualities as well as how the shooter operates the gun.
IE chamber loading rounds.
A week is great turn around ,my PT1911 38 Super has been In Miami for about 2 weeks now awaiting an extractor as well, mine I beleive was simply not heat treated correctly and would lose its grip after 50-70 rounds of ammo.
anyway, the best insurance for an extractor breakage is to order a couple extra, then you got them on hand and can install them in about 10 minutes.
Thats some good advise regarding having an extractor on hand, they will be needed at some point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts