Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a week ago I ordered a brand new M&P40 Shield 1.0 Performance Center online for the excellent price of only $359.99! A couple days later it arrived at my LGS and I picked it up in the afternoon. At first glance, the M&P40 Shield 1.0 PC was obviously "new old stock" judging by its very appearance both on the surface of the box and within. The box had some tell-tale signs that it had just been sitting somewhere collecting dust for awhile, (DOB = 01/2017) and the pistol itself was bone dry, it's preservative apparently having long since dried out. However, the tritium inserts on the sights are still nice and bright.

Being a Performance Center model, it has a ported barrel/slide as well as tritium night sights, both of which should come in handy since I do intend to carry this pistol in the future. Typically I'm not fond of porting, but my opinions of porting are largely based on hearsay, as I have never owned nor shot a firearm with a ported barrel. However, for the price I paid, I don't care, if I end up shooting it and disliking the porting, then I can always buy a replacement barrel sans porting down the line, but I think it might actually come in handy on such a lightweight .40cal pistol, and based on what I've seen, when fired at night the flash from the porting appears impressive/potentially intimidating, yet not at all blinding.

My only problem now is that all of my range ammo is CCI Blazer Brass, which has a warning printed on the box against shooting it out of ported barrels. I tried to buy a box of ammo at my LGS when I picked it up, but all they had in stock was Armscor ammo priced at $36 a box, so I had to pass. I didn't check, but I doubt that cheap Armscor ammo is any safer out of a ported barrel than CCI Blazer, and at $36 for a box of 50 rounds, forget it. It's a Performance Center model anyway, so odds are it's 100% reliable right out of the box, and I don't plan on carrying it right away anyhow because it's so cold that I can still easily carry my SW40VE without issue, which holds twice the ammo in the magazine.

Needless to say, I am most pleased with my purchase. I have been seeking a new lightweight subcompact carry gun for hot Summer days as well as concerns over the possibility that my state of residence may adopt restrictions on magazine capacity in the future, and this M&P40 Shield PC fits the bill quite nicely.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
The Performance Center does put together a nice package. A friend of mine is addicted to them. I think he has 4. I have good friends and he has let me shoot them. Very smooth each and every one. I'm sure you will be happy.
I'm curious though about the warning on the Blazer Brass. (A good reason for keeping original boxes!) I've shot a lot of Blazer Brass, but never noticed the warning. You, sir, are more alert than I!
When I feel good enough to navigate the basement stairs, I will have to check the boxes I have.

EDIT: So I went to the CCI website, and the 165-grain BB has a warning, the 180-gr. does not. So perhaps I do not suffer from an attention deficit disorder. The warning is for specific loads and not all Blazer Brass.

EDIT #2: Browsed the CCI site further, and a lot of the 9mm loads are so marked. But not their Clean-Fire. I wonder if it's not a gun-blowing-up kind of problem, but that in their opinion, the flash is excessive. Mind you, if I had (have) ammo so marked I'm not trying the experiment. But interesting... verrry interesting.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't through means of keen observation that I learned of this, (I'm just as apt to neglect reading every bit of text on ammo boxes as anybody else) I learned of this while watching a YouTube Video on the PC Shield after I had placed my order.
According to the man in the video, it is because Blazer Brass only has a thin copper plating on the bullet not unlike .22LR as opposed to a true copper jacket, ergo it's much easier for the plating to come off and get blasted out the ports than it would be on a proper FMJ.

I just checked in my range bag where I have stored boxes of both 165gr and 180gr Blazer .40 S&W ammo and the warning is unfortunately present on both. It's a possibility that the warning simply isn't present on older boxes, perhaps because the potential danger of shooting it out of ported barrels had not yet been discovered.

Just as well, it'll be awhile before I can get out to the range anyway, so even if ammo were more readily available at more affordable pricing or I happened to already have ammo that didn't warn against firing it through ported barrels it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Congrats on your new slide gun.

Reactions: Tuco_Ramírez

·
Administrator
39,728 Posts
You’ll love your 40 shield. I do mine, although it isn’t ported or have the same sights as yours. The Shield series of pistols are the most comfortable I’ve ever had, and shooting is easy on the user. At least to me it is. Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
It isn't through means of keen observation that I learned of this, (I'm just as apt to neglect reading every bit of text on ammo boxes as anybody else) I learned of this while watching a YouTube Video on the PC Shield after I had placed my order.
According to the man in the video, it is because Blazer Brass only has a thin copper plating on the bullet not unlike .22LR as opposed to a true copper jacket, ergo it's much easier for the plating to come off and get blasted out the ports than it would be on a proper FMJ.

I just checked in my range bag where I have stored boxes of both 165gr and 180gr Blazer .40 S&W ammo and the warning is unfortunately present on both. It's a possibility that the warning simply isn't present on older boxes, perhaps because the potential danger of shooting it out of ported barrels had not yet been discovered.

Just as well, it'll be awhile before I can get out to the range anyway, so even if ammo were more readily available at more affordable pricing or I happened to already have ammo that didn't warn against firing it through ported barrels it wouldn't matter.
I don't think that's it. Many of the Blazer loads do not carry the warning. I don't see any reason why the one load that currently does (165 gr) would be different in construction.
Note that the current listing for the 180 gr load does not carry the warning.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@MadKaw
shrugs I have no idea what the story is behind it then. Both boxes of ammo include the warning and they're both of fairly recent manufacture. So unless CCI has changed their Blazer Brass in the past year or so, or otherwise have since determined that their ammo is not in fact dangerous to shoot out of ported barrels so they retracted the warning, I cannot account for the discrepancy.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
@MadKaw
shrugs I have no idea what the story is behind it then. Both boxes of ammo include the warning and they're both of fairly recent manufacture. So unless CCI has changed their Blazer Brass in the past year or so, or otherwise have since determined that their ammo is not in fact dangerous to shoot out of ported barrels so they retracted the warning, I cannot account for the discrepancy.
I will shrug alongside you.🏋️‍♂️🚯 (couldn't find a shrug emoji...)
Anyway, enjoy your fine new gun... even if you are reduced to merely fondling it. :)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New old stock like this is very welcome, especially when it drives down the cost because there's a 2.0 Version with only minor differences (abbreviated front slide serrations and a more aggressive grip texture) that I don't even care about.

·
Administrator
35,308 Posts
Very nice ! Can't wait to see a full range report on it. I picked up a M&P 40 cal at a gun show last year, full sized and about the same price you paid for yours, it keeps shooting very low and S&W is going to send me a replacement lower front sight, when they get them back in stock. I'm hoping that is sooner instead of later.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually wanted the M&P45 Shield the most, but they were always either out of stock or being sold at some absurdly jacked up price online, so I settled for the .40 because the deal was just too good to pass up.

Just as well, I've actually become a big fan of the .40 S&W cartridge since I bought my SW40VE just over a year ago, and have no issue with the recoil out of the 24oz compact pistol, so it will probably be fine out of the Shield too.
Although I did hesitate at first because of some stupid made up reports of KABOOMs with the M&P40 Shield, but fortunately it was pretty easy to figure out they were phony since they all happened in 2014 and they were all posted by drive-by accounts, so now the only mention of such occurrences merely references those old threads.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I purchased a 9mm shield for my son on Christmas a few years ago. I liked so much I bought a PC 40 for myself.

Congratulations on the new gun, they are excellent.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If/when you're able to locate so ammo would appreciate a range report that looks like a pretty interesting pistol. I've been a 40 S&W fan for a long time. Switched to 9mm and then back a few years ago. The grip on it doesn't look any longer than my M&P 40c and that would be my only problem. I don't care for the dangling pinky. I do wish there was more under cutting on the trigger guard but with the placement of the mag release I can see why they don't. I'd like to know what you think of the recoil out of the smaller/lighter pistol with porting. I'd always thought the 40 would be too stout for such a light pistol but with the porting I'd be interested in how it is. I've been looking at the PC for summer carry and can't find anyone with a 40 to ask.

·
Administrator
39,728 Posts
OP’s pictures show the 6 round magazine, which is shorter than the 7 rounders. They have a sleeve, so no dangling pinky. I ordered two extra 7 rounders for mine and keep the 6 for standby. Still the most concealable pistol I’ve ever carried.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If/when you're able to locate so ammo would appreciate a range report that looks like a pretty interesting pistol. I've been a 40 S&W fan for a long time. Switched to 9mm and then back a few years ago. The grip on it doesn't look any longer than my M&P 40c and that would be my only problem. I don't care for the dangling pinky. I do wish there was more under cutting on the trigger guard but with the placement of the mag release I can see why they don't. I'd like to know what you think of the recoil out of the smaller/lighter pistol with porting. I'd always thought the 40 would be too stout for such a light pistol but with the porting I'd be interested in how it is. I've been looking at the PC for summer carry and can't find anyone with a 40 to ask.
It will most likely be awhile before I get to shoot it, but I'll definitely post a range report once I have.

Whether or not the M&P40 Shield will fit your hand is probably best answered by handling one personally at a Gun Shop. Prior to receiving mine, I had assumed that it wouldn't fit my hand because nearly every review I had read on it either complained that the grip was too thin, too short, or both, but much to my surprise, it actually fits my hand like a glove with the flush fit magazine inserted. I'm not a little guy either, I stand 6ft tall, weigh 200lbs, and I'm an amateur bodybuilder. I expected my pinky finger to dangle off the grip with the flush magazine and even had some Pearce Grip Extenders saved in my Amazon Shopping Cart for it, but I've since discovered that I really don't need them. I can get about ¾ of my little finger on the grip with the flush magazine inserted, and that's good enough for me.

As far as recoil goes, I doubt that it would be a big deal. The M&P40 Shield weighs about 20oz unloaded, and having fired my 24oz SW40VE without any issue whatsoever with the recoil, I presume that a ported Shield won't feel much different. Honestly, the recoil of the .40 S&W cartridge is grossly overstated, IMO.
My Walther PPK/S and Ruger LCP have far more snappy recoil that my SW40VE, and they're both chambered in .380 ACP. Granted that the LCP is a 10oz Pocket Pistol and the PPK/S is straight blowback, but my point is that felt recoil typically has less to do with the cartridge and more to do with the firearm you shoot it out of. As far as the M&P40 Shield goes, I've seen the statement made on many occasions that the pistol has surprisingly little recoil, and that's in its stock configuration, sans ported barrel.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
As far as recoil, there are not many small guns I would want to put 200 rounds through in an afternoon, 9mm or 40.
As with any gun, if you give it a good two hand grip and squeeze her, the recoil is very manageable.
Normally 40s&w has more flip than 9mm, but the porting does seem to help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts